IGNORED

Crossed Over !

wolverine77

Haven't ridden it enough yet to determine , need to replace the rear brake pads first . But this is the same tire that Iron Mike runs on his bike. He rides with thge same rider group that I do and he loves the tire. Says it handles great and I have followed behind him and watched his tire. Never loses much of the contact patch even in tight corners. Tire never really transfers to the edge . I'll update my exp[experience when I put a few miles on it . Headed to West Virginia in 2 weeks for a weekend of riding , will know after that .

There is no edge, You can Search Darkside tire on You Tube and come up with several videos shown with the camera focused right on the tire as a ride takes place so you can see what it really does. Skip to the Video to see a CT save my ARSE. HAd that been a bike tire I would have been sliced like cheese in a cheese cutter by the Barbed wire fence.

What it really does is fight to keep all the tread on the ground. Even in the most extreme lean dragging tailpipes (On Stock suspension) and floorboards you are still going to have 3Xs more tread on the ground (Contact Patch) than you did with the bike tire.

We are running the BF Goodrich Radial TA I have about 2000 on mine very very happy camper. I did loose some smoothness over 90 but that is typical, i have not got it dialed in yet. it may smooth out. Its either alignment or Air pressure.

Of course GOBS of traction

Its like doing the V max rear, it drops the gear ration where you can run in OD a LOT!

Smoother ride anywhere below 90.

FYI this tire on the rim weigh within 2 Lbs of a MC tire. (i was amazed)

I will not go back to a MC tire and I really did not think I would like a CT on my Venture even though I have run one on my Roadstar Over 50K miles. Now when I shop for a bike the first thing I do is check to see if it can go Darkside.

Really the biggest reason of going Darkside is if you ride too much and are going through tires. And for me safety reasons, I credit a CT with saving my AZZ 4 times.

Here is one such case on Video. Now to set up this foolishness, I was leading much more capable Concours group through some serious twisties of Ohio 555. We were banging the curves extra hard for file footage. The camera is mounted on my trunk shooting the guy behind me. I rarely cross the center line but to gain some speed I decided to go up the middle of a series of S curves.... AFTER I decided that, I changed my mind (Breaking the rule of stick with what you got) My speed was way up there too high to change my mind so when I did all the normal stuff went on. And I started to wash the curve. The only thing I could do to get it back was slow down. With a MC tire I would have had no hope. In the video you can hear the CT in a series of 4 skids slowing the bike enough for me to get it back just before launch. Yes I sheet my trousers. Watch this a few times and notice the Guy on the Concours following my line (He has MC tire and much more capable bike.) we were going THAT fast. We hit the curves like this all day. It was the greatest day of riding in my 40 years on a bike. The fun meter was in the red all day! 12 hour day of riding southern ohio. The Concours riders were simply amazed at how I took the curves with the Venture Fully loaded I might add with 60 Lbs of gear 20 in each bag/trunk. They had a blast following me even though that bike could pass a Venture any day on any road.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by IronMike

OK, so here's my question(s). I'm intrigued by this darkside stuff. I'm also impressed with what I've read re Ride On. I'm planning an changing my own tires the next go'round, whether I go with 2 MC tires or a CT on the rear. Is the Ride On used to balance the CTs? What tools are needed for changing one's own tires?

You really need to read ALL the information in the Darkside information folder.

You don't just change the back, idealy you do the rear on the front at the same time, for two reasons, one is they will wear out at the same time. the other is its safer.

Its not an easy mount, you have to polish the rim, and use a lube and about 110lbs of air.

I can go on and on repeating the whole darkside information folder. But they have it there to read it. If you don't have the time and expect to mount one and go, you will not have the knowledge to run it and you will not have it right and either read the whole information folder then, or take it off.

If you are not going through more than a set of tires a year (as in 2 back 1 front) its probably not for you.

I had a few trips canceled due to tire wear and availability. DARKSIDE!

Of course GOBS of traction

Its like doing the V max rear, it drops the gear ration where you can run in OD a LOT!

I have a VMAX rear in it now. Do you suggest putting in the stock one back in. Is the CT that much smaller in diameter?