IGNORED

Sitting Position

Money Venture

I have spent this weekend taking measurements and pictures trying to figure out why the seating position is so uncomfortable for me. I have found that in the drivers position, my pelvis is tilted forward making it difficult to raise my feet into position on the pegs easily. If I slide up the seat onto the 2nd level everything is fine. I know I am not as agile as I used to be and this is a new bike to me but it has been a struggle. The leg position is uncomfortable as well. Is there anything seat wise that would help tilt the pelvis back to a more level and comfortable spot? This is an 87 2nd Gen. Thanks.

I understand what you mean about the inseam problems! I'm 5'6" but I have a 30 inch inseam. My husband also has a 30 inch inseam....he enjoys when I get on the bike in the driver's seat and attempt to flat foot the bike...it ain't happenin! both feet dangle about 4 inches from the ground. One day...I'll ride a 1st gen and keep all the wheels on the ground and no damage to the bike...

Your foot controls and pegs are adjustable forward and backward! The handlebars are articulated to adjust both the width and height at two points for each handlebar. What is your inseam???

I believe the foot pegs and controls are only adjustable on the 83-85 models, after that I think the pegs were not adjustable.

Brian

Money, the 1st Gen's bars, like already mentioned, are adjustable on a 2 axis basis (an INCREDIBLE design by the way). I adjust my bars inward and down so when I am touring I am leaned back against the passenger (or bed roll if riding single - or back rest if not touring), I have them adjusted so with my feet up on the engine cases my knees can contact the bar ends - I DONT condone anyone doing this but I steer with my knees a lot on the open road while eating dinner and such,, gonna catch heck for admitting that but what the heck .. In this configuration I can also stretch out with my legs hanging from foot pegs attached to the crash bars, almost lay down on the bike, tipped up in the torso just perfectly comfortable and can ride for hours and hours like that in total relaxation.. For stretching I will also ride with my toes on the rear pegs or standing up at times,, being able to "move" around on the bike from position to position tends to keep stiffness at a minimum and has enabled me to ride a lot of miles daily and cover long distances in real comfort.

I have never found it necessary to mod a first gen seat, in all the years of riding these old bikes I have never, or had a passenger rarely, complain about a hurting butt from the stock seats - given though,, I have always ridden the 83/84 models, cant speak for the MK2 1st Gen seats.. I have actually anticipated my first encounter with either a 2nd Gen Venture or RSTD and intended to figure out a way to mount one of my 83/84 seats on one,, probably look like a frankenstein bike but I dont care,, for me - comfort is everything..

On the same token, I have heard many many good things about the "Butler" mod.. I wouldnt hesitate for a second to send a seat to him for design change.. At this point, I have just not found it necessary to do so for my needs.. I did do a fair amount of touring on a 73 650 Yam back in the 70's,, you talk about a sore butt,, To bad this Rick Butler guy wasnt around back than cause he sure could have saved me a LOT of pain!!!

Have fun out there!!

Puc

I don't get pain from this, I just have a harder time moving feet from pedals to ground and back. The base of the seat seems to tilt forward causing more downward pressure against the legs when lifting them. Just looking for an adjustment to help that's all. If the Butler mod would help I'm all for it. Just not sure that is what the problem is. I am trying different handlebar positions.