IGNORED

What size wrench for steering head nut?

Midrsv

27mm but it is tight if you do not take the handle bars off.

Yep, 27mm it is, I have that one oddball wrench hanging on the wall, and yes it's a tight squeeze, but can be done with the handlebars on, just got to keep flipping the bars bck and forth to use it.

Later, Scooter Bob

Ok Dennis,

You didn't say why you were wanting to take this nut off? If I ever took it off, it would be to take the top triple tree off, which would also necessitate taking the handlebars off.

But if it's just to tighten it up, you should know thaty the torque specs for this nut is 94 ft lbs. So this means you really need a 3/4" drive socket and not a wrench. You really wouldn't think that keeping this nut tight to the correct specs is that important.....but it is. If you ever hear or feel your steering head clunking, this nut is usually the culpret.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I've had the problem trying to achive the proper torque. On the Venture, the dash panel presents the problem when placing a socket on the nut. There is no room to add the torque wrench.

I had the problem of a low speed shimmy. Even with the manufactors torque on the stem bearings of 2.2 ft lb. I ended up ajusting the lower ring nut such that there was no bounce at the end of right, and left, turn fork position.

I even took the bike back to the dealer and complained about the problem. They said it was fine. Since I reajusted it as discribed above no more shimmy.

Edited by rbjohnsn
added signature

Ok Dennis,

You didn't say why you were wanting to take this nut off? If I ever took it off, it would be to take the top triple tree off, which would also necessitate taking the handlebars off.

But if it's just to tighten it up, you should know thaty the torque specs for this nut is 94 ft lbs. So this means you really need a 3/4" drive socket and not a wrench. You really wouldn't think that keeping this nut tight to the correct specs is that important.....but it is. If you ever hear or feel your steering head clunking, this nut is usually the culpret.

Hope this helps,

Rick

You need to loosen this nut up to tighten the neck bearing nuts underneath the triple tree. Snug neck bearings = no shimmy. Best to cut off an allen wrench and loosen the top fork tube clamps when doing so, so we don't stress the top tree.

Just my .02, Scooter Bob