IGNORED

2015 Indian Roadmaster

Gary N.

I went over to Detroit today thinking I was heading to an Indian demo ride. WRONG! It was a Victory demo ride. All I saw on the e-mail I got was "Indian" but when I looked at it again when I got home, sure enough, it was for Victory. Oh well, at least we got to look the new model over good in person and sit on it too. I like it a lot. Not sure I'm ready to go back to V twin air cooled again though. The L E D head and driving lights were super bright. I really liked the way the lower cooling vents worked and the adjustable deflectors on top of the lowers that folded up for cold/wet weather and down for hot. The electric adjustable windshield, heated grips and seats were also nice features. No CB or intercom. Wired for mp3 and blue tooth, what ever those are. Nice storage compartments in the lowers too. It sure is easy to stand up off the kick stand compared to the RSV for a guy with a new left knee. Mary didn't think the trunk looked as big as ours. It does have a quick release as do the saddle bags. So it would be easy to change up the style if you wanted too. If you like heel and toe shifting, you have to buy the heel shifter as an option. The floor boards are big and roomy and the passenger boards are adjustable up and down maybe 3" total. I also liked how the drivers info was displayed in the middle of the instrument panel. It even showed tire pressure. Not sure how easy it would be to read in the bright sunshine. I still want to drive one and hear from others that have.

I demo'ed the Indian at Dick Scott in Plymouth awhile ago. Very nice bike, but once I get it accessorized the way I want it, it would be over 32k. Honestly, if I buy a new bike, I am looking at ebay for new old stock. Last week there was a new 2013 Kawasaki Voyager leftover with zero miles on it for 13k. This route is a no brainer for me.

Gary,

My wife and I rode it this past weekend at Bikes Blues and BBQ. Below is the report that I posted on another thread:

Me and the honey got back late last night from spending a couple days at Bikes Blues and BBQ. Man, it was a packed house this year! The weather was perfect and it looked and felt like it was a record turn out. Thousands of bikes everywhere we went. We stayed 50 miles away and the hotels were crawling with bikes. Saw some crazy cool sites, as well as a ton of folks that shouldn't have been wearing what they were wearing. LOL. Beautiful/interesting rides everywhere. Immediately when we got to the rally I ran into a guy with a really clean 2009 red/black Venture with 29000 miles that he said was for sale. He said he'd take $6500.00. why in the universe I didn't write him a check right then and there I do not know. They say there is 400K bikers at this event. Usually I would adjust that figure to 100K, but this year it felt like there were a ton of folks there. It was crazy! We did see a double handful of Ventures during our time there, and a few RSTD's. Probably some folks on this site as well.

Test Rides:

The corporate trucks were there giving folks the opportunity to test ride their bikes. So, my wife and I did partake. We rode the Victory Vision, Victory Cross Country Tour, Harley Ultra Glide Limited water cooled, and the Indian Chieftain Roadmaster, the new 2015 model that is a full dresser. I had test ridden the Victorys and Harley before, but haven't ridden them two up with my wife. That changed things quite a bit.

We rode the two Victory's first and while we were both more impressed with the overall ride and smoothness of the Vision, we like the CCT more because of all the storage room it offers. Teresas comfort on back was similar on both. I noticed a marked difference between the fixed fairing on the Vision compared to the CCT. It's kinda funny hearing some of her observations that just instinctively pop out of her mouth. She said the Victory's and Harley's motors sounded like chitty chitty bang bang compared to the V4 of our RSTD. LOL.

We rode the the Harley next and right off the bat, the thing that most impressed us was how high tech the new redesigned bike is. The touchscreen infotainment center is awesome! The stereo is better than the others, and she reported the back seat was cushier than the Victorys. Everything was looking up for the Harley until we fired it up and it started the crazy shaking that its famous for at idle. She immediately asked me what was wrong with it, and made the statement that there is no way on earth she would want to own it. I was less dramatic than her, but, this time the vibrating at idle, even when I pulled the clutch while we were coming to a stop sign or light seemed to get on my nerves. The Victory's were so much smoother than the Harley that that is what we seemed to talk about the whole time we test rode it. I liked the power. It seemed more than the Victory's but not much if at all. I love the way Harley goes to market with all they have to offer, but both she and I kept shaking our head with amazement as we walked away from riding it. We both kinda wondered why anybody would want a bike that shakes like that. LOL. But, obviously a boat load of folks believe that shaking and rattling means something. Just not for us. Also, I am 6'6" and the bike felt so small from my seat to the dash that I felt like I was riding something too little for me. Victory will need to step up their game on the technology side of things to keep up with Harley's new stuff they put on their touring bikes.

