IGNORED

Fender Woe

I drive truck for a living and when I arrived back at the yard

after my shift, I noticed my handlebars were not in the same

position I left them in. I always park it the same way and I

noticed it immediately...I got no warm and fuzzy from this.

My boss called me into his office when I was done with work...

Proceeded to inform me that he gave me a $2/hr raise...

I had to sign some paperwork, then before the meeting was done,

he said he had one more issue for me, but it was outside...

As I was following him out to the parking lot, I realized his pickup

was parked by my bike and knew immediately this was not good...

Long story short, when he got to work, he backed into the space

where I had already parked my bike. Bummed....:depressed:

Edited by Bodaggit23
Struggling with pics

Here are the issues that come up in my mind for this:

1. Is the Boss the owner of the company? If not, he has no right to abuse his employers resources to grant a raise to an employee for a mistake that he did. That would be cause for dismissal for the Boss and potentially also for the employee who gets the raise under those circumstances as that is fraud.

2. Understand the difficult position that Bodaggit is in as he does not want to lose his employment, but even with the 2$ raise there is the potential that more damage was done to the bike than the fender.

Some may take offense to what I am saying, but raises are granted for good performance not as an effort to cover up a mistake from the boss. I appreciate that the boss owned up to it, but the remedy used is the wrong approach. ''You get a raise, wow I must be doing good, no its because I damaged your property....:bang head:.

:canada:

The fender is easily removed. Almost any good body shop could fix it and paint it. If not your local motorcycle store can recommend someone. Get an estimate and ask your boss if he is going to cover it. If not the $80 a week raise should offset the pain pretty quickly.

Mike

Thank you all for your replies!

$2 to cover fender?? Saw one on E-Bay not long ago.

The raise was not to cover for the damage, it was coincidence.

I think you're right, I don't think that would fit my 1997.

So I hope he is covering the damage? :confused24: Looks like the bike was dragged backwards from the skid mark left by the kickstand. May be more than a fender damaged. Are there cameras in the yard that would have caught it?

Yes, he gave me his insurance info so all will be ok eventually.

I agree, I did not get a warm and fuzzy from the 3 foot long skid mark

from the kick stand. I looked and the stand seems fine.

No cameras in the lot but I don't doubt his story. He's upstanding and

one of the nicest people I work with.

I parked in a dark spot in the lot but you still need to LOOK before you

back into a parking space for crying out loud...I thank the Lord the bike didn't fall over...!!

At least he came clean about the hit. And a $2 hr. Raise will pay way more over time than just throwing a few hundred at you now.

Very true, I could not agree more.

Here are the issues that come up in my mind for this:

1. Is the Boss the owner of the company? If not, he has no right to abuse his employers resources to grant a raise to an employee for a mistake that he did. That would be cause for dismissal for the Boss and potentially also for the employee who gets the raise under those circumstances as that is fraud.

2. Understand the difficult position that Bodaggit is in as he does not want to lose his employment, but even with the 2$ raise there is the potential that more damage was done to the bike than the fender.

Some may take offense to what I am saying, but raises are granted for good performance not as an effort to cover up a mistake from the boss. I appreciate that the boss owned up to it, but the remedy used is the wrong approach. ''You get a raise, wow I must be doing good, no its because I damaged your property....:bang head:.

He is not the owner but is the Regional Manager of a Tri-State shipping company.

My raise would have came no matter the accident, I had just gotten a performance

review two weeks prior. I don't believe he gave me a raise to compensate for the bike.

The fender is easily removed. Almost any good body shop could fix it and paint it. If not your local motorcycle store can recommend someone. Get an estimate and ask your boss if he is going to cover it. If not the $80 a week raise should offset the pain pretty quickly.

Mike

I went to 6 body shops yesterday and ONE said they would/could do it. I was shocked...

Anyway the guy said he could straighten the fender and repaint it for around $600. I can

get the "Mascot" for about $30 and the "Front Flap 2" for about $100. My boss had no

problem with any of those numbers.

The only bummer thing is to be without the bike while it's getting fixed.

