IGNORED

goldwing f6 "no cruise control"

jfoster

I read in one m/c magazine at Walmart today that mentioned that the F6 had no cruise control! It's hard to believe Honda would take it away from existing equipment if it's correct. Maybe I misread it?

Edited by jfoster

Straight from Honda:

"Two Feature-Packed Versions.

The Gold Wing F6B comes stacked with good things, but for those who want even more, there's the F6B Deluxe: everything in the standard F6B, plus a center stand, self-cancelling turn signals, a backrest, and heated grips. And just like the standard F6B, it comes in either Black or Red."

Have straddled a few now, IMHO an impressive machine. Talked with owners who have put a few miles on them and get a lot of the same comments like: Super quick, well balanced, low center of gravity, BUT, I need a taller shield, why no centerstand, etc. Mostly dissapointment that Honda would strip some of the standard features.:confused24:

However, again IMHO, It is not a touring bike in the least and offers minimal long distance comfort for the driver and passenger. Just my opinion.:scratchchin:

It will never replace the Venture for me.

Ride Safe,

James

I read in one m/c magazine at Walmart today that mentioned that the F6 had no cruise control! It's hard to believe Honda would take it away from existing equipment if it's correct. Maybe I misread it?

Really ? I think the bigger question here is...Why were you "in" a Walmart...and reading the magazines for free ? :detective:

That aside, it is true that the F6B does NOT have a cruise control, and does not have the handlebar controls for a CB, if you chose to install the CB. This is a stripped down Wing cruiser. :(

Now, back to the real question, why were you reading motorcycle magazine for free in a Walmart? :rotf:

:backinmyday:

Really ? I think the bigger question here is...Why were you "in" a Walmart...and reading the magazines for free ? :detective:

That aside, it is true that the F6B does NOT have a cruise control, and does not have the handlebar controls for a CB, if you chose to install the CB. This is a stripped down Wing cruiser. :(

Now, back to the real question, why were you reading motorcycle magazine for free in a Walmart? :rotf:

? Just happened....I can see them giving it a more of the street glide look, but being spoiled and like most I love my cruise control, that would be a deal breaker for me. Same reason I passed up the stratoliner for the RSTD.

A'Lot of People ( in the Real world) can't buy a Brandy new Goldwing, For a lot of us, the thought of a 23K to 30K Bike is out of the question.

The cruise doesn't bother me as much, as to not the option of a taller wind screen. (Tall screen 399.00) Passenger back rest 399.00.

I'm thinking next option is the Kawasaki Voyager 1700, at least you'll get a full dresser, for 18K:mo money::mo money::mo money:

The Kawai Vaquero is around 17K if you want the street glide look with no trunk. I think a Cross Country Vic comes in pretty close to that also. I saw one of the F6's the other day while looking for some cleaner. not bad looking, but if a decent height windscreen is $400 and a backrest another 400 phew. Thats alot of ice cream.

The Kawai Vaquero is around 17K if you want the street glide look with no trunk. I think a Cross Country Vic comes in pretty close to that also. I saw one of the F6's the other day while looking for some cleaner. not bad looking, but if a decent height windscreen is $400 and a backrest another 400 phew. Thats alot of ice cream.

How many of you buy your new windshield for the Venture from Mama Yama? No one in his right mind (IMHO) buys an accessory like this from the dealer, unless he enjoys paying through the nose.

Whether you are buying for a Venture or for the new F6B, buy from an aftermarket source and the cost will be much less.

The F6B is not meant to replace the decked-out full-blown GL1800 Goldwing. It is a stripped down version for those who will never buy the original 1800. They are trying to reach the cruiser buyers, not the dedicated comfort-demanding touring riders.

OH....BTW, there is a third party electronic cruise control available (for basically any FI bike) that retails for $240. Takes a bit of installation time, but it's not expensive to add cruise control if you gotta have it. For me, the deal killer for the F6B (if I were in the market for that kind of bike which I'm not) would be the lack of reverse. A short inseam guy like me can't do without the backup assistance.

Joe

Edited by FreezyRider

It is a stripped down version for those who will never buy the original 1800.

Joe

Oh Joe, no no no no no. I would own an F6B in a heartbeat, and I have owned 3 Goldwing 1800's...an '03, an '04, and an '06. And because I have had 3 of those Wings, I would go for the F6B, because it is that much different. The beauty in it (from my perspective) is that you get the same basic drivetrain, but in a blacked out bike.

What attracts me the most to the F6B is the all blacked out engine, frame, and wheels. Every one of my Wings I have had to power-coat the wheels black. I would have liked to have the frame painted black, and the engine made black, but I didn't. Now the F6B offers that.

You are right, I would buy the taller windshield from an aftermarket company, just as I did with my previous 3 Wings. I always took the stock windshield off, and installed either a Tulsa sport windshield, or a Clearview. So it is very easy to install a taller windshield on the F6B. And...you are right, it is relatively easy to buy and install a cruise control for the F6B if a person wants one. I would buy one, as I do use my cruise, at higher speeds, to do things while on the bike...not to just cruise down the road at a steady drone speed.

The reverse being gone is not a deal breaker for me. My insean is only 30"/31", but I rarely used the reverse on my Wings, so I can live without it.

I do wish that Mother Honda had installed the same left handlebar control for audio that is on the normal 1800 Wings...that includes the controls for the CB. I do use a CB, and buying an F6B would mean I would have to install a JMCB2003 unit which would not look as good on the F6B as a stock CB control from a big Wing would look.

Again, to me, the attraction is all the blacked out wheels, engine and frame. I can easily add things to make it change its' tune from a cruiser to a tourer, by simple add-ons.

Don't we already do that with every bike we own...add this...take off that ????

Make it our own, customize it...but never paint it Yellow:stirthepot:

Oh Joe, no no no no no. I would own an F6B in a heartbeat, and I have owned 3 Goldwing 1800's...an '03, an '04, and an '06. And because I have had 3 of those Wings, I would go for the F6B, because it is that much different.

Yeah, but we all know you ain't normal anyway!! :big-grin-emoticon:

There is a huge discussion on these issues over on the GL1800riders forum. In reading the threads there, I do think that you are in the minority on this. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but most who are buying the F6B are either selling their GL1800 Wing or are coming over from other cruiser-style bikes. Yeah, there are a few that are buying them as an additional ride, but they are in the minority according to what I am reading.

BTW, I'd LOVE to have a 30-31" inseam. Try backing up the fat lady on an incline when your inseam is 26-27. Ain't gonna happen. And then throw in some loose gravel under your feet. Love my reverse. :hurts:

Yeah, but we all know you ain't normal anyway!! :big-grin-emoticon:

There is a huge discussion on these issues over on the GL1800riders forum. In reading the threads there, I do think that you are in the minority on this. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but most who are buying the F6B are either selling their GL1800 Wing or are coming over from other cruiser-style bikes. Yeah, there are a few that are buying them as an additional ride, but they are in the minority according to what I am reading.

BTW, I'd LOVE to have a 30-31" inseam. Try backing up the fat lady on an incline when your inseam is 26-27. Ain't gonna happen. And then throw in some loose gravel under your feet. Love my reverse. :hurts:

FreezyRider, you are correct...I am not normal. What is normal anyway?

And I don't mind being in the minority. Aren't we all in thwe minority, when it comes to the general populous? Given that it is the minority that ride motorcycles, and the majority drive cars...or walk...then we ALL are in the minority. And...my being in the IBA even further seapates me from the majority of motorcycle riders. So...I am so out there in left field, I continue to ride alone...boo