Finally, after a long wait, we got to ride the Indian Roadmaster. WOW!! We both loved this bike! I kinda wonder if it would feel like a Victory with Indian badging. I was wrong. This bike was the smoothest and most powerful of the 4 we rode. No crazy shaking, just the right size, and really unique looking. The motor has a ton of torque! Even in 6th gear the thing was strong when I twisted the throttle. Hands down if we were going to buy a bike yesterday, it would've been the Roadmaster. I know, I know, the old discussion of dealer network and such that always comes up, but I'm talking strictly about the performance of the bikes. The only thing that made us go hmmm about the Indian is, for the kind of money they want for it, it should have the big touchscreen dash on it that the Harley has.

In closing, I wanna say this; I again had a very hard time liking the overall feel of the V Twins compared to my V4. I came away from the test rides without out a shadow of doubt in my mind that the power plant in my RSTD is superior to the two Victory's and the Harley's motors. The indian was on another level with the power and smoothness of it's engine. The personality of the V4's by being more revy than the thumpity thump of the V Twins is just better to me. I don't know, it's just me I guess.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

The Victory's were so much smoother than the Harley that that is what we seemed to talk about the whole time we test rode it. I liked the power. It seemed more than the Victory's but not much if at all.

The Harley will always make one feel that way because they are much more torquey at the lower rpm ... but that's it. The Vic will fool you as it really comes alive once you've gotten to appx 2400 rpm. With a $150 adjustable timing wheel, that will drop to 1900 or so.

I came away from the test rides without out a shadow of doubt in my mind that the power plant in my RSTD is superior to the two Victory's and the Harley's motors. The indian was on another level with the power and smoothness of it's engine. The personality of the V4's by being more revy than the thumpity thump of the V Twins is just better to me. I don't know, it's just me I guess.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Being a Victory owner now for a year and a half and 20,000+ kms ... here's my 2 cents (and we don't even have them anymore)

I concur that the Venture motor is superior to the Harley but how do you base this when compared to the Vic motor ... it hasn't been around long enough although considering it's track record so far, I'd say it's a pretty solid engine ... much the same as the Venture's and definitely superior to the Harley.

I had more mirror and handlebar "buzz" on my Venture than I do on the Vic ... in fact, there isn't any on the Vic .... except when I got it wound to the max maybe LOL but I can run at 100+ mph and still see clearly in the mirrors.

As for more revvy, these Vic engines can wind up to 5+ grand and still be pulling and I guarantee you, they've hit higher hp and torque way before the Venture engine hits it's max.

Unfortunately, a new Vic just doesn't "loosen up" before about 5,000 k or so therefore, anyone testing a new one can be mis-led as to their power.

Enjoyed your writeup ... just felt the need to add some perspective re: Victory albeit somewhat bias .

why does everyone avoid the stratoliner? ive had mine almost 4 years and would'nt trade it for any bike made. very comfortable and roomy, ultra powerful and fast, wing like handling, and looks like a motorcycle is supposed to. they can also be bought at a cheap price. theres no engine heat on the legs at all. no they don't have all the silly buttons and toys to play with on the handle bars, but come on folks it's a motorcyle not an iphone. try one you'll like it. if you don't you need to be in a car not on a bike. :stirthepot:

why does everyone avoid the stratoliner? ive had mine almost 4 years and would'nt trade it for any bike made. very comfortable and roomy, ultra powerful and fast, wing like handling, and looks like a motorcycle is supposed to. they can also be bought at a cheap price. theres no engine heat on the legs at all. no they don't have all the silly buttons and toys to play with on the handle bars, but come on folks it's a motorcyle not an iphone. try one you'll like it. if you don't you need to be in a car not on a bike. :stirthepot:

I agree, the stratoliner is a very underrated bike. I own one as well and its like riding a lazyboy on wheels with excellent handling and MASSIVE power. Mine is bone stock and and all my buddies that have $5k motor work on their new Harleys only see my taillight...........

If I was interested in another cruiser style bike I would consider the Stratoliner but I'm only interested in a touring bike with features similar to the RSV. The topic of this thread is the Indian Roadmaster. Thanks BigLenny for your excellent review. Glad to hear it doesn't shake like a HD.

