IGNORED

Finally got them made!

Finally got some handlebars made as the stock ones twist your wrist inward too much.

Did the ‘close your eyes and put your hands where they are comfortable’ and tried to match that position.

Little surprised my first attempt seemed to work pretty well. Made a wood prototype first though. It’s hard to design the right lengths, angles and twist just right, along with not too much height so all the controls and cables still work. They are pretty much maxed out even with some re-routing.

Luckily we have a 6 axis tube laser so cutting the final pieces was the easiest part.

Seeing as chrome is very expensive I’ll think I’ll just powder coat black. That should match my Midnight.

Looks like you could easily make the bars with a built in SnaggleStud on each side for mounting GPS or camera. It's a First Gen thing if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Ya, never hard of a 'SnaggleStud' but I did put a tapped hole on the end to mount something if I want to.

Depending on the size of it, a tapped hole could work well. There is a 1" RAM ball mount that is meant to attach to a camera which would make a tidy accessory adapter.

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Ram-Mount-1-Inch-Threaded-Cameras/dp/B0059X0YIQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1409502284&sr=8-7&keywords=RAM+mount+stud]Ram Mount 1-Inch Ball with 1/4-Inch 20 Male Threaded Post for Cameras: Amazon.ca: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31mGF2e%2B2AL.@@AMEPARAM@@31mGF2e%2B2AL[/ame]

Depending on the size of it, a tapped hole could work well. There is a 1" RAM ball mount that is meant to attach to a camera which would make a tidy accessory adapter.

Ram Mount 1-Inch Ball with 1/4-Inch 20 Male Threaded Post for Cameras: Amazon.ca: Electronics

I'll have to keep that in mind as I did tap for a 1/4-20!

Think I'll use these grips from Show Chrome.

Edited by ACE50

I found a custom handlebar manufacturer here in nc willing to see if any of their current bagger bars will fit. He said if they don't he is always looking new brands n bikes to make bars for and will take measurements and make some. I am riding a venture so it has to have the bend to clear the fairing. Maybe I can make it by his new shop this weekend. I will keep everyone posted

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely rides different, I feel more 'badass' now. Guess I'm gonna have to get a gnarly tattoo.

At least I destroyed some of that UN-safe chrome!:rotf:

before, after and side shot

Very nice! Did you do the powder coating? Tell us a little about your process. :confused24:

I have a suggestion for the next time . . . The risers could follow the angle of the forks.

This is an old-school thing, but, visually very pleasing from the side view.

:detective:

Very nice! Did you do the powder coating? Tell us a little about your process. :confused24:

I have a suggestion for the next time . . . The risers could follow the angle of the forks.

This is an old-school thing, but, visually very pleasing from the side view.

:detective:

Bars are powder coated, rest are plasti-dip sprayed as all you have to do is peel it off if you don't want it anymore.

Tubes are cut on a CNC laser so they just fit-up like a puzzle and then welded.

I go for function first, then looks. I could have put some bent tubes in the design but that would have complicated it even further.

I had to lengthen the wires on the front brake switch by 2.5" and rotate the front brake line 180° because of the bend they have at the banjo bolt. A little re-routing and the rest fit-up OK. Even saved the grips from the other bars which I like.

Now I'm thinking about adding an adjustable secondary wind deflector on the handlebars to change it up more.

I enjoy modding things as much as riding, so even though it's raining now I have something to play with!:cool10: