IGNORED

True article on WEB

djh3

Found this today on the web, from the Examiner

Motorcycle riders, the real kind

Jack Martin

A particular online dictionary defines a parasite as “an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.” We have parasites among us in the motorcycling community. There are benefits to owning and riding a motorcycle; not the least of which are the images of being liberated, fearless, cool, or even tough. We have parasites, posers as we call them, who feed off those images. They don’t really love motorcycles and they don’t really love riding. They like being associated to the aforementioned benefits. But they’ll grow weary of the downside of our “love” and soon abandon it, leaving us to clean up their messes.

What kind of messes? Last week, aboard Mr. T, I got on Eastbound 50 at El Dorado Hills Boulevard for the commute home. Going up the ramp, I looked back in the mirrors and saw a crotch rocket tailgating the car right behind me. We merged onto the freeway and I was already at the legal limit. Traffic was heavy, with vehicles moving at varying speeds in the four lanes. As I checked the mirrors for clearance to change lanes, the young mutt on the crotch rocket either lost his patience or was just showing off, but he lunged two lanes over and let her rip. He demonstrated that he was merely a throttle twister and not a rider as he botched a gear shift and bumped the engine up against the rev limiter. Unfazed, he kept the throttle open and rocketed away up the Bass Lake Grade, bobbing and weaving through the heavy flow of cars, trucks, motor homes and commercial vehicles. All that effort and danger, only to exit right at the top of the hill at Bass Lake Road. Why is he a parasite? Because every driver who saw him that day will forever associate any crotch rocket rider with his actions. He’s benefitting from the element of “cool” or “speed” that some people associate with crotch rockets, but statistically speaking, he’ll never put it on a track to see what it can really do, he’ll stop riding motorcycles all together within 3-5 years, but he will leave us saddled with his negative actions pretty much forever. In the meantime, he'll never do anything to cast motorcycle riders in a positive light.

And parasites aren’t all young. Witness the men my age, with grown children, growing bellies and retreating hairlines. He hasn’t been on a bike in at least two decades, but he’ll go out and buy a 100+ cubic inch cruiser and then pay a shop to install the loudest pipes they can possibly bolt on. He goes bar hopping on a Saturday afternoon and comes home that night feeling like a “biker” because he rode a whole one-hundred miles in a single day! All the while, he took great joy in riding near parked cars and setting off their alarms, thanks to the rumble of the “look at me” exhaust pipes. This guy will never join a real club, will never take a multi-day trip with 500 miles-per-day in the saddle, and wil never do anything cast motorcycle riders in a positive light, but he’ll benefit from the “cool” factor associated with bikers. That is, for about 3-5 years until he, too, decides to go back to driving his Durango or Camry because it has such excellent protection from the elements.

I am annoyed. I despise the people who exhibit the worst behavior on two wheels, for a very brief time, and then walk away. Their actions forever cast a pall upon the rest of us in the eyes of the non-riding public. If you’re one of those parasites (and you know if you are), just do the entire lifestyle a huge favor and sell that steed. Save yourself the money, the inconvenience and the danger of riding a motorcycle, and spare us the damage to our images and reputations. It’s a win-win. True, you’ll no longer be associated with the image of being liberated, fearless, cool or tough, but at least you won’t hurt yourself.

Until next time, think about if you really love that two-wheeler or not.

Jack

http://www.examiner.com/article/two-wheeled-parasites

Would be nice if some attitudes would change but that won't happen with an article.

I've seen bikers (normally sport bikes) ride on the shoulder or lane split - both of which are illegal in Ontario. Or riders doing wheelies on the 401 at 130km/hr in traffic. You just can't change those kinds of riders.

Would be nice if some attitudes would change but that won't happen with an article.

I've seen bikers (normally sport bikes) ride on the shoulder or lane split - both of which are illegal in Ontario. Or riders doing wheelies on the 401 at 130km/hr in traffic. You just can't change those kinds of riders.

Cant change them but sadly natural selection eventually will:confused24:

:canada:

After reading your thread it brought to mind a young man I worked with, he was young enough to be my grandson, good kid, but had a heavy hand and foot in or on whatever he was riding. When he was on his rocket, a CBR1000, he was always riding the rear wheel, not matter where he was, interstate, local roads, 2 and multi-lane and would even change lanes while riding a wheelie. So one day after a friend of my daughter was killed in a m/c accident when his right of way was violated I pulled him aside and asked him if I could tell him a story, normally he was a smart mouth and had a good comeback, but this time he decided to listen and never opened his mouth. I asked him if he ever felt he was ever putting himself in danger as well as others around him when he was riding like he does, he thought about it for a minute and said that he had never given it much thought. Then I asked him what would happen if he were to fall while riding wheelies down the interstate. He said he never gave it any thought, but he replied it wouldn't be good. I told him I didn't want to hear about him dying in a m/c accident after I retired and that if I didn't have a talk to him about his riding style it would bother me if something happened. Other people had talked to him about his riding style but he always laughed them off and kept doing what he was doing. He said he would think about what I said and thanked me for pulling him aside and caring about him. The next day he came to me and told me he was selling the bike and again thank me for being honest with him.