Back before I bought my first RSV the local Honda Dealer had a 2006 Strat on eBay with an opening bid of $7100. It had a bunch of Corbin add ons, and was immaculate. The starting bid is what it went for, and I was that close to pulling the trigger and tossing a bid at it, but chickened out at the last minute due to a lite wallet. Later I wished that I had. I really liked that bike... Who knows it might have been a life changing experience. :confused07:

The Harley will always make one feel that way because they are much more torquey at the lower rpm ... but that's it. The Vic will fool you as it really comes alive once you've gotten to appx 2400 rpm. With a $150 adjustable timing wheel, that will drop to 1900 or so.

Being a Victory owner now for a year and a half and 20,000+ kms ... here's my 2 cents (and we don't even have them anymore)

I concur that the Venture motor is superior to the Harley but how do you base this when compared to the Vic motor ... it hasn't been around long enough although considering it's track record so far, I'd say it's a pretty solid engine ... much the same as the Venture's and definitely superior to the Harley.

I had more mirror and handlebar "buzz" on my Venture than I do on the Vic ... in fact, there isn't any on the Vic .... except when I got it wound to the max maybe LOL but I can run at 100+ mph and still see clearly in the mirrors.

As for more revvy, these Vic engines can wind up to 5+ grand and still be pulling and I guarantee you, they've hit higher hp and torque way before the Venture engine hits it's max.

Unfortunately, a new Vic just doesn't "loosen up" before about 5,000 k or so therefore, anyone testing a new one can be mis-led as to their power.

Enjoyed your writeup ... just felt the need to add some perspective re: Victory albeit somewhat bias .

SiverT,

Great response to my point. And you actually owning the CCT makes me give credence to the Victory motor being as good as the Venture powerplant. My opinion was based on immediately after riding those bikes, we jumped on our bike to head home and the V4 just felt smoother and more revy than the VTwins. I told my wife that I actually felt a little guilty even thinking that maybe the new motors were better than our old V4. The Vic motor was awesome, and certainly more smooth and refined feeling than the Harleys engine, but it still gave that thumpity thumpity thumpity of the VTwin that I'm personally having a hard time buying into. When I blip the throttle of the V4 when the clutch is pulled or it is in neutral, it returns back a smooth quick rev that is cool feeling. When I do that on the VTwins it returns something that feels strong, but a little lacking, and kinda feels like a half miss or something that bothers me. I know it's just a wierd thing that is going on in my noggin, but I can't shake it. I agree with you that the V4 gives more handlebar and mirror buzz than the CCT does, but I gotta tell you, for some reason the Vision mirrors were vibrating so bad I couldn't see out of them when we were going down the freeway. They smoothed out at less than freeway speeds. Not sure why. They aren't as hard mounted as the CCT that you have. The Indian has all the great characteristics of the Victory motor, but that sucker is stronger than train smoke. It's a honker and I loved the power.

Thanks for the imput.

IMHO,, what you guys are probably noticing in vibration differences between the Harley and the others has to do with counterbalancing (Indian, Victory, Yam Strat and lots of others use it). Harley actually produces an "A" motor and a "B" motor, if my memory serves me correctly - the A motor is what you will find in the Ultra, Roadglide, Dyna's... The "B" motor is a counterbalanced motor and HD uses it in their Softails..

Just for kicks and giggles, if you get a chance to compare the two motors at a demo or something, take note that the B motors are solid mounted and extremely smooth, the A motors are rubber mounted - dance around in the frame and still produce an ample amount of shake in the bike to (judging from the sales of the A motored bikes like the Street Glide, compared to the very smooth B motored bikes) still please the masses..

