IGNORED

Goldwing Drivers

PGunn

Ok now I just got back from driving from Boston MA to Buffalo NY (around 1,100 miles) to visit the grandkids and family. Now on my trip I saw Harleys, Suzuki’s, Yamahas, and some Hondas. Now all in all it was a great ride no problems with cagers but can someone tell me what is the issue with Goldwing drivers? I mean I saw Harley drivers who were friendly enough and along with the rest but when it comes the Goldwing drivers I have my doubts they have a clue what riding is about.

Now do these bike come with a gold plated sick they shove you know where before they get on or is it inserted automatically when they sit down or is it they are just upset at spending $25,000 on a bike? I pulled into a rest stop on the NYS thruway and there was a group of 6 or so and talk about a “DON”T EVEN THINK ABOUT PARKING NEAR US” look. And as they walked by you would have thought I was the black plague the way they ignored me. Now I may be wrong by classifying these as “all” Goldwing drivers but this is not the first time this has happened to me and I did not say or do anything to even be remotely considered out of line.

The ride was great though no rain until I was on the last 45 minutes of the trip and I did 8 total fill ups and traveled just over 1,100 miles in 4 days. Went through around 25 gallons of gas and saw some nice sites along the trip. I had one nervous point when traveling across NYS I saw 2 deer running along and figured I should move over in case they changed their heading and that was out of the question there was a semi in the way so I slowed down and got past them with no issues but as a side note they did stop running just as I approached them and they did turn facing the highway but I did not stick around to see if they tried to cross.

I'm sure that they all had an attitude due to the splitting pain inside their ears which was caused by that insane CHIRP they heard when you pulled in......

After all, if all Goldwing riders have an attitude, then surely all RSV's have an obnoxious chirp (like mine did).

:Bunny2::witch_brew::witch_brew:

I have seem more of this out of wing riders that Hardley riders as of late. try riding that little 750 and it increases. I learned to laugh at them and keep going. Sometimes laughing right at them. Didn't say I was real smart.. They are not a example of all riders but they do stick out. When you see one broke down I've thought you ought to say "I Don't know anything about those things".

Well, I doubt they were upset about the $25,000. Price a HD UltraClassic sometime. But let's face it, there are occasions when you will run across a group of creeps no matter what kind of bike they ride. I've had riders of all breeds be friendly and I've had riders of all breeds be rude. I don't don't give it any thought. If they make the first gesture at being friendly, either waving and/or smiling, then I return the favor, otherwise I just ignore them and don't let it affect my state of mind. I've actually had a lot more wing riders be friendly than HD riders, but that is just my personal experience. Just blow it off. Sounds like you had a great time.

come on pgunn and yammer, i'll wave at you guys any old time. and even talk to you to boot.if they paid $25,000 for their wing they got screwed. thats about $8,000 more than i paid for my new 2008 wing. i even have a venturerider decal on my windshield it's a big one and i show it proudly. please don't kick me off the site. i'll have to buy a new windshield. bill :depressed:

I don't think the problem is brand related, actually. I've gotten more cold shoulders from the BMW crowd.

Personally I think that attitude, from anyone, comes from their own self doubts. I love my ride. I smile a lot. I wave at everyone. Well, everyone I can. Sometimes it just ain't wise.

What could possibly motivate someone to be upset with someone else over what they ride? Doubt is the only thing I can see. Something along the lines of "I spent all this money and he looks happier than I am."

Clearly this isn't a problem for everyone. Freezy's perfectly cool about it all. Snarly Bill is too. They are satisfied within themselves and act the part (aside from when they get rubbed the wrong way, perhaps.)

So, my suggestion is: Next time someone snubs you, just smile. You ride one of the rarest bikes on the road. A rolling work of art. All the right curves in all the right places, and hands down the sexiest color. Let the real problem be theirs.

I don't think the problem is brand related, actually. I've gotten more cold shoulders from the BMW crowd.

Personally I think that attitude, from anyone, comes from their own self doubts. I love my ride. I smile a lot. I wave at everyone. Well, everyone I can. Sometimes it just ain't wise.

What could possibly motivate someone to be upset with someone else over what they ride? Doubt is the only thing I can see. Something along the lines of "I spent all this money and he looks happier than I am."

Clearly this isn't a problem for everyone. Freezy's perfectly cool about it all. Snarly Bill is too. They are satisfied within themselves and act the part (aside from when they get rubbed the wrong way, perhaps.)

So, my suggestion is: Next time someone snubs you, just smile. You ride one of the rarest bikes on the road. A rolling work of art. All the right curves in all the right places, and hands down the sexiest color. Let the real problem be theirs.

You're a wise man, Bummer! Of course, being a Hoosier that's expected!

:smile5:

I think you fellas hit the nail on the head, sometimes it is the area of the country you are riding in. We notice, as a rule people in Indiana and Kentucky are much more friendly bikers than around town here in Cincinnati.

