IGNORED

uhalling bike

rbig1

thinking about going to new Mexico end of February. If I rent a van body truck to get me out of snows range. How far south down from iowa do I need to go to get out of snow belt. Don't want to get stranded in motel waiting on snow melt. Turn in truck and ride bike the rest of the way over. If I thought it would be nice a few days might just start out riding. This is a pipe dream but really want to do this.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the weather reports and have at it! Worse you could do is to have to rent a U-haul to bring it back home. Old man winter can sneak up on you in the mountains if your not careful but common sence should see you through. Always ask the locals if your not sure of the road ahead. You can pipe dream the world away so have at it and smokem.:snow2::thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

well I went a different way bought a box truck a p30 Chevy. Have to put some interior into it. Will be basic needs tv, dorm fridge, couch or bed, carpet remnant, and power for living, take a space heater and a fan. Hauling bike with me. Have to figure a way to get it in and out. Going to new Mexico. Then riding to sun city Arizona then who knows. Hope I don't have to use a bucket. lol Maybe hook up with some of ya and ride around. Never been in that area so will do a lot of lost driving. And a little Webber grill. Will take quite a while to get there at 50 mph. Hate to admit to it but nervous.:fingers-crossed-emo

well I went a different way bought a box truck a p30 Chevy. Have to put some interior into it. Will be basic needs tv, dorm fridge, couch or bed, carpet remnant, and power for living, take a space heater and a fan. Hauling bike with me. Have to figure a way to get it in and out. Going to new Mexico. Then riding to sun city Arizona then who knows. Hope I don't have to use a bucket. lol Maybe hook up with some of ya and ride around. Never been in that area so will do a lot of lost driving. And a little Webber grill. Will take quite a while to get there at 50 mph. Hate to admit to it but nervous.:fingers-crossed-emo

Sounds like a BLAST Rodney!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Something tells me if ya "put in" somewhere down near Roswell ya should be good to go. I know that east/west line from Flag to Santa Fe can get it pretty bad with winter weather but south of that line, out of the way of the Rocky Mountain snow drifts, is good ol fashion dry heat desert riding and AWESOME stuff!! Personally, I would put in in south NM and stay south.. Maybe ride over and harass that VideoArizona feller on my way to "The Slabs" (google that one brother - pretty cool place in California to hang out while waiting for the snow to melt)..

Regardless,, hope ya stay safe and have a BLAST out there!! :scratchchin:,,,, gonna be looking for some winter fun motorcycling :photographing:'s = ye be warned!!:cop:

That is just begging for a big VR logo on the side.
and STICKERS,,, lots and lots of room on that sweetheart for gobs of stickers!!!

Lookin GREAT there brother!! Rig like that with your scoot in the back, a cooler full of Hot Dogs, small grill and a hammock slung beside it = a GREAT way to escape the winter blahs!! Thanks for the pic!!!

well got the junk out of the back. lic and insured. getting tires re[placed on back. have to figure a ramp and hold downs. That busted head light was a night mare, screws were stuck tight. Three more lights to fix. 20161221_163518 (576x1024).jpg getting the itch:big-grin-emoticon:

Some big fender washers, RTV sealant and eye hooks placed in right spot you can mount a hammock inside, fold it up when not in use. Harbor freight has some loading ramps that if you get some like 6ft 2x10 and bolt them up may be long enough to load it up. Or scrounge around you may find a loading ramp off a u-haul around.

• 3 weeks later...

well you know how there is always something wrong with a used vehicle. Well I found it finely. When you back up and give it gas you take off pretty dang fast. Kind of like o shi#. Broken motor mount. Have my 30 amp service in carpet down, bought a ramp with arch, on the outer ramps have to rase them a 2x12 thickness so old short legs can touch. here is a few pics20170102_115740 (Medium) (1024x576).jpg20170103_132732 (576x1024).jpg

thinking about going to new Mexico end of February. If I rent a van body truck to get me out of snows range. How far south down from iowa do I need to go to get out of snow belt. Don't want to get stranded in motel waiting on snow melt. Turn in truck and ride bike the rest of the way over. If I thought it would be nice a few days might just start out riding. This is a pipe dream but really want to do this.

