IGNORED

I think I have a sticking float?

Last summer I ran out of time on this project, but I am going to ride it this summer. '87 VR, I redid the carbs last summer, synced them and that was where it sat all winter. I put Stabil in the tank, but before I started it this week I put all new gas in the tank.

Yesterday it was running, not great but running. Today it ran like crap so started checking, and apparently the #4 plug was fouled, so replaced it. Now on the right side I am getting pops and backfires like crazy, and throttle is not real responsive, sometimes it seems to run away a little bit. This is all just sitting on the center stand not riding it.

So, my conclusion is that the #4 float may be sticking. Am I on the right track, and if I am, I assume that the only option is to take the carbs off and open #4 up. Not a big deal, I can have the carbs off in about 20 minutes now, I've done it so often.

Any input?

Thanks

D

I just played with it a little more. I started it and then touched the exhaust pipes after it was running just a short time. The right cylinders are cold and the left seem to be hot. Front right, #4 I think was cold so wanted to see if the plug was fouled, it wasn't, and it was wet so it is getting fuel. The back one seemed ok when I took it out.

Last summer I redid the carbs, new diaphrams and all. Then Syched with a homemade synch tool, really made a difference then, they were way out of adjustment. Sitting over winter could that have all changed? I am thinking to synch again?

Any input?

D

Slightly tap the Crab with the Grip of a Screwdriver, may be the Floater Valve start to work like it should.

Synchronizing the Carbs might be an Option, but i don't believe it may help in that Situation.

Seafoam could help to clean out the Jets which might be clogged again, while the Bike sitted for Winter.

I took the carbs off and just did a quick and dirty. Shot carb cleaner through everything that I could get to without taking them apart. I did take them apart far enough to open the float on number 4, seems to work.

I think it is working better, but I now notice when I look in the throat while idleing, the number 2 carb there is gas coming in from one of the holes in the top. I'll try to explain... when you look at the top of the carb there are 2 'orifices'. One has a removable 'orifice' with a flat head screw, not that one, but the other one has gasoline kinda gurgling out of it at idle. I assume that is giving me a rich mix. The exhaust on that side is smoky too.

Think SeaFoam might clear it, or what is that hole?

I am running new gas with a whole can of SeaFoam not

Thanks

D

This Picture has Vmax Carb, but they are virtually the same.

Can you mark the Hole you're describing ??

Btw, the Screw with the Slot is Pilot Air Jet #1 ..

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/carb/walsh/carbsup2.jpg

Many times the 1st tank of the winter will run like crap until you run a tank of fuel through it. I always put seafoam or Stabil in while in storage and then when I take it out for the 1st real ride of the year and run it hard!

Seems like if you run it like you hate it after winter storage and put another can of seafoam and fresh gas it clears right up and purrs nice. I second the statement of changing the plugs as they do foul easily, tapping the bowls is also good advise.

I believe this is STILL telling you there is a float sticking open and fuel is over flowing...

These are fresh air inlets... The larger opening goes straight to the float bowl where the main fuel jets are located.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/carbsup.jpg

Cliff,

yes, that is the first thing I do in diagnosis, spark then fuel. Did have a #4 fouled, but I replaced it.

I played with the #4 carb today and I think it is doing better, now I thing that #2 is the culprit

D

Instead of monkeying with the carbs any more, I think I will do what you said Squidley, take 'er out and show her who's boss.

I am putting the body back on, all I have to do is the front now, the fairings and miscellaneous, so I may be able to run up the road with it tomorrow.

D

I took the Carb Set off and took the float bowl apart, Float seems fine. I have had a float sticking and usually fuel comes out the overflow, it isn't coming out the overflow, just gurgling out of the Main Air Jet.

I took the plug out and it was totally wet, turned the engine over and blew gas out the plug hole, not good with a live spark, good thing I had the hose handy if you know what I mean.

I am not even sure where to go on this.

Any ideas

D

Hello All,

I figured it out. I found a diagram of the inner working of these carbs and studied them.

Then I went out to see what I could see. I pulled the breather hoses out and the one for the trouble carb had melted shut, so the bowl could never fill up, but it would push fuel out the breather hole.

I took it up the rode, man does that thing scream when all 4 are firing.

So simple, but I hope my frustration may help someone else in the future.

And thanks for all your input and help.

D

Guest jbell

i have a 86 venture royale 1300.yesturday i took it around the block,and came back and mine started doing the same thing.it was the one by my right leg closest to back .we ripped all 4 carb out cleaned them out reinstalled them,and took it out this morning.well we let in run for awhile and did not leak.took it around the block again and it started leaking again.it is just the one carb.if this sounds like what yours is doing and someone responds to your post would you please let me know what was said.i am getting very frustrated with this thing.my e-mail address is su4cojo@yahoo.com thank you jody

Guest jbell

mine is doing the same thing but i know it is coming out the overflow tube.because when we park it we look under the bike to see where it is coming from and trace it up to i am guessing it is the #4 carb.by right leg back carb.if you figur it out please let me know because the dealer wants big money to fix.i am just getting frustrated with this.2 nice days in a row and i am sitting in the house not riding.