IGNORED

Bearings for H/F Tag-Along

wes0778

Ok, Getting ready to put a bunch of miles on the Tag-Along in the next few weeks, so time to get rid of the crappy Chinese bearings. They have probably 6000-7000 miles on them.

I took the wheels off and removed the old bearings, only to find they look almost perfect. As mentioned in a post a good while back, the seals were still leaking, probably due to the lack of polishing of the sealing surface, on the axle, during manufacturing. This seems to not be a problem as both wheels were still completely full of grease. The Honda Moly was a lot more "liquid" than when I put it in there, but was evidently doing its' job, very well. Oh well, I have new Timken bearings, along with new seals, on order from Motion Industries, here in Jackson, MS. All should be here in the morning.

Fore those interested;

The bearing part # is 30205M (It is a cup and cone set) $18.15/Set

The seal part # is 30 X 52 X 10 A-NBR $ 2.18/Each

Gonna pick them up in the morning and go two blocks down and get a couple of pounds of dry ice. :cool10::cool10::cool10:

Oh and go by and pick up a new tube of Honda Moly from BigBoyinMS

Edited by wes0778
added mileage

Good info.

I'm going to take this info with me just in case I should ever need a set of bearings on the road.

Hmmmm....

I wonder if it is realistic to polish up the seal surface on the axle to help keep the seals from wearing out to fast.

I will be deciding for sure after my trip to Oberlin, but I am thinking of just making up a new axle with new hubs to use standard SAE size bearings that are available anywhere. At the same time I may add electric brakes to the trailer.

There is a place in IL that I found with really good prices on the parts needed. R&P Carriage.

Good excuse for another road trip.

They can be but not all shops have the right adapter to put them on a machine. The station that I go to can only do it because I made them an adapter to put the little tires on their balancer. The old bubble type balancer should still work.

Don't want to hijack this thread...but can you get the smaller tires like on these trailers balanced?

Mine almost bounces if I hit 70 mph.

I put 3oz of Ride-On in mine and it "seems" to have smoothed the little wheels out.

I would worry about the brakes on the trailer, I have read that most commercial manufacturers of motorcycle trailers recommend against them.

Motorcycle trailers do not need brakes unless the weight exceeds 1500 pounds gross. If you install brakes on your motorcycle trailer, be sure the brakes do not brake harder than the motorcycle or the motorcycle may flip backwards over the trailer when the brakes are applied. The brakes must always be properly adjusted.

I know you should do your braking before the turn, however I would be worried that in a turn you were forced to hit your brakes and the trailer would pull you out of your axis and basically redirect you into some hard object. I know without them the opposite is true, I mean push your rear. We respond every day to our rear tire pushing our bikes and have learned to react to that ( not that it wouldn't be holy shhhhh) . The pull would be something different that we do not normally react to.

I would worry about the brakes on the trailer, I have read that most commercial manufacturers of motorcycle trailers recommend against them.

Motorcycle trailers do not need brakes unless the weight exceeds 1500 pounds gross. If you install brakes on your motorcycle trailer, be sure the brakes do not brake harder than the motorcycle or the motorcycle may flip backwards over the trailer when the brakes are applied. The brakes must always be properly adjusted.

I know you should do your braking before the turn, however I would be worried that in a turn you were forced to hit your brakes and the trailer would pull you out of your axis and basically redirect you into some hard object. I know without them the opposite is true, I mean push your rear. We respond every day to our rear tire pushing our bikes and have learned to react to that ( not that it wouldn't be holy shhhhh) . The pull would be something different that we do not normally react to.

Yes everything would have to be properly adjusted that holds true for all of the trailers that I pull with my truck also. The pros and cons of trailer brakes has been discussed many times with the only conclusion being that some people love them and some hate them. That is why the companies that make the heavier trailers have brakes as an option.

I have never heard of trailer braking causing the tow vehicle to do a back flip. The physics of the situation say that that is absolutely not possible.

But back to the regularly scheduled thread..... I do not wish to debate the pros and cons of brakes again in this thread.

But back to the regularly scheduled thread..... .

Yeah...what's the idea of hijacking this thread to talk about trailer brakes!

:hijacked:

Especially after I hijacked the thread to talk about balancing trailer tires!!!!!:whistling:

so.......what were we talking about?

I beat the crap out of a couple of the bearing when I built my trailer so I took them to a bearing warehouse to replace them, they were metric of coarse not anything standard,

but the counter person looked at them and said they were a higher quality the standard wheel bearings. FYI