I'm in new mexico, it all depends on roughts amd time of day and magic for clear roads. But lower you go better it is.

Been looking at the weather down there. Wanting to get around Apache Junction. Then ride bike to Sun City and all over. Night temps need to be above 55 for me. Don't have heat except space heater. What kind of wisdom can you shed on me for time of year?

:snow2::cold::bowdown:

Had a broken motor mount on my '58 Chevy! Stomp on the gas in drive and it would stay floored for a while until the torque let off! Scary to say the least...

I had a 59 Chevy Impala 2drhdtp, 283 cu in 230hp, 3 speed manual with overdrive. I stopped and let the clutch out quickly with the gas floored and broke the left side motor support. The engine fan started clanging against the metal fan shroud and scared the crap out of me. I thought I had broke the transmission. Those were the days before motor supports had safety catches to prevent the engine from lifiting.

Hi Rodney,

Thought I would jump in here as you are maybe a month away from departure.

New Mexico has some beautiful roads to ride in, so does Arizona, but both are desert states which require some careful planning in the winter. February NM temps hover around freezing at night, as does AZ. Deserts do get cold at night, even in spring! Even during the day, the deserts of NM can be down right chilly to ride. March is better, but no cigar. Not trying to rain on your parade, just being honest. Its the elevation of the NM deserts that gives the more extreme temps. Similar to the Indian Lands in nothern AZ.

That said, come on down as south as you can before riding.

You might wanrt to drive van to Phoenix area before you park it. Ride to Sun City, AJ and around AZ first...then load up...drive to NM and unload and ride that state near the end of your trip when NM will be a tad warmer. In fact, if you can wait until March to start your drive down...you can then ride both states in their entirety , except for some mountain areas, and have great weather!

Call me when you get closer and I can help you with itinerary. I don't have a place for you to store truck while you ride, otherwise I would offer that. My HOA is finicky about that stuff!

Text me before you call so I can be ready to answer questions.

OH..buy a propane Buddy heater...the midddle size. About $90. Works great on low to knock the chill off and the small bottles can be found in WaMart cheap. I use one on my sailboat for winter sails and it does a good job. Only need it at night and morning for a few minutes. Any sporting goods store should have them. And bring a small spray bottle with soapy water to test for leaks on stove and or heater.

Later,

david

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters,%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20>%20Propane%20Heaters&utm_campaign=Mr.%20Heater&utm_content=173690&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMe-FXUIqRPsP1DQiUM1v5WPmt-RJpG92wF7t-40Lf2xoCwILw_wcB

If link doesn't work...Northern Tool ...Mr. Buddy heaters...about $70 there.

and STICKERS,,, lots and lots of room on that sweetheart for gobs of stickers!!!

Lookin GREAT there brother!! Rig like that with your scoot in the back, a cooler full of Hot Dogs, small grill and a hammock slung beside it = a GREAT way to escape the winter blahs!! Thanks for the pic!!!

And flames......... maybe flames filled with stickers......and

Dual 12' whip antennas with coon tails tied on the top.........and of course 52" rims with spinners........and Baha lights across the top.....and a big luggage rack on top........ and ah. Curb feelers on all four corners.......... and. Mud flaps with naked lady chrome cutouts..... and wrench on the front and Gerry cans on the rear bumper. ..... and chrome.........lots of chrome:Avatars_Gee_George::thumbsup2::clap2:

If it was me the uglier the truck the better with all the mechanics of it up to par. I once had a old Mazda it was ugly. I was told that if I left it with the keys in it sitting in the middle of Harlem nobody would ever steal it.:rotf: It was so rusty a semi going the other way litterally blew the driver side fender off.:rotfl: But it ran like a swiss watch. The urge to spruce up also can bring unwanted attention. But, each to his own. Live the dream and have fun.:happy34:

• 3 weeks later...

How did you winch it in with one person? Or did someone help you and you have to rely on someone to help you get it out? Just curious.