We have been snubbed by many different make riders and visa versa, found very friendly bikers on all different brands. We have also run into people on Ventures who obviously were not as excited as us, to see another RSV rider. So I suppose it is about timing, and location too. I wish it was different. I would think ideally that everyone who rides a motorcycle of any type, would be part of the brotherhood and sisterhood of riders. But you know there are snobs, and unfriendly people everywhere.

I say lets get together and irritate them with our friendliness.:bighug:

Mama

Bill, I have experienced the same thing down here in the South, but also in other parts of the country. But I have also experienced it with HD riders. I don't think it's the brand of bike I think it's the rider(s), especially if it's a group of Wings, or HDs. Since my wreck last year I was without a bike for over 6 months. Finally bought a new Goldwing and believe me I wave and talk to everyone. I have started frequenting a GL1800 group website and there are some "different" people there. Most have welcomed me with open arms but reading some of their posts it is very evident that some think their s#!$ don't stink.

Come on down here to Msississippi and I'll not only wave at you I'll show you some good old fashioned southern hospitality. By the way, you got to watch out for them nor'eastern folks !!!!!!:rotfl:

Guest kozman01

Heck, I ride a Goldwing now and have always waved to everyone in the past and currently. I'm finding that people aren"t waving back to me NOW. I mean, I way to scooters and even those guys are waving less. I had alot more interaction with people when I rode my earlier Hondas and Suzukis and my Venture. Maybe people think I'm waving from a Honda Civic and think I'm some freak:) Hell, I've waved to bicyclists!

Yes, I've noticed that "wavers" are getting fewer and fewer. My theory is that the more bikes you see on the road, the less likely it will be for bikers to wave. It used to be a much smaller "club" of riders. Many of today's newest riders don't even know what the wave means....

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Many of today's newest riders don't even know what the wave means....

hmmmmmmm.... that brings up an interesting point .... what exactly do the waves mean? Frankly, I've never put specific words to them... other than "hi" or something like that ...

I like those VentureRider Decals. Is there a way I could get one?? It would look nifty on my trailer.

Thanks!

Pete.

i had nine of them made i am going to raffle them off at my eureka springs meet. they cost $3.50 apiece. i may put them on the sight for my cost plus postage. if they go over at eureka springs. the more they make the cheaper they get. like to send you one but i already committed the ones i got. bill :2133:

hmmmmmmm.... that brings up an interesting point .... what exactly do the waves mean? Frankly, I've never put specific words to them... other than "hi" or something like that ...
ive been waving for 45 years. what the wave means to me is hey buddy, we're in this together, have a great ride and a great day, cuz i sure am. i rode to ar. saturday and i must have waved at a couple of hundred bikes. some did'nt wave back but i don't care i figure thats their hangup. i did my part. bill :clap2::clap2::2133:

ive been waving for 45 years. what the wave means to me is hey buddy, we're in this together, have a great ride and a great day, cuz i sure am. i rode to ar. saturday and i must have waved at a couple of hundred bikes. some did'nt wave back but i don't care i figure thats their hangup. i did my part. bill :clap2::clap2::2133:

I would guess that, if words are put to the wave, it could have different variations depending on the person, but all having the same "meaning" so to speak.

I've also noticed a decline in "wavers" ... myself included .... there are so many bikes on the road nowadays it's sometimes hard to wave at all of them. I generally don't wave at the "tough-guy Harley types" (and you can usually spot them) simply because they never wave anyway (probably coz their hands are "frozen" to the grips :rotf: :witch_brew: ).

my recent 4000 mile trip in my cage to Seattle and back had me longing for my bike sitting back at home (I was going to a car convention I put on, so I had no choice!)

Every rest stop where there was a bike, no matter the brand I walked over and talked if it looked like they were at least somewhat open to conversation. All were friendly. I also joined the local GWRRA chapter because they have a lot of rides I like to go on, and they accepted me and my VR just fine.

I wave to about every bike I see, about 80% wave back. usually it is a chopper style or Harley bike that doesn't. I just laugh, they are the ones with that "golden thing" stuck up you-know-where, and I am having fun.

The wave is about 2-wheel comraderie. I haven't settled on a "style" yet, sometimes just pivoting my left hand up on the grip, sometimes I go low, sometimes high, sometimes I jump up and down and sometimes I wave both feet (ok, maybe a couple of those I don't do) :smile5:

Sometimes I forget to wave, and maybe they think I have that "thing" stuck up there.

All I know is when we go out in the wife's 78 VW bug convert, we get more smiles. So a lot of bikers must be really thinking too hard! :bawling:

I wave at everybody on two wheels including bicycles. Also people on horse drawn buggies, tractors, riding lawn mowers, street rods etc. If I see some little kid getting pushed in a buggy I wave at them too and sometimes give the kids a little honk and wave. Good public relations I figure.

Anyway, most wave back, a few don't. Oh well!

I generally don't wave at the "tough-guy Harley types" (and you can usually spot them) simply because they never wave anyway (probably coz their hands are "frozen" to the grips :rotf: :witch_brew: ).

Nah, their hands aren't "frozen" to the grips, there just trying to hold all the lose pieces on.:smile5:

Well said. My thoughts exactly.