IGNORED

Waterproof GPS mount

camos

I have the one like you showed. Basically an zipped in pocket. I have a tom tom 550 in it. So far so good with one exception. When it gets hot and humid or direct sunlight on a hot day it over heats the tom tom and I have to pull it out and let it cool off so the display comes back. Baggy over cover on the worst of heavy rains.

Glad bob got ya some studs. His are so much prettier than the ones I made.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are my solutions to mounting my new GPS.

First got the Snagglestuds.

Ordered a combination setup with 1" SS round bar mount, 2x1" ball mounts, 1 short extension clamp and the roller clip in holder. The complete RAM setup from GPScity in Canada. The cost was $39.95 + $3.99 shipping within Canada. Worked out to be cheaper than the individual parts.

Ordered the waterproof zip bag as well for about $13. It hasn't arrived yet but when it does I will most likely get another 1" RAM ball mount to replace the one that comes with it if it looks the least bit fragile. There is also the convenience factor of being able to mount both GPS holders to the same mount base.

Was initially very interested in the X-mount holder but decided to go with the roller cradle type because I intend to make a sunshade/rain shelter from ABS that will be held on by the RAM ball mount to the cradle. Even got 2 sets of longer mount screws with the combination setup first mentioned.

All in all, the many suggestions were a great help in kicking my brain into gear and coming up with an all weather solution to my GPS mounting project.

Many thanks to all who contributed their thoughts and suggestions.

I just ordered a SnaggleSTUD for my newly acquired Garmin 2598 and now need to get a mount to for it. Has anyone tried one of these "waterproof" GPS mounts? They are relatively inexpensive and come with a handlebar clamp.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GPS-SAT-NAV-Waterproof-Case-Mount-Holder-for-ATVs-Garmin-nuvi-2595LMT-2555LMT-2555LT-Black/1394973048.html

I have one of those. Lets just say it is VERY "water REPELLENT"! I'm happy with it. It has been on the RSV for several years with no problems so far. After a bad rain I have to open it up to let the condensation dry out. The little Nuvi, that has lived in there for a couple of years, is very seldom taken out and I have seen no ill effects.

• 2 weeks later...

The waterproof case arrived a few days ago. It looks like it is well made except for the way the mount connects to the case. Looks like a good bump could shake it loose. A screw or two will make the connection solid though.