IGNORED

Ok Men...

Here we go!

First of all, I bought new pipes for my 2006 RSTD... RUSH exhaust, made right here in Indiana.

Nowww.....

I want to get them put on, but I can't find anything on how to remove my old ones... these are just slip ons...

I want to learn, but have no idea where to start, and my boy is saying when he comes over this weekend, that he may have to remove the whole thing and cut the pipes and everything else! (He's scaring me...LOL!)

I'm certainly not adverse to getting down on the garage floor and seeing what I can get into...

How do the old ones come off?

You're gonna have to get on the ground! Follow pipe from front till you see the clamping behind rear floorboards. Loosen that. Under saddlebags you will find another bolt that mounts pipe to saddle bag frame take that off. Pipe should slip off. Might take some twist and wiggled or a spray of wd40 .

This is assuming the rstd is the same as the rsv .

Think he is right Rick but still no big deal just 4 screws to remove bag. Watch how spacers go. Good chance to clean backside of them. If you are not used to wrenching plan a Sat morning so you can get to know things. Call about anyone with a number here if you run into problems.

Guest tx2sturgis
Here we go!

First of all, I bought new pipes for my 2006 RSTD... RUSH exhaust, made right here in Indiana.

Nowww.....

I want to get them put on, but I can't find anything on how to remove my old ones... these are just slip ons...

I want to learn, but have no idea where to start, and my boy is saying when he comes over this weekend, that he may have to remove the whole thing and cut the pipes and everything else! (He's scaring me...LOL!)

I'm certainly not adverse to getting down on the garage floor and seeing what I can get into...

How do the old ones come off?

I'm very glad to see you didnt 'cheap-out' with used take-offs from an incompatible engine configuration. (v-twins)

Those Rush slipons should do you proud! :happy34:

There is no cutting needed to install the new mufflers.

If I recall, I had to remove the saddlebags, (4 small bolts for each) then remove the bolts under the saddlebags, and the clamps under the pipes where the stock mufflers meet the headers, on each side. You might need a small bar, a large screwdriver, or something similar, and a hammer to get things separated.

When you put things back together, use some hi-temp anti-seize (from any auto-parts store) on the joint to help with installation and also to help remove the mufflers later if they ever need to come off.

Tighten everything and go for a ride. With new mufflers and the anti-seize, you may smell something like burning paint or wax or oil for a few miles as things settle in. No worries.

After a week of riding, its a good idea to recheck all the bolts to make sure everything is still tight.

Enjoy!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Sometimes those cheep out v twin mufflers aren't so bad...:cool10:

Bill

Hey first I've seen of you on here since the rally....

Yep..true....but with a matched new set intended for the target bike from the get-go...I'm pretty sure she will have good luck...the brackets should all line up...the left/right balance will be the same, and the sound should be good.

:happy34:

Yes bags have to come off. 4 bolts 2 towards the top front and rear and 2 in the bottom front and rearward center. I take all of them out except the front and save it for last so the bag does not get away from me and end up getting scratched. The rubber mount bushings will sometimes work their way out so make sure they are installed back in.

On the mufflers a 10mm bolts up front and a hanger bolt under the bags. Take the hanger bolt out, loosen the front quite a bit.. Then I took the tail end of the muffler and gave it some side to side motion and once got some of that going then a little "round about" effort while pulling back.