IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Rode it in some of the strongest crosswinds I've ever experienced. Riding to Glacier national park in Montana. If you ever come here BRING PLENTY OF MONEY! It's supposed to be America's least visited National Park now I no why!

Rode it in some of the strongest crosswinds I've ever experienced. Riding to Glacier national park in Montana. If you ever come here BRING PLENTY OF MONEY! It's supposed to be America's least visited National Park now I no why!

It'll get a little breezy up in that area. After the Venture International in Fort Collins @GeorgeS and I split off from the main group heading west onto Hwy30 north in Wyoming.. he to return to Seattle and I to visit my daughter in Idaho... and in between I-80 and Kemmerer we rode thru the worst conditions I, or he, had ever experienced. 65 mph cross winds out of the west on a two lane with 18 wheeler's headed the opposite direction. It was the all time E-Ticket ride. Black skies, thundercloud cells, but luckily no rain. The trick was to time the wind being blocked by the oncoming trucks. You'd be leaning into the wind and then it would disappear for a couple of seconds and then hit you again. It was the big dance... :yikes: By the time we got to Kemmerer we were exhausted...

BTW I was on my '83VR and George was riding.. I think..his '93VR. A 2ndGen fork mounted fairing would have made things a lot worse than they already were...

My brother lives in Kalispell, and we've never had a problem with things being expensive. There's a Motel 6 and a coffee kiosk on the main drag. The last time there we drove up the Road to the Sun and it was free??

Took a ride through the Scenic Rim with a mate Dave who has a 99 same as mine. Nice country roads in the hills and home along the freeway.

Bought a RSTD 98 at a good price and been working on making that a solo bike for work and around town.65becfa7fc2604f0a5631bbcdea56404.jpg391fa197a8fb22bf9e4d1ac513051029.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well I checked the tire pressure and oil level. Then I saw a spot on the floor. OOO man rear shock giving up. Rode it up to j and p cycle with trailer in tow. On the way back hit a dip in the road, just about gutted me. Yep its done all the way. Was running good on way home. I been doing to much town crawling lately.

Gave in to Tinker she just looking so sad under that tree on the street. Took her to Neosho and back 100 degree heat and I never noticed any engine heat, not like I used to last year it would scald your legs, Only bad thing the heat index today was 115 degrees. :225: So every stop I had to make I started sweating like a piggy..:scorched:

20170720_152320.jpg

I syncd the carbs (they were way off), I also adjusted everything to fit me better (handle bars, foot pegs and controls. I also flipped my shifter over so now I am 1 up and 4 down; Moto GP style. I removed the leg guards as well.

Removed and cleaned the clutch hydraulic system on the 99 stem to stern, didn't use any new parts but removed a "gunk ring" in the slave. Used 2000 grit and smoothed the inside of the slave. Thanks for the "how to" on here. Very minimal wear and corrosion found. Bleeding went fast and easy. Probably 4 hours and half a roll of paper towel start to finish. Will road test today. I may need to do a few hundred miles "to be sure".

Edited by gggGary

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY put the battery in the trike and got it started!!! I fixed the front turn signals so it will pass inspection, and found yet another issue with the connectors for my Stator! The connectors are melted again! I'm thinking that the AC voltage out of the stator is breaking down my aftermarket waterproof Butt connectors, so tomorrow I am replacing them with some other kind of connector and keeping the wires much further apart! AC voltage does a thing called "skin effect"

which means the electricity travels down the edge of the wire rather than down the center like DC does, so I'm thinking the dielectric strength of those connectors leaves a little to be desired...

I FINALLY put the battery in the trike and got it started!!! I fixed the front turn signals so it will pass inspection, and found yet another issue with the connectors for my Stator! The connectors are melted again! I'm thinking that the AC voltage out of the stator is breaking down my aftermarket waterproof Butt connectors, so tomorrow I am replacing them with some other kind of connector and keeping the wires much further apart! AC voltage does a thing called "skin effect"

which means the electricity travels down the edge of the wire rather than down the center like DC does, so I'm thinking the dielectric strength of those connectors leaves a little to be desired...

How good is that battery? My first suspect with over heated stator connectors is a weak battery or other "too heavy" loads making the charging system work too hard.

will throw this in here........

These are PMA alternators, full output full time (as soon as revs come up)

The regulator dumps any unneeded output to the frame.

So; if you have reduced loads (LEDS) and a high output stator. the poor ole regulator is going to take a beating.. We've been running into this on another MC forum guys change to big watt PMA alternators then use LED lighting and few other loads, the regulators are about as reliable as hand grenades.

Purchased a new winter home for it.... I was storing in my basement but think if there had been a fire, the insurance company would have issues paying out since it wasn't a garage.

Will also come in handy if I have the time and $$ to go visit some friends in FL or other places down south this winter.....The FLEET.jpg

Purchased a new winter home for it.... I was storing in my basement but think if there had been a fire, the insurance company would have issues paying out since it wasn't a garage.

Will also come in handy if I have the time and $$ to go visit some friends in FL or other places down south this winter....

Nice Rig!! :thumbsup2:

And I plugged in the battery charger/maintainer. Might try to start it in a couple of days...

Went for a ride this evening came back parked her in the yard.... Went out to get a water bottle from the garage and it was:rain2: so had to send Tinker to her room. Guess what, I am still sore but she is sitting pretty up on her center stand:amen:. Still hurt a little but was able to ride all 3 of bikes today!!! 2:banana:

I installed a set of lower air wings yesterday on bike. I had removed them from my 2000 RSV before I sold it 7 years ago. I was cleaning upand reorganizing my workshop last Friday and found them right where I had hide them from myself.

I installed a set of lower air wings yesterday on bike. I had removed them from my 2000 RSV before I sold it 7 years ago. I was cleaning upand reorganizing my workshop last Friday and found them right where I had hide them from myself.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.... :thumbsup2:

Moved my Venture from the driveway into the back yard so I could get my neighbours truck in to load the remains of the hedge that came down during the snow event we had last winter.

It took me almost a month to sort out and cut the branches that came down.

Well, I only worked at it for about 3 hours per day. :backinmyday:

Hedge_Trimmings1.jpg

It took almost a whole day to pull the brush from the pile then cut and load it into the truck and that was only the half of it.

Hedge_Trimmings2.jpg

Was a beautiful day for riding but since I got to enjoy the sight of my Gen 1 while doing the job, all was not lost.

Another load tomorrow and it will be done then back to riding on my days off.

Couldn't get my old hand grips off when Marcarl gave me a hand to upgrade my clutch. I now know that since I left my bike outside Wed in the hot sun I took it into the garage and slowly tried to brake the weights loose and then used impact gun and they finally came off so now when I get some time I can finally put my KuryAkyn grips on. Also mounted extra usb power outlet to charge my play book and phone.

Yesterday, went for a ride on the 89. Took same ride this morning....only this time on the VStar 950T. The 89 was a little hard to start...just cranked. I remember now I should have cycled the fuel pump a few times to fill the carbs. Yep it's been a while for both scoots.

20170803_074403.jpg

20170804_075347.jpg

Pictures on same road. Elephant Head rd on the way to Mt Hopkins. The VStar is parked at the Picnic area near the Observatory's public entrance.

The summer monsoon rains have left the desert nice and green again. Easier on the eyes, for sure.