Eventually plan on buying block off plates for anti-dive. My question is this: Does just unplugging the anti-dive have the same effect or is there a side effect to doing this?

Thanks

Edit: Already have Progressives up front.

Edited by Rosie1965
see above

I disconnected the anti-dives at the connector in the fairing behind the headlight a couple of months ago and have not noticed any difference in handling. That could mean one of the previous owners had installed progressive springs but the person I purchased the bike from made no mention of such a feature. The reason I decided to disconnect them was to reduce the drain on the battery in stop and go traffic. Now when stopped with the brakes engaged the charging system sits at over 13v instead of 12v or less. Seems to be a good thing to do. Some day I may remove the anti-dive contraption on the forks.

The reason I decided to disconnect them was to reduce the drain on the battery in stop and go traffic. Now when stopped with the brakes engaged the charging system sits at over 13v instead of 12v or less. Seems to be a good thing to do.

That is my reasoning. I hooked the amprobe up yesterday and found the anti-dive units are each draining 2 amps. Not a huge amount, but 4 amps @ idle on a system like this makes a difference.

But the block off plates reduce the unsprung weight on the front end and look a lot nicer.

I completely agree and have every intention to go that route, just wanted to try it unplugged.

I have seen the MKII VR Electric Anti-Dives go for a few bucks on Ebay in the past, this extra money would offset the money spent on the Block Off Plates.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3776&title=first-genmkii-vr-s-santi-dive-block-off-plates-21&cat=22

I haven't seen people flocking to buy the MKI VR Anti-Dives ANYWHERE, but what a pleasure it is to bleed your brakes on your MKI VR WITHOUT that line from the Anti-Dives connected to both front calipers!

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3777&title=first-genmki-vr-anti-dive-s-sblock-off-plates-21&cat=22

Plus, fresh fork oil in the front ends of these 800 pound motorcycles will breathe new life into the handling of your bike. If you are interested in the Block Off Plates, and don't have the Progressive Fork Springs, Here ya' go.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3768&title=first-gen1983-1993-progressive-fork-springs-21&cat=22

Earl

Plus, fresh fork oil in the front ends of these 800 pound motorcycles will breathe new life into the handling of your bike. l

When installing the block off plates is a fork oil change necessary? PO just changed to progressives last year while changing seals and oil.

Yes, at least adding to what is going ot drain out. Once you remove the anti-dive's there are 2 holes that will let the oil flow free..free like the wind... ( don't ask how I know...):whistling:

But you do not have to worry about anything in your garage rusting for a while.......:stickpoke::rotfl:

But the block off plates reduce the unsprung weight on the front end and look a lot nicer.

Gary

Looks are subjective so I'll cut you some slack, but reducing unsprung weight? And each device weighs how many OUNCES?

If you're gonna make a recomendation at least keep it real.....