IGNORED

Waterproof GPS mount

camos

I just ordered a SnaggleSTUD for my newly acquired Garmin 2598 and now need to get a mount to for it. Has anyone tried one of these "waterproof" GPS mounts? They are relatively inexpensive and come with a handlebar clamp.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GPS-SAT-NAV-Waterproof-Case-Mount-Holder-for-ATVs-Garmin-nuvi-2595LMT-2555LMT-2555LT-Black/1394973048.html

Some I have read have a hard time occasionally to get the GPS to switch screens or program thru the cover. I personally use the RAM Mount and ole zip lock bag if necessary. Crude but effective.

Some I have read have a hard time occasionally to get the GPS to switch screens or program thru the cover. I personally use the RAM Mount and ole zip lock bag if necessary. Crude but effective.

I had one of those, it fell off my Vulcan up in Indiana some where, if my gps had not been wired it would have been road trash instantly.

Like most, I use the sandwich bag method, rode through adownpor today, uncovered and it didn't affect it at all-this time

I have had a couple of the ummmm less expensive type phone mounts shall we say. And like someone else said ya get what you pay for. One of the phone mounts lasted about a month. Mount similar to this one he has pictured. I think the piece right where it goes to the handlebar fixture gave up the ghost. Lucky for me I was pulling up to a pump @ a gas station and was about 5 mph and cord attached, so it just plopped ont eh tank. The other was a much better outcome. I actually just replaced it with a RAM mount one. I have had the knock off one since like 2008. But very similar mount to handle bars as RAM. Behind the fairing and even just the windshields like the TD if mounted in rite place they wont hardly get wet unless its a downpour.

Givi (The luggage people) make one that looks identical but costs $65 up here in the Great White North. I bought one a few years ago and it came with a separate "rain cover". It can be frustrating to use as pressing on one spot causes the whole plastic cover to press down and sometimes activates something else on the screen. It's even worse with gloves on. And where the plastic cover joins the case, there is a bit of a sloped area that tends to reflect light and distort the edges of the screen. Things are even worse if you upgrade to one of Garmin's 5 in. screen units. Bottom line is - I wish I had gone with a Ram mount right off the bat and that is what I will be doing shortly. The case as shown is more trouble than it's worth. And at that price, I'd worry about durability and the ability to stay on the bike!

Andy

I like durable better than cheap.

The way the Garmin suction mount connects to the back of the GPS also looks like a weak point. How does the RAM system attach? I'm only familiar with the ball part of it but not with how the GPS is actually held.

Coming back from The Dalles there were a few bikes at the hotel we were staying at that had mounts that clamped around the ends of the GPS. Looked solid but couldn't identify the manufacturer. Didn't look like the mount was waterproof either.

More research seems to be required.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm sure my GPS will thank you as well.

http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/images/RAM-HOL-GA26U/RAM-HOL-GA262.jpg

GPS sits down in lower lip and then tilt up and it "snaps" in with clip in center.

I bought an X mount they have for my phone. Actually I bought an kit with the arm and handlebar mount for a Tom Tom and the X mount separate. It was cheaper than ordering up the X mount specifically once I found what I wanted on e-bay. lol

Went to RAM and according to the wizard these parts are what I need to mount it.

The cradle holder:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045071065053055085/Default.aspx

The mount:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049055052085/Default.aspx

Pretty sure I saw a simpler ball mount somewhere.

Their site sure doesn't make it easy to find what you want.

Think I'll look on eBay next.

I like durable better than cheap.

The way the Garmin suction mount connects to the back of the GPS also looks like a weak point. How does the RAM system attach? I'm only familiar with the ball part of it but not with how the GPS is actually held.

Coming back from The Dalles there were a few bikes at the hotel we were staying at that had mounts that clamped around the ends of the GPS. Looked solid but couldn't identify the manufacturer. Didn't look like the mount was waterproof either.

More research seems to be required.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm sure my GPS will thank you as well.

I can show you how my ram system connects Clive. It is what I would recommend over the suction cup. I had suction cups on the last GPS but it shook to death. 1st gen will connect to the bike differently but similar to the gps.

Try looking in here: http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount

Not big on suction cup mount. I have seen some with it on a second gen last yer up in NC. I thought it was pretty amazing it stayed on.

When you go looking on e-bay put the model number in the search. like the GA57U and see what comes up. Biggest thing on the handlebar part is how long the arm is and where you want it to be. That one looks to be the typical I think 4" length.

Check here for mount.

Here for GPS part. You may be able to get both from same place and save shipping. Takes a little looking around.

I just ordered a SnaggleSTUD for my newly acquired Garmin 2598 and now need to get a mount to for it. Has anyone tried one of these "waterproof" GPS mounts? They are relatively inexpensive and come with a handlebar clamp.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GPS-SAT-NAV-Waterproof-Case-Mount-Holder-for-ATVs-Garmin-nuvi-2595LMT-2555LMT-2555LT-Black/1394973048.html

I have one and mounting it on the right side of handlebars does not allow enough angle for proper viewing. I heated and bent the piece w/ the ball on the end, but, weakened it enough so that it broke under vibration. It also takes up a lot of real estate when mounted. My Garmin nuvi50 would not respond until I cut out the transparent, heavy Plexiglas shield! I'm lookin' for another answer myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/images/RAM-HOL-GA26U/RAM-HOL-GA262.jpg

GPS sits down in lower lip and then tilt up and it "snaps" in with clip in center.

I bought an X mount they have for my phone. Actually I bought an kit with the arm and handlebar mount for a Tom Tom and the X mount separate. It was cheaper than ordering up the X mount specifically once I found what I wanted on e-bay. lol

Same one I use and the Baggie over it. It has been tested in T storms and passes with flying colors...