I wish that leaves a bad picture of the crotch rockets riders only (not that I wish that but you know what I mean...). Unfortunately, a non-rider person will associate that behavior with EVERY rider, no matter what kind of bike you ride. Drivers in traffic, especially those that don't have a family members of close friends riding a bike, who witnessed that kind of reckless riding will assume bike riders will do that, no matter the bike. It's unfortunate but it's a fact....

The more humanitarian work we can do as a group (riders clubs etc), the more Toy Boxes, the more Poker Runs for a good cause - the better. Also, it helps if a local tv station say a word or two about it and help people understand we are neighbors like any other, we just like to ride motorcycles....

And please don't give up riding!... Just be smart about it. It's one of the best feeling in the world, at least for those of us that enjoy riding. And you don't have to make it boring either. Educate yourself, practice, learn the technique, master the craft.... You can still have a lot of fun and be smart in the same time...

Hmmmm,,, I struggle with this letter in many ways.. How do I put this into words... An example of just one of my personal thoughts......

I dont think any "group" has the right to establish "the cool factor" as something they own (or are the host of) ,,, for some reason the thought of this just doesnt set well with my feelings about an old saying I love and covet - We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

This overweight, balding biker guy who's kids are all grown up - that this person calls a parasite - may very well have been providing for his family all those years.. Maybe he worked his tail off putting braces on his kids teeth and food on the table and couldnt afford a bike.. Now he has saved his cash,, is only physically able to ride his high dollar 100 inch bike a few miles a week, and finds HAPPINESS for the time being in doing so.. Who cares if he sells the bike in 3 years and buys a Durango,,, its his money - he earned it,, spending it that way may be his way of pursuing happiness.. :confused24:

I know,, I am weird,, but I am me...:detective:

Edited by cowpuc

Hmmmm,,, I struggle with this letter in many ways.. How do I put this into words... An example of just one of my personal thoughts......

I dont think any "group" has the right to establish "the cool factor" as something they own (or are the host of) ,,, for some reason the thought of this just doesnt set well with my feelings about an old saying I love and covet - We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

This overweight, balding biker guy who's kids are all grown up - that this person calls a parasite - may very well have been providing for his family all those years.. Maybe he worked his tail off putting braces on his kids teeth and food on the table and couldnt afford a bike.. Now he has saved his cash,, is only physically able to ride his high dollar 100 inch bike a few miles a week, and finds HAPPINESS for the time being in doing so.. Who cares if he sells the bike in 3 years and buys a Durango,,, its his money - he earned it,, spending it that way may be his way of pursuing happiness.. :confused24:

I know,, I am weird,, but I am me...:detective:

The way I read it he was speaking of drinking and riding and acting juvenile while on the bike thus tarnishing our reputation.

The way I read it he was speaking of drinking and riding and acting juvenile while on the bike thus tarnishing our reputation.

Exactly Motiv,, you are touching on a nerve that I am trying to verbalize.... Gonna go out a little farther on the limb here,,,, the idea that this geezer and his midlife crisis can tarnish OUR "reputation" kinda smacks of what I think is called Collectivism (think thats the word I am looking for) or something... Little chimes inside of me go off when I read articles like this,, call it old fashion or weird or whatever but I still believe in "personal responsibility" - as applied to my actions, my attitudes, what I consume in food and drink, what I think is cool, how I ride, where I ride, what bike I ride and on and on... In the end,, I - me - cowpuc, am responsible for all of those (and more) and, also in the end, my reputation is the result of what I have done with those personal responsibilities...

Maybe I am all wet but,,, it seems like oppression, the loss of personal freedoms and the loss of personal identity seem to be the usual result of the final end to what I am talking about with this "Group" reputation thingy.. Ironically, motorcycling,, to me, has ALWAYS represented the epitome of personal freedom and personal identity and within biking there is room for everyone to be cool in their own way...

What you say is spot on Puc, but if someone fires up their loud bike or car or lawn mower 4:30 every morning in the cul-de-sac they will have to deal with the neighbors but if enough disrespectful riders affect cages the cager will form a bad opinion of all riders thus the cager may not give respectful riders the leeway that they deserve due to the cagers negative experiences.

That is the way I read it anyway.

Puc you are a very wise man. I'm glad I've had the chance to meet you

Dont know about the very wise part (thanks for the compliment though) but do know one thing for sure,,, the pleasure of meeting up with and getting to know you at Raggies Meet n Greet truly goes both ways Habster!! Cant wait for the next time around!! :cool10:

You still weird Puc but well said. :whistling::rotfl: And those that live bike aren't too concerned with others opinion anyway.

That do seem to be the case Yammer, that do seem to be the case!! And,, that heartfelt compliment was really appreciated,, especially coming from the lop eared varmint with that famous quote in my signature... :backinmyday: