IGNORED

Front brake pads

At what mileage are you changing the front brake pads? I have 68,000 on mine and they look good. I have been changing the rears about every 6,000-7,000 miles. I know I use the rears more than a normal driver as I started out riding bikes that had drums and I was always cautioned to not lock up the front. Now I'm riding a bike that has double disks up front and should be used more than the single rear, plus this is one heavy scoot! Not only that most of my riding is on flat ground. Not to many mountains here in south Louisiana. Also does anyone have the plastic cover that goes on the rear caliper? :confused24:

I installed EBC HH Sintered pads on mine 70K miles ago and the front have lots of life left to them. (solid braking, less noise than the OEM pads before). The rear ones were recently swapped left to right as the inside pad always wears down before the right one, this allows more life out of them. But the rear pads will soon need to be replaced after a while. I use a lot of heavy rear brake in slow speed advanced manouvers in demos on the advance courses and every day slow speed manouvering.

68K on the front sounds right but wow, only 7k miles on the rear sets?

• 1 month later...

I just changed mine a couple of days ago.. maintnance records show they have 25K miles on the rear.. I'm heavy on the rear brake for advance rider demos and such. I did flip the pads a while back which help even out the wear..

I did however find that one of the inside pistons was stuck and took a little more effort to push it back (bleed valve open). I guess a rebuild is in order this winter.

Seeing as you have twice the braking area in the front it stands to reason they will last a lot longer than the rear! It's normal to brake a little harder in the rear unless you like nose diving into a stop. From what I've read here it is normal to replace the rears around 10K or less if you use the rears more than the front. 70K is outstanding for the front.

I think those plastic dirt covers are still available. They are the same ones for the 1st gen MK2 as well, same rear caliper and also used on the fronts...

At what mileage are you changing the front brake pads? I have 68,000 on mine and they look good. I have been changing the rears about every 6,000-7,000 miles.

What rear tire do you run that outlasts brake pads with

that kind of heavy braking? I'd think the rubber would wear

far sooner than you'd have to replace pads, unless the caliper

is dragging. :confused24:

I've been on bikes since I was 4, 50cc Indian with training wheels.

As far back as I can remember I was always told the front brake

has 70-80% effective braking and the rear only 20-30%, which is

why there are two calipers and discs on the front and a single on

the rear.

I mainly use the front brake and engine deceleration. First thing I

do is drop a gear and drag the front brake a tish. That's generally

all I need to slow down 90% of the time.

It's a very good thing to get used to how your front brake feels and

reacts. Plus it shifts a lot of normal wear to the front tire instead of

picking on just the rear.

I think that's why most people change rear tires and brake pads every

year but still have the same old crusty pads and dry rotted OEM tire on

the front. :rotf:

:stickpoke: