IGNORED

Where to start passing lamps out

I drive a 1998 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Yesterday I realized that my passing lamps are not working. The headlight works in both modes but when I turn on the brights my passing lamps should come on. There is a toggle switch that I can have on or off but they do not come on in either position. Both lamps have gone off so I am assuming it is electrical. Can anyone give me an idea as to where to start on my troubleshooting. Possibly in the wires coming out of the head light assembly since that is working or maybe at the toggle? Thanks

I will take a shot. the factory type lights they simply put gillotin (scotch locks) on to make the connection to the headlight. Normally on low beam, so unless someone else wired it up the passing lights will work only on low beam. So you will have to follow the wires back to where it sources in, probably inside the headlight housing. Then check a ground while you in there. For simplicity sake make sure the bulbs are good. I would hate to see you jump thru all kinds of hoops only to have a bulb be bad. Toggle switch could be bad depending on quality, I have had a couple of the cheap type go bad inside. Really the lights need to be run thru a relay.

Thanks that's where I'll start inside the housing. I'm thinking its wire because the headlamp works on hi and low and both passing lamps went out at the same time. Mine only come on if toggled when on hi beam. My 96 was similar. thanks again

The first place I would check is the switch. Make sure you have power to the switch. If yes make sure the switch works. Then trace it up to the lights. Don't forget to check the ground. If no then check back to the fuse and source.

Mike

Most of the shop or dealer installed lights I have seen are all wired to only be able to be on with low beam. Why I have no idea. Mostly because they just tap power off the low beam headlight with a scotch lock (grrr) When you rewire it yourself and put a relay in draw power from a keyed on source they will run anytime you have your control switch on.