IGNORED

check your air filter!

baylensman

Well I have 12K on the bike. Previous owner was a bit of a neebish and had the bike to mother Yamaha twice a year! I assumed that between them all maintenance has been up to date. By the look of the oil tires brakes and some other things they did. My bike has been getting bad milage for about 6 months, I assumed its my driving style and short trips ( I go 3 miles one way to work). The bike has always been very torque, and a blast to drive. After reading here on these pages about mileage, I decided to take the bike to a guy and have the floats checked and the carbs synched. After a few minutes on the phone my guy had basically told me off! He said if I'm gonna get info from the internet (here) take my lap top out to the bike and let it fix it for me.......He was adamant that float levels do not change unless someone changes them or I get contaminated fuel. He also has the factory tool set and a sync meter, and said that was unlikely also on a bike with on 12 k miles. Well all said and done I came back to this site and read some more, took the tablet out to the bike and checked the air cleaners.

air%20filter.jpg?psid=1 Well I ordered and installed a set of K&N filters!:7_6_3[1]:

Edited by baylensman

Unfortunately, I know what mine look like and are in for need of replacement, but I am still getting mid 40s most of time even with those nasty ones in it. Mine had one previous owner as well and yamaha dealer maintenance. Don't think they ever got changed. Cough, cough 12 year old bike with over 49,000 miles. I should just break down and ride to the nearest dealer and get a set, anything is better than what is on mine right now.