IGNORED

OUR 1st 3rd Gen!! Aint no way,, aint no how you varmints are gonna wanna miss this!!

cowpuc

CONGRATS YZERNIE!!! Everyone else should click here!!: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?133983-YZEARNIE-S-NEW-3RD-GEN-Our-FIRST-genuine-owner-operator-3rd-Gen-Ride-Report!!&p=1025606#post1025606

WOW what a story!!!!! :thumbsup::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Maybe the warmth of this will even encourage the ice in @Flyinfool 's veins to thaw a little so he stops playing with that infamous, confounded White Washer for a while:nanner:

Yup, read it, Pucster!! I found it to be a very positive and informative write-up!

At first, I thought that he was a former Harley rider who found out how superior Yamaha was, but then as I read further I see he had an '05 RSV so I'm saying to myself, hmm, this guy should already know about Ventures and know how more responsive the V4 is over the V Twin! So, that being said, I was very receptive to his comments on its performance! I haven't ridden one yet, so I am reserving my judgment until I do so. Like most of us, I was taken aback with it being an air-cooled belt driven V Twin. I can't argue about there being less loss of power to the rear wheel with belt drive, but I am concerned with the longevity of them versus shaft drive. The guy lives in California, so he will have some type of judgment concerning heat in the summer, as long as it hasn't been THAT long since he rode water-cooled.

So, I am waiting for further comments from our new member, and patiently waiting for other new 3rd Generation Venture members to sign in...

Yup, read it, Pucster!! I found it to be a very positive and informative write-up!

At first, I thought that he was a former Harley rider who found out how superior Yamaha was, but then as I read further I see he had an '05 RSV so I'm saying to myself, hmm, this guy should already know about Ventures and know how more responsive the V4 is over the V Twin! So, that being said, I was very receptive to his comments on its performance! I haven't ridden one yet, so I am reserving my judgment until I do so. Like most of us, I was taken aback with it being an air-cooled belt driven V Twin. I can't argue about there being less loss of power to the rear wheel with belt drive, but I am concerned with the longevity of them versus shaft drive. The guy lives in California, so he will have some type of judgment concerning heat in the summer, as long as it hasn't been THAT long since he rode water-cooled.

So, I am waiting for further comments from our new member, and patiently waiting for other new 3rd Generation Venture members to sign in...

I'll copy and paste this to the other thread cowpuc started and answer it there.

I no doubt agree that it is a well made machine. But the fact that I can rip my old Venture inside out in minutes myself at anytime to diagnose a problem makes me want to never give it up. Other than getting to old and feeble to hold it up someday. There comes a time we all must recognize our limitations and mine are sneaking up on me everyday that and spending enough money on a bike that I could buy a house around here would stop me from buying it. It is a nice bike though. Each to his own.:happy34: :sign16:yzernie.

I no doubt agree that it is a well made machine. But the fact that I can rip my old Venture inside out in minutes myself at anytime to diagnose a problem makes me want to never give it up. Other than getting to old and feeble to hold it up someday. There comes a time we all must recognize our limitations and mine are sneaking up on me everyday that and spending enough money on a bike that I could buy a house around here would stop me from buying it. It is a nice bike though. Each to his own.:happy34: :sign16:yzernie.

Thanks. Not really a new guy here, joined way back in 2006 when I had my RSV. When I sold it I never visited here again. When I recently came back the board it isn't the same as when I left...meaning it has a new server and look to it. My post count didn't get moved over but that's ok. I come here to learn and share info if I can.

Yes, the 18 Star Venture (SV?) is a chunk of change, no doubt about that. When you compare it to what you get from HD for almost the same price, the SV is a much better value. I have ridden Yamaha street bikes since 1973 and owned a lot of first year models both street and dirt. Yamaha historically does more R&D than any other manufacturer and I am confident they have nailed this one just like they have in the past!!

Being retired for a few years I do a lot of touring and it is nice to come back to my roots at Yamaha. The HDs are nice comfy touring bikes but their engines have always been their weak point. My 14 Ultra blew up twice in 68k miles so it had to go. The 16 Ultra I have now has been problem free...so far. The price of the SVs is not for everyone and had I not planned for my retirement properly I'd still be riding my 2005 RSV. That said, for me the SV is the best bang for the buck on a touring motorcycle.

Edited by yzernie

Well, then, welcome back, YZ Ernie! Can't say as I remember your screen name, but back then this site was a LOT more active! Yes, the site has been through a lot of changes, and for the last year or so it has been slowing down. Many of us diehard VR members are hoping that the 3rd Generation Venture will bring back some life to the site!

As I mentioned, I certainly appreciate your straightforward outlook on the G3. I agree it is a very attractive bike with a lot of great technology and creature comforts, the kind of things that makes a great touring bike great! Like many others, though, we were hoping for a detuned VMax engine just like the original Venture had! The 1st Generation Venture was light years ahead of the competition when it was released with the '83 Royale.

The point being, the Venture was, is, and hopefully will always be specifically a TOURING bike, the kind you get on and ride for hours and hours and expect it to be reliable with great longevity! It's not necessarily designed as an off-road machine nor is it a cafe racer or crotch rocket. Surprisingly, the 1st Generation was a very fast and nimble touring bike, whereas the 2nd Generation was a little slower and not as nimble, but was and is one of the most comfortable touring bikes out there! Hopefully, the 3rd Generation will prove to be even more comfortable touring bike and regain some of the handling and speed that was lost with the 2nd Generation. (I own both so I feel I have the right to comment on both Generations)

As far as the cost, well, my '09 "S" model ran me $17,300 new but I was given an exceptional deal on it from our local dealer. Around the same time, a fully loaded automobile ran around $30,000 or less. Last February my fully loaded Impala retailed for over $41,000 by comparison! The point being, we need to think in today's dollars, not 10 years ago. Based on what it has, I really do not think the RETAIL price of the '18 is out of line with our present economy and what the bike includes. Of course, not that many people pay full retail, my Impala cost me around $39,000...

I, for one, look forward to reading your reports in the future!!!