Speaking Indian, I personally followed that 111 Indian motor pretty closely from original unveiling at Daytona.. Right away I picked up on several things that I REALLY liked.. The cam arrangement being one (gear drive). Right side drive belt (talk about easy belt swap,, if you have ever done a belt on big twin Harley you know what I mean). Gear driven primary.. As far as the counterbalanced motor,,, hmmmm,,, I like my V-TWINS to dance and shake,, I like my bars and front wheel to bounce around when I am sitting at a stop sign :rotf:.. Now,, I dont like a "buzzing" feeling like you get if the cranks weights are out of phase a few thou but thats a different "feeling".. At any rate, that Indian motor is a gorgeous design in a gorgeous bike for sure and I bet if I could afford to own one I would learn to accept and love its smooth, balanced motor for what it is..:cool10: IMHO, Polaris got their slogan wrong,, it shouldnt be "Choice is here", it should be "Indian - making it that much harder to choose from a variety of great bikes"!!!:backinmyday:

A friend and I attended a Victory Demo Ride a couple of weeks ago. Being 6'3" and around 250lb, Victory CCT looked like a logical choice for me. Sat on one at the International Motorcycle Show in DC last winter and it felt great, right off of the showroom. None of the bikes felt that way, I had to "adapt" every one of them so far. So, needless to say, I was very excited to ride both CCT and Vision.

And in a sentence - what a disappointment! First of all, both bikes felt underpowered. I tried to shift at 1500rpms, 2500, 3500, 4500,...either way it would accelerate the same way - slow and unresponsive. There was absolutely no feeling of engine power, the feeling that you have to hold on tight on the handlebars. Pardon my French, but it felt lazy. I'm sure quite a few people will disagree with me but that was my initial impression. I REALLY wanted it to work. I am ready for the "upgrade" and I was sure CCT will be it. But I couldn't believe how lifeless it was.

The other thing - they felt "cheap". Plastic was Tupperware quality, bendable, unsecure. Side panel has no screws, just a three rubber prongs that don't hold well at all (one bike had one side panel "secured" with zip-ties since it flew off and was scratched up and cracked already). CCT had some kind of rattle in the fairing and I was told that's "normal". Please, don't get me wrong - they handle great, excellent brakes, very comfortable, nice suspension,....but no power. Mirrors were shaking at all speeds but I guess that's adjustable. I was NEVER a Harley guy but last year at the demo ride, Ultra Classic didn't feel comfortable (kinda small and cramped) but plenty, plenty of power. I rode in 3rd gear both 25mph and 65mph and it felt absolutely fine. Plenty torque and power. And yea, when you stop it will shake your kidneys out but as soon as you take off it was as smooth as butter. And it felt solid, every part was finished, it looked tight and sturdy. It felt like an expensive bike. Victory didn't feel like a $20K+ bike. Not at all!...

Please don't kill the messenger. This is just my humble opinion. Maybe I've expected too much but for that kinda money I better expect a lot. I was very disappointed....

BTW, it probably didn't help that people working the Victory Demo Ride were HORRIBLE, RUDE JERKS! Very unprofessional, unhelpful and unorganized. Overall, I'm not spending money there...

A friend and I attended a Victory Demo Ride a couple of weeks ago. Being 6'3" and around 250lb, Victory CCT looked like a logical choice for me. Sat on one at the International Motorcycle Show in DC last winter and it felt great, right off of the showroom. None of the bikes felt that way, I had to "adapt" every one of them so far. So, needless to say, I was very excited to ride both CCT and Vision.

And in a sentence - what a disappointment! First of all, both bikes felt underpowered. I tried to shift at 1500rpms, 2500, 3500, 4500,...either way it would accelerate the same way - slow and unresponsive. There was absolutely no feeling of engine power, the feeling that you have to hold on tight on the handlebars. Pardon my French, but it felt lazy. I'm sure quite a few people will disagree with me but that was my initial impression. I REALLY wanted it to work. I am ready for the "upgrade" and I was sure CCT will be it. But I couldn't believe how lifeless it was.

The other thing - they felt "cheap". Plastic was Tupperware quality, bendable, unsecure. Side panel has no screws, just a three rubber prongs that don't hold well at all (one bike had one side panel "secured" with zip-ties since it flew off and was scratched up and cracked already). CCT had some kind of rattle in the fairing and I was told that's "normal". Please, don't get me wrong - they handle great, excellent brakes, very comfortable, nice suspension,....but no power. Mirrors were shaking at all speeds but I guess that's adjustable. I was NEVER a Harley guy but last year at the demo ride, Ultra Classic didn't feel comfortable (kinda small and cramped) but plenty, plenty of power. I rode in 3rd gear both 25mph and 65mph and it felt absolutely fine. Plenty torque and power. And yea, when you stop it will shake your kidneys out but as soon as you take off it was as smooth as butter. And it felt solid, every part was finished, it looked tight and sturdy. It felt like an expensive bike. Victory didn't feel like a $20K+ bike. Not at all!...

