IGNORED

oil pressure gauge troubles

Just finished installing my oil pressure gauge. worked fine and then I noticed the reading dropped to almost nothing.

First installed was around 40 to 50, I was riding back home and at full speed on the interstate it was reading 20.

Any ideas what could have cause this to happen.

It looks like everything is tight and i have noticed a leak.

Thanks

John,

Did the pressure drop when the bike was at running temp and while you were sitting at an idle/stopped? Every Venture I have known that has an oil gauge does this. I remember several years back one of the members talking to me about only having 5 lbs of pressure when at a stop light when the bike was warmed up.

Freaks you out when it 1st happens, but this is normal on the majority of the Ventures. Another thing too is if your gauge is not a super high dollar quality unit, 5 lbs will barely make the needle move....:2cents:

Many people who thought they wanted an oil pressure gauge on the Ventures discovered the disconcertingly low oil pressure readings and removed the gauge to relieve their anxiety. The Venture engine in all it's manifestations, as well as the VMax engine are notorious for revealing a shockingly low oil pressure reading when warmed up.

Just finished installing my oil pressure gauge. worked fine and then I noticed the reading dropped to almost nothing.

First installed was around 40 to 50, I was riding back home and at full speed on the interstate it was reading 20.

Any ideas what could have cause this to happen.

It looks like everything is tight and i have noticed a leak.

Thanks

The low oil pressure reading is normal. That is why Yamaha installs a oil level gauge and not a pressure gauge. All my Venture were the same, so was my Virago. They all lived to be very high mileage bikes.

BikerJohn; If I remember correctly, take the idle pressure, say 5psi and add 10psi per 1k of rpm, so at 2000rpm say 25psi at running temp. Just remember these are volumn pumps that produce enough to protect at reduced pressure. Check your leak and look for air in line. Did you install a automotive type gauge? with plastic line or a motorcycle specific? A 100psi wont be as accurate at low pressures as a 80psi. I would like to hear from those that have digital gauges. Good luck

Those low readings are perfectly normal. My mechanic laughed when I installed the oil pressure gauge on my Venture. He predicted that it would drive me nuts, and he was right. He went on to explain that the Venture had a high volume/low pressure pump that would make most anal individuals (I'm sure he wasn't talking about me LOL) VERY ANXIOUS when monitoring it. The water temperature gauge isn't must better. We have very hot summers here, and alot of my riding is in desert conditions. I frequently saw the water temperature reach 230-240 degrees. He again explained that the Venture's thermosat doesn't even open until around 207 degrees, and the fan doesn't come on until 215 degrees, so the readings again are quite normal. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss! Cheers, Ron:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like your all right!!

i fired the bike up today and cold start the gauge reads 30 to 40 so when it warms up it drops.

Good to know.

Also I did notice the water temp i figured if it hasn't got to 250 and no lights on I am all right..