IGNORED

1st gen audio

mobilet

I been reading all the earlier post are audio and still confused

My cass does not work, radio only on AM and CB dead dont care about CB

I would like to do is pull all out.. amp tuner everything but, all those wires what do i do what them and which wires do i use?

What is everyone making to fill the big hole if you pull everything out that looks nice?

I like listening to FM and i guess i had to be able to down some music mp3 or ipod (haven't done that yet) What a good system to put in? and would i need a amp?

My bike the only thing keeping me from a padded room and some music would really help

This is 1st post hope it get to the right place. Thanks for any help and pictures would be great

Attached picture is a $40 walmart radio that has usb & sd card slot, no cd. I can put about 500 songs on an sd chip, beats the heck out of a cd with 10 songs on it.

It has gotten wet a few times and works. I have a cover I can put on it when I park it at work if it is going to rain. Its been in the bike 2 or 3 years and works fine.

This radio cover is a stock unit that had a factory radio in it. I made a plug out of plexiglass & mounted this one.

All you need from wiring is the 2 speaker pairs and the radio hot and back up lines. Plus the antenna lead.

Gary

That, my friend is the MOST "sunshine happy" radio unit I have ever seen! You have asked a very good question. The answer, I'm afraid is not an easy one. If you are handy with all things electrical, then the removal, install of a new, aftermarket radio unit would be fairly easy. If you are not, I have another option. Because you had the courage to ask for help, here is what I am willing to do. I have a used, stock, AM/FM Cassette unit that works in AM or FM, but the cassette drags a bit. It also has the plastic mount. It is a used unit, but it does function, and looks a LOT better than the unit you currently have. I am willing to donate it to you for the cost of shipping it to you. This will NOT solve your problem if in fact the antenna is disconnected, or broken. If you are handy with wood, or metal Dennis, you can use the old plastic radio mount as a template and cut a piece of wood or metal to replace the plastic mount, then install a "marine quality" AM/FM/CD/Ipod unit in the stock location. Run two leads to the fuse box for power, replace the paper cone speakers with polymer cone, "outdoor rated" speakers, install a "hidden type" antenna in the fairing and you are good to go.

If you are interested in the stock, used unit I have, please feel free to PM me for my Paypal email address for shipping payment. Good Luck with this project! :thumbsup2:

Earl

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
That, my friend is the MOST "sunshine happy" radio unit I have ever seen! You have asked a very good question. The answer, I'm afraid is not an easy one. If you are handy with all things electrical, then the removal, install of a new, aftermarket radio unit would be fairly easy. If you are not, I have another option. Because you had the courage to ask for help, here is what I am willing to do. I have a used, stock, AM/FM Cassette unit that works in AM or FM, but the cassette drags a bit. It also has the plastic mount. It is a used unit, but it does function, and looks a LOT better than the unit you currently have. I am willing to donate it to you for the cost of shipping it to you. This will NOT solve your problem if in fact the antenna is disconnected, or broken. If you are handy with wood, or metal Dennis, you can use the old plastic radio mount as a template and cut a piece of wood or metal to replace the plastic mount, then install a "marine quality" AM/FM/CD/Ipod unit in the stock location. Run two leads to the fuse box for power, replace the paper cone speakers with polymer cone, "outdoor rated" speakers, install a "hidden type" antenna in the fairing and you are good to go.

If you are interested in the stock, used unit I have, please feel free to PM me for my Paypal email address for shipping payment. Good Luck with this project! :thumbsup2:

Earl

I have 3 related questions to this thread.

1. where to get good quality replacement speakers and what size?

2 A good replacement marine grade cb (Mike wants bluetooth capabilities too) that will fit in the precut hole on the bike. If it exists.

3. Marine am/fm radio with bluetooth, (or a cb that does both radio and cb with intercom) I'm just trying to source ideas now before the end of fall.

I use the cb on occassion but if you don't, just leave it turned off. You may decide it's useful in the future.