Please don't kill the messenger. This is just my humble opinion. Maybe I've expected too much but for that kinda money I better expect a lot. I was very disappointed....

BTW, it probably didn't help that people working the Victory Demo Ride were HORRIBLE, RUDE JERKS! Very unprofessional, unhelpful and unorganized. Overall, I'm not spending money there...

Before I bought my CCT, I test rode them 3 or 4 times over a period of a couple years. I have to agree somewhat that there were a couple times where it left me disappointed in their power.

Then I rode a demo bike used by one of the owners that had a few thousand kms on it. What a difference! I was hooked. I also learned, at that time, that these bikes just don't have a lot of torque at rpms below 2300.

When I got my CCT it had 3 km on it. It took until at least 5,000 km before it started to show some real signs of "life". I knew this going in coz I'd spent some time on a Vic site and everyone says the same thing ... "ya gotta get at least 3000 miles on these things before they come alive".

Mirror vibration? Rattle in the fairing? NADA. Not on my CCT.

Slow and unresponsive acceleration? Ya, even after several thousand kms it would seem that way unless it was running 2500 rpm or higher but even that wasn't gonna snap your head back.

As for the "tupperware plastic" .... go check out a Kaw Voyager.

Side covers do tend to pop loose but it seems to only happen when the passenger bumps them with their boot heel. Heck, I had side covers come loose on my Wing and my 1st gen. Seems to be a "nature of the beast" with those push pin things.

Since I bought my CCT in May, 2013 I've made a few changes.

Added an adjustable timing wheel and set it at 4 degrees advance. Cost appx $150. Result ... MAJOR improvement in torque and power especially below 2500 rpm.

Added a Lloydz high-flow air filter. Helped with the breathing and power.

Removed the catalytic convertors. Drastically cuts down on engine (actually exhaust) heat on the right side under the passenger footrest. Also improves engine breathing.

Changed out the mufflers to D&D performance. Great sound and adds to overall performance.

Installed Power Commander with Auto-tune. Improves HP and torque considerably especially above 2500 rpm.

With these few mods (total cost under $1500) I now have the "snap my head back" effect when I crank it.

In summary, and I say it again, don't be disillusioned by these bikes when on a demo ride coz new ones will tend to fool ya.

I rode a 2008 Vic Vision.I was very impressed on how easy it was to ride.Was not impressed with the way that series of bike dealt with the shifting indicator. You never really knew what gear you were in because it was always suggesting another gear.Those year of bike have a whine in 4th and 6th gear that can be annoying compared to other bikes.

I must admit it was a pleasure to ride and was incredibly nimble for a bike of that size.The engine sounds on the bike are not that impressive but that is a subjective comment.I will say it seemed to have endless power and would walk away from my Venture under acceleration with no problem.

I am really on the fence on the bike. The CCT tour seems to be the bike in the series to get but I like the Vision styling. That's my two cents.

I was hoping to get a response from Rick, since he's the one with a real experience on the bike. Again, it didn't help that people running that demo ride were rude and unprofessional. The first impression and experience was bad and it just went south from there. As I mentioned, I wasn't going there with no opinion about the bike - I was sold on the bike, based on comfort, fit, design, characteristics, and everything I could read about them. I've already decided that's my next bike. So my disappointment was even greater...

It's good to hear that a few "adjustments" can make them more responsive. That was one thing that was the biggest surprise. I've expected much more from the engine that size.

The cheap plastic - yea, I'm sure there are other bikes with the same feel. I was just surprised that a $20K+ bike would feel that way. My friend rode one of the cruiser at the first ride (he gave up after that ride when the staff started treating everybody like a kids waiting for a ride at the state fair) and he said it had plenty of power and handled nicely, with no rattle. He liked it. Which makes me even more upset with the Victory as a company for letting people down by hiring a few lowlifes to represent them.

Last fall (a year ago) a friend and I rode to Berkley Springs, WV to visit a Victory dealership there. They wouldn't even let us sit on them! Apparently, they had accidents with people tipping bikes over in the showroom!... IDK, I guess I need to find a more friendly dealer and sales people hahaha. They were great at International Motorcycle Show in DC but when you go to them directly.....

I'm sure I'll try them again in the future. At this point, I'm not considering them which is unfortunate cause they have absolutely the best fit and I like the design, too....