I guess the Suzuki GS1000L will have to do for now. :cool10:

Bodaggit

Looks like your boss is treating you right. :thumbsup:

Also to clarify, in no way did i mean to question the value of your work through my comments. Glad it will work itself out in the end and congratulations on the raise.:clap2:

Bodaggit

Looks like your boss is treating you right. :thumbsup:

Also to clarify, in no way did i mean to question the value of your work through my comments. Glad it will work itself out in the end and congratulations on the raise.:clap2:

No worries, I agree with you, I would have never known who damaged it had he

not fessed up. I do have full coverage but I also have a $500 deductible. lol

If it had to get hit, I'm thankful it was him.

What's the cost of a new fender, if available, compared to the repaired one?

Larry

Or for that matter a used one and just have it painted. The body shop was going to repaint the whole thing anyhow but with a used one there is no hammering out the dent and filling and sanding required.

Just another option to look into.

I would check out the side stand and its mounts and pivot bolt real close. You are lucky it was a crappy surface that did not offer the stand much traction, or it might have broke and dropped the bike.

Before you make a final decision see if you can find a paintless dent repair facility in your area. I dropped a big piece of angle iron on the front fender of my 08 RSTD, I took it to one of the facilities in Lehi Ut and they had it done the next day without even removing the fender from the bike. I don't know how they did it but it worked great and I could not find the dented area afterwards. $120.00

What's the cost of a new fender, if available, compared to the repaired one?

Larry

My local Yamaha dealer quoted me $827.49, already painted to code.

Problem is, Yamaha doesn't have one, discontinued, as are all the rest

online that I've seen.

Or for that matter a used one and just have it painted. The body shop was going to repaint the whole thing anyhow but with a used one there is no hammering out the dent and filling and sanding required.

Just another option to look into.

I would check out the side stand and its mounts and pivot bolt real close. You are lucky it was a crappy surface that did not offer the stand much traction, or it might have broke and dropped the bike.

I'd much rather get a used one and have it repainted, problem is, I haven't ever seen one.

Also neither my boss nor I care to waste the rest of the summer waiting for a used one to become available. We both want this done and over with. :whistling:

I looked at the side stand very closely and I see no stress cracks or bends anywhere.

I was a welder for 10 years so I know what I'm looking for too! :cool10:

If it drug it backwards on the side stand I would count yourself as lucky. It probably could have very easily tipped it over and ran over it. Then it would be a mess for sure.

I feel VERY forutnate that it didn't go down...very thankful it's just the fender and some chrome.

Before you make a final decision see if you can find a paintless dent repair facility in your area. I dropped a big piece of angle iron on the front fender of my 08 RSTD, I took it to one of the facilities in Lehi Ut and they had it done the next day without even removing the fender from the bike. I don't know how they did it but it worked great and I could not find the dented area afterwards. $120.00

I'd not thought of that, we have a couple in town, I'll check them out thanks!

Thanks to you all for your input and replies!! :bighug:

So the body shop said it's a wash either way.

My fender is free but mangled and would take more

body work but less paint.

A used fender cost hundreds of dollars to start and

needs no body work but more paint, and since it's

two tone...well, you get the idea.

So I decided to start with a dent free canvas.

I probably paid too much but I don't want to wait

and since I'm not paying for it, I don't have to. :cool10:

It's off a Tour Classic that didn't come with chrome but

that poking holes will be easy enough. It shipped today!

I also got the "FLAP 2" for the front, shipped today as well.

The "MASCOT" will be ordered soon.

Glad it worked out for you.

Better than I expected. I made a list of parts to get, included

the prices and asked my boss for the money.

He ran quick to the ATM and gave me cash so I could order the

fender and chrome immediately.

I'm dropping the parts off at the body shop as soon as I get

everything and when it's done, my boss said he'll just stop by

the body shop and square up and I can ride away.

Seriously, if someone had to hit it, I don't think I could have

chosen a better person to do it. lol

• 3 weeks later...

hope things go well with your fix, just wanted to let you know I have the matching rear fender, new in the box still. had another friend that bent up the front fender too. always seems to be the front end. there's a lot of red and white 96s around, got a guy at work that has the dark blue and white "96, I have the same color bike, I bought wrecked several years ago.