IGNORED

New River George Bridge Day Ride

CaptainJoe

WV Bridge Day,

This event will be October 16th thru the 19th 2014.

That way we can get two full days of riding in... (Friday, Saturday)

First ride will be to North Bend SP via back roads:

http://mapq.st/9-PZo6oOh6

Bridge Day is October 18th:

http://officialbridgeday.com/

Based on who shows up and their preferences we can tailor our rides to suit. May want to do the bridge Friday instead of Saturday as it will be CROWDED? Checking on this as I've been informed they close the bottom of bridge off the day before the event... Update: Cindy informed me under the bridge would is accessible on Friday... Yeah!

Second day(Saturday bridge day) Route:

http://mapq.st/8-uZYuR6W2

From Hico, WV we will travel south on 19 to the motorcycle only parking beside Canyon Rim visitor center.

Route home will be adjusted based on how much time we spend at the Gorge.

There are a number of motels in Ripley WV.

I have a small campground (20sites)/mobile home Park.

Sorry no Cabins...

Will offer a 20% discount for camping for our group which will make it $20 per night.

No reservations necessary...

Ruby Lake Park

4 Ruby Lake Rd.

Sandyville, WV 25275

***Phone no. is in my profile***

Hope to see you,

Joe

Edited by CaptainJoe

looking forward to another get together with some fine people....

:thumbsup2:

Dave,

This is going to be a good one.

I've got some Harley bikers that stayed at the park earlier this year that are going to ride along.

Don't bring any wood, I've got that covered. EEEERRR.... at least I think I do... ya never know the way some people go thru it... :whistling: Right Jeff?

While at the New river bridge you must take everyone down this historical road that goes UNDER the steel bridge.

The road is State Rd 82

Once your on the north side of the new river bridge, going FROM the visitors center parking lot, turn right and head north on HWY 19, and go to the very next road to your right. Turn onto this road and you will go just a little ways and then you will come upon a "Y" in the road. Stay to your left and go slow, bikes should be spaced apart for safety reasons. This is a one way road all so be careful. There are some challenges of pot holes but going slow (2nd gear) you can easily maneuver around them. As your on your way down the mountain, there is a pull off (on the left) so pictures can be take of the underside of the Steel bridge above. Across from the pull off is a place to walk up some wooden steps and photograph the rocks and cave. Just keep following this road and you will eventually cross over the river on an old steel bridge where you can stop and take more photos of the huge steel bridge above you. A sharp curve to the right (after the small steel bridge) and you are on your way UP the mountain which you will come out on the south side of the New River Bridge.

Enjoy!!!!!

Write up of the road I am speaking of:

The road through the Gorge is State Route 82, and other than going down Rt. 16 to Rt. 60, it was one of the only ways to get across the 900-foot deep canyon. The mostly one-way route that now exists makes for very easy driving.

It is hard for some to picture this route as a two-lane road that once had a lot of traffic. Passenger vehicles, coal and log trucks, and all kinds of tractor trailers once had to navigate this narrow mountain passage. One reason the trip took so long is that driving very quickly was treacherous. Around any curve you might have met a large vehicle that was taking up a lot of the road.

When you have time, take a drive through the Gorge on Rt. 82. Think about how that was once one of the only ways to cross the New River

http://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/fayette-station-road.htm

While at the New river bridge you must take everyone down this historical road that goes UNDER the steel bridge.

The road is State Rd 82

Once your on the north side of the new river bridge, going FROM the visitors center parking lot, turn right and head north on HWY 19, and go to the very next road to your right. Turn onto this road and you will go just a little ways and then you will come upon a "Y" in the road. Stay to your left and go slow, bikes should be spaced apart for safety reasons. This is a one way road all so be careful. There are some challenges of pot holes but going slow (2nd gear) you can easily maneuver around them. As your on your way down the mountain, there is a pull off (on the left) so pictures can be take of the underside of the Steel bridge above. Across from the pull off is a place to walk up some wooden steps and photograph the rocks and cave. Just keep following this road and you will eventually cross over the river on an old steel bridge where you can stop and take more photos of the huge steel bridge above you. A sharp curve to the right (after the small steel bridge) and you are on your way UP the mountain which you will come out on the south side of the New River Bridge.

Enjoy!!!!!

Write up of the road I am speaking of:

The road through the Gorge is State Route 82, and other than going down Rt. 16 to Rt. 60, it was one of the only ways to get across the 900-foot deep canyon. The mostly one-way route that now exists makes for very easy driving.

It is hard for some to picture this route as a two-lane road that once had a lot of traffic. Passenger vehicles, coal and log trucks, and all kinds of tractor trailers once had to navigate this narrow mountain passage. One reason the trip took so long is that driving very quickly was treacherous. Around any curve you might have met a large vehicle that was taking up a lot of the road.

When you have time, take a drive through the Gorge on Rt. 82. Think about how that was once one of the only ways to cross the New River

http://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/fayette-station-road.htm

Thanks for the write up ECK... been there many times, even did a write up on this forum on what to do and where to go while there. Like a lot of things, it got buried in the data...LOL

They will have the bridge shut down all day Saturday (shuttle buses only) no way to ride bikes under bridge.

Just got off the phone with Cindy and she assured me the under the bridge route would be open for a bike tour all day Friday. So, like I mentioned in the initial post, for those attending, a decision will need to be made on what day we travel to the bridge.

The leaves will be at peak so this will be an exta special treat! Bring your cameras and go Pro's.

Waaaaah Hooo!

Edited by CaptainJoe

Dern it. Sounds like a great weekend, but I've plans that weekend. Gonna take my 92 year old dad (and his girlfriend) for a weekend trip to Wilksbarre to see the house where he was born, and where his Mother (my Grammie) was laid to rest.

I'd sure like to join you folks, but can't do it.

Hope ya have a great time. :depressed:

Dern it. Sounds like a great weekend, but I've plans that weekend. Gonna take my 92 year old dad (and his girlfriend) for a weekend trip to Wilksbarre to see the house where he was born, and where his Mother (my Grammie) was laid to rest.

I'd sure like to join you folks, but can't do it.

Hope ya have a great time. :depressed:

John & Lisa, don't give it another thought.

If my dad was still amongst us, I wouldn't hesitate to take him any time, any place he wanted to go...

"(and his girlfriend) ".... At 92?...

OK, you've got my attention... LOL

Any time your in the area, look me up...

Edited by CaptainJoe