The engine sounds on the bike are not that impressive but that is a subjective comment.

Yes, the engine sounds are noticeable. In fact, in the beginning it sounded like there was a lot of valve train slop or something. Thought there was something wrong... but that's the way they are and in time, I got used to it and now, don't even realize those sounds exist. 'Course, a pair of D&D mufflers might have something to do with that LOL

You'll also notice it's quite "clunky" when shifting In time, that quietens down and about the only time you hear it is going into 1st or 2nd. Totally normal. The tranny is very solid, straight cut gears with helical gears between primary and secondary shaft.

Also, you can't shift these bikes like many others during the downshift. It's ok going down to 5th or 4th but blipping the gas going down to 3rd, 2nd, 1st ... especially 1st, the computer seems to think the engine is "running away" and will sometimes simply shut down. Once I knew about that, I never blip the gas going down to those gears anymore. Just a simple "re-programming" of my own habit is the cure.

As for the gear indicator, yes, it does tend to fool ya if you rely on it. If the clutch is in, it shows no gear so, you don't actually see what gear you're in until you let the clutch out. To be honest, most other bikes I've ridden never had a gear indicator so I don't really pay that much attention to what it's displaying. I can tell from the rpm's, speed, and engine sound pretty much what gear I'm in. I've also found myself taking off in 2nd gear a few times with no stalling or lugging.

If you've got a hankerin to own one of these bikes, don't let a crappy dealer stop ya.

Where I bought mine, the guys are fantastic and whenever I drop in to the shop, they all remember me, say "hi, how ya dooin? How's the bike? blah blah..." and when I need something done, they've always been super accommodating.

(maybe it's a Canadian thing,,, :whistling:)

Sooo,, getting back to the Polaris Indian thoughts..

While goofing around trying to figure out where the heck the Salmon are,, Tip and I got distracted and stopped at our local Victory shop (looking at bikes is more fun anyway).. I asked if they (the Victory shop) was going to eventually handle the new Indians..

The owner of the shop explained that Polaris is being extremely cautious with the Indian Franchises.. While he handles Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki and Victory,,, all mingled in together,, Polaris will not allow the new Indian to share floor space..

He said that they inquired (and wanted em) about the Indian line but were told that in order to fulfill the requirements, they would have to alter their current building with a separated show room, the Indian showroom requiring a minimum of square footage and (not uncommon) an entrance door of its own.. He also said that Michigan was slated for a max of 4 dealerships.

That last comment kinda caught me off guard,, I asked if being a Polaris Victory dealership afforded them access to Indian parts or tech support if his dealership happen to have a customer in a crunch.. He said no,, they literally cant touch em and can not purchase or sell parts for them,, they are relegated SOLEY to an authorized Indian Dealership.. He also said that violating that agreement with Polaris could cost them their Vic franchise..

IMHO, while a little disconcerting,, this is an interesting marketing strategy to say the least.. Harleys move to put a dealership in every town to support their products has certainly worked well and they have succeeded in selling a LOT of bikes.. I can see Polaris's perspective of wanting to keep the Indian marquee something "special" (it is special) and wanting to give the buying public the "feeling" that if you ride an Indian - you are wayyy above run of the mill joe bike rider.. I can also see them wanting to protect and glorify their creation - IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!

On the other hand, being a cross country touring person with a few miles under my belt has taught me some things.. First and foremost,, I dont care whether its a Harley, Honda, BMW, Yamaha, Kaw, Suzuki or Indian,,,, if its a motorcycle and its headed to parts unknown - sooner or later its gonna break AND they always break at the most inopportune times... That being said, IMHO,, I am not sure that the marketing strategy of planned extreme minimal dealership opportunitys is conducive to the motorcycle touring industry.... If it were as simple as a growth curve - needing time to establish dealerships - that would be different... But,,, it appears that is not the case...

Thank you, Puc, for getting this thread back on topic. I was getting so confused. :confused24:

The dealer I went to was Dick Scott in Plymouth MI. They are selling both Indian, Polaris and Victory and all in one big showroom as far as I could see. Maybe they will be making some changes down the road but that's the way it is now.

The closest Indian dealer here in Ontario is in the Toronto area. Kind of hard to get warranty work done or buy parts when the closest dealer is over 200 miles away. Canadians can't import new bikes from the states, only used ones so buying new in Michigan won't work unless it's a dealer demo that's already been registered. Then getting warranty work done there wouldn't be as issue.

