IGNORED

pegscraper I need your help

pegscraper, I have a 99 royal star 1300a got questions on mikuni 28mm carbs and really poor gas milage. I saw your comments and you seem to know,so... help! air box mod pipes stage one kit. don't know what jets are in it what jets would you suggest. any other advice you can give me would be most appreciated. anyone else got any ideas or better yet proven ideas? Thanks Chris

pegscraper, I have a 99 royal star 1300a got questions on mikuni 28mm carbs and really poor gas milage. I saw your comments and you seem to know,so... help! air box mod pipes stage one kit. don't know what jets are in it what jets would you suggest. any other advice you can give me would be most appreciated. anyone else got any ideas or better yet proven ideas? Thanks Chris

Did they make a '99 with 28mm carb's? I thought they were all 32mm by then.

What model is it? Venture or tour?

Edited by ACE50

As mentioned, you are referring to a carb size that was superceded by the 32mm. This is complicated by the fact that later models also used differing jet sizes for front and backside carbs in later models.

A WAG is that you are running 117.5 Mains and 22.5 Pilots with (possibly) adjustable needles. That is the typical DynaJet or Baron's Stage 1 kit setup.

If you are not mechanically inclined I would enlist a brother VentureRider to help pull, clean, and verify your jets and needles, and clear the idle adjustment hole of its protective brass insert. At that time, I would highly recommend you replace the rubber diaphragms X4 since they get pinholes and become unusable over time.

Hucklekatt, i am fully aware of the fact that 32mm carbs were used in the newer models but really what does that have to do with my problems with the 28 mm carbs that are on my bike? to restate I have a 1999 royal star standard or xvz1300a or royal star boulevard ( no it's not a suzuki) with 4 28mm mikuni carbs and am getting really poor mpgs. It is firing on all 4 cylinders. I have a modified air box, jardine slash cut 4into 4 exhaust and a barons jet kit installed. you are absolutely correct I am not mechanicly(can't spell either) inclined which is why someone else installed the jet kit. My question is this; with the mods that have been done what jets should be in the carbs? and what if anything would you do to improve mpgs? thanks, Chris