I removed the cassette and replaced it with a switch and 3.5mm port (mp3). You need to get the appropriate 8-pin din plug and connect lines 1 and 7 to the switch (going by memory here and it's getting old) and then three wires for the right, left and ground speakers (pins 3,4,5 I think).

Then you can hook up any device you want that has a 3.5mm output.

It will override the radio if there is music without flipping the switch but it's a little softer. With the switch flipped (tells the system the cassette is playing) then you take over the audio completely.

Dave

I use the cb on occassion but if you don't, just leave it turned off. You may decide it's useful in the future.

I removed the cassette and replaced it with a switch and 3.5mm port (mp3). You need to get the appropriate 8-pin din plug and connect lines 1 and 7 to the switch (going by memory here and it's getting old) and then three wires for the right, left and ground speakers (pins 3,4,5 I think).

Then you can hook up any device you want that has a 3.5mm output.

It will override the radio if there is music without flipping the switch but it's a little softer. With the switch flipped (tells the system the cassette is playing) then you take over the audio completely.

Dave

Mike has yet to use the cb on the bike since buying it last yr. On trips (when we get to that point) he'd use it, right now the cb doesn't work right.(constantly scans the channels without stopping) The radio works but the speakers need replacing. It would be really nice to have communications again between us, especially on trips. For his benefit I would like a clean look to all the electronics he'd access. The cassette was already removed by the PO. I'm just trying to find an elegant option to upgrade the existing systems for him. (Is that even possible?) lol

There's good, helpful, pertinent info in this thread, even though your cassette drive has already been removed.

Cassette Drive Mods

Dingy's solution isn't bad too. You can get a cover for it by searching Google for "marine radio cover". You can get replacement speakers by searching Google for "4 inch marine speakers", or just buy [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0R6GQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2R3C9EKLQ57PZ]Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB401 4-Inch Pair Coaxial Speakers - Silver: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Cgy6jdaAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Cgy6jdaAL[/ame] .

Good Luck!

Yeah, I guess maybe just the wiring document I attached near the end pertains in your case. If you have the Original CB and it works I had decided that I was ahead of the game to use it since their is circuitry to silence the radio when the CB is receiving, that and it was all wired into the intercom equipment too. Take a look at this unit for BT, it has some controls to make a call and skip tracks, etc. I'm not sure about using it with a phone while riding, that requires a helmet microphone that can interface with the intercom. If you make that all work be sure to document it on the site so the rest of us can benefit.

The SoundLogic has a small pod with a 3.5mm socket and microUSB for charging that disconnects from the speaker so it could be built in easily.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Soundlogic-Bluetooth-Receiver-amp-Speaker/dp/B00FEQAZ7I/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397011550&sr=1-12&keywords=soundlogic+xt]Amazon.com: Soundlogic Bluetooth Receiver & Speaker: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OdLZrhzQL.@@AMEPARAM@@51OdLZrhzQL[/ame]

This unit offers BT, USB and an amp that you would install like a car stereo and it's water proof. It's smaller than Dingy's unit but more expensive and currently unavailable. You can probably find a small CB with BT and AM/FM but I haven't looked for one.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYD0M2Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: JBL PRV170 Gauge Style Stereo Receiver AM/FM/BT/USB - 4 x 45W: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FiOapmzoL.@@AMEPARAM@@51FiOapmzoL[/ame]

Finally this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42384

Has the wiring diagrams from the "Tech Library" section.

Good Luck!

The problem with the current CB is likely to be a stuck button. It might not be mechanically stuck, but only electrically stuck. Cleaning the switches will probably clear it up.

There are three locations that have CB switches: CB itself, rider handle bar control (on left, above clutch reservoir) and passenger control fob. The passenger control can be ruled out by simply unplugging it. I'm sure the rider control can be unplugged too, but not as easy to get to as passenger control.

If you want the CB and intercom I'd leave the stock system and put an MP3 or phone hook up in place of the cassette deck.

To use the intercom you'll need headsets. Personally I prefer headsets to speakers and would put my money there rather than into speakers. There are adapters that will let you use a bluetooth headset but they are pricey.

Just took a good look at the picture. CB was originally on the other side. Hopefully the electrical didn't get butchered too badly when it was moved.

right now the cb doesn't work right.(constantly scans the channels without stopping)

When I picked up my '91, the exact same thing was happening. When I got it home a spritz of WD40 on the channel change buttons immediately fixed it. One of the channel change buttons was stuck down.

The problem with the current CB is likely to be a stuck button. It might not be mechanically stuck, but only electrically stuck. Cleaning the switches will probably clear it up.

There are three locations that have CB switches: CB itself, rider handle bar control (on left, above clutch reservoir) and passenger control fob. The passenger control can be ruled out by simply unplugging it. I'm sure the rider control can be unplugged too, but not as easy to get to as passenger control.

If you want the CB and intercom I'd leave the stock system and put an MP3 or phone hook up in place of the cassette deck.

To use the intercom you'll need headsets. Personally I prefer headsets to speakers and would put my money there rather than into speakers. There are adapters that will let you use a bluetooth headset but they are pricey.

Just took a good look at the picture. CB was originally on the other side. Hopefully the electrical didn't get butchered too badly when it was moved.

Everything needs a good cleaning! When I told Mike yesterday to leave the cb parts and radio parts with me today he glared and gave me the 20 thousand reasons why not, including the whine about but but I'm going to ride tomorrow! Oh well, maybe this weekend. And yes, the PO did move everything around to suit him.

Currently those switches don't work, neither do the horns. the switches ran the radar detector the PO kept as well as some lights and a couple of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting atm. The horns sadly shorted out a while back leaving my husband very confused see:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80696

We have replacement horns (2nd gen) Thank you Walter!) to replace the air horns that shorted.

I have no idea what Mike plans to do with those switches other than maybe some future led effects lighting, but that's down the road a while. Before we start doing roadtrips this yr I want intercom working at least 4-5 hrs of pointing turn here or veer there will get old fast...

i am huge on audio and have done extensive modification to my bikes audio here are a couple of my treads on my upgrades you can ask me anything about them

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82476

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78063

you loose the cb and the stock wiring cannot handle a modern deck as the wires are to thin, i had an issue when i first put the deck in that the radio would come on then when over 50% volume it would fade shut off restart and keep repeating i had to run an independent ground and power to my accessory block and changed the trigger wire to the accessory block as well.

so at the end of the day the only wires you use from the cb harness after you take out the cb box is the speaker wires and only if you don't use your own speaker wires like i did after the speaker upgrade so at the end of the day the factory plug just sits unused in my fearing now

WD40 was designed as a water displacing penetrant but never intended as a long term lubricant, yeah, I know it's handy. Electrical contact cleaner is far superior for switches and contacts as thousands of miniature train modelers will attest (think of all that rusting track).

WD40 was designed as a water displacing penetrant but never intended as a long term lubricant, yeah, I know it's handy. Electrical contact cleaner is far superior for switches and contacts as thousands of miniature train modelers will attest (think of all that rusting track).

I agree, Mike. But it is also a pretty good plastic lubricant and that was the only trouble with my stuck switch, just needed to physically free up the plastic button from the plastic housing. The switch was not electrically faulty. Just mechanically bound.

Can I kill a husband of mine? After all the discussion about the audio cables on the 1st gen here on the forums I FINALLY got him to pull the panel on the bike and let me see what was back there...during our discussion of what was there and what MIGHT be missing he then informs me the audio cable for the driver is under the seat tucked up neatly. We did clean up the connections to the cb and intercom, including the buttons, however the cb still scans without stopping. we both think it has to do with the driver's audio control box...it's definitely not waterproof and has been smashed prior to us getting the bike but I'd like thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I'll see if I can get him to take pics wed after work, if not, then Sat, I'll double check abt pulling fairing pocket and checking the back side of it too. I'll also check the audio control box. Mike's about ready to yank out everything and add his own audio system and music heh...almost ready to agree with him!