I agree with you, they need to set up a substantial dealer network. It would only make sense to combine the Indians with other Polaris products at already established dealerships.

I just did a Google search for the closest CDN dealer and the one in Burlington showed up. It's interesting that the same dealer is listed under two different names.

Peak Powersports sells Indian, Polaris and Victory. Indian Motorcycle of Oakville (same address as Peak Powersports) sells Indian.

BTW, this is the only dealer listed for Ontario. The next closest is Montreal, Quebec. There are only five dealers listed for all of Canada with two being in Alberta. One other is listed in Winnipeg Manitoba. Few and far between for sure.

Edited by Gary N.

Puc,

Your point of why Indian is sparcing out thier dealerships is a very real possibility. However, my feeling is there is not a bike out there that is wayyyy above another. Now, there are people who are inclined to feel thay way about their stuff because they are "my stuff is better than your stuff" type people. But, in reality, there really isn't a bike in the price range that we on this forum can afford that is wayyy better than another. I completely understand if that is Indian's go to market strategy, but I've ridden their bike, and while I have posted that it was certainly a very nice ride with a bushel full of power, it isn't wayyy over all the other bikes in it's segment. No matter how much a person pays for a bike, that sucker still has the possibility of leaving your booty on the side of the road some day. As a matter of fact, while I am impressed with and like to look at bikes that I know costs a ton of money, I am just as impressed, and maybe even more so, with bikes that have some serious years behind them, and costs little to nothing, but continue to tote their owners across this beautiful nation, ie: Tweeks.

It never ceases to amaze me how we Americans fall for the same ol marketing tricks over and over and over. Indian is a beautiful machine! It rides very impressively and will scoot like heck when you need it to, but the lack of dealer network is a deal breaker for me. I am like you, I think they need to give everyone who is interested in owning a dealership the opportunity to do so. That way their dealer network wouldn't be as much of a discussion.

Heres a story that'll baffle you. We have a motorcycle parts house here in Little Rock that is in a word, awesome! It is called Rodney's Cycle House. Rodney has been in business for probably 25-30 years and is well known and respected in the v twin biker community around this part of the country. Very well ran and first class place with lots of aftermarket stuff and a shop to install it, plus a biker restuarant called Handlebars Grill. It's a nice place that sits right on I-30, one of the busiest interstates in this part of the country. If you're going to Dallas from the middle of the country, your probably going to be going down I-30. Every Thursday Rodney has a bike night at his place with an outside bar and live bands. he usually gets a couple hundred bikers there on Thursday nights. really popular place. Now, there is a Polaris, Victory, Indian dealership in a town called Gravel Ridge about 40 miles away from Rodneys and it is an over the river and through the woods trip to get to the place. I have talked to plenty of riders that didn't even know the place had Indians. The dealership was the only place in the area selling Victorys, so the owner of the place applied for the Indian dealership and got it. They have made an area of their building dedicated to Indian, but you have to go through the Victory area, and then trek through a boat load of Polaris 4 wheelers and side by sides to get to it. It's a nice little corner of the building, kinda teeny. And this place is way out in the middle of nowhere. This owner has another Polaris dealership in a town beside Little Rock. It is a little box of a building that he has crammed with 4 wheelers and side by sides, but doesn't sell Victorys or Indians there. This dealership is only about 15 miles from Rodneys Cycle House, but as I said, only Polaris there. Well, Rodney went to Indian and talked to them about the possibility of putting an Indian dealership at his large well known parts business. It would be a perfect situation and Indian would sell a crap load of bikes out of that place, and Rodney is the type of guy that he would have a first class dealership that showcased only Indain. Indian made the decision that because the guy that owns the little tiny Indian dealership 40 miles away in the middle of nowhere also has the Polaris dealership that is only 15 miles from Rodney, that they wouldn't grant him a dealership because that owner has the option of some day cramming Indians in that little box of a building, which will never happen. Decisions like this are probably happening all across the country. The dealership that is 40 miles away in a remote little nothing place is doing fine and will serve that market area. But, Rodney's would allow Indian to have a major footprint in the metro Little Rock area with a position right on I-30. Both dealerships would survive and would be good for Indian, but it's decisions like this that will ultimately keep Indian from exploding in sales. Who knows, maybe they don't really want to grow that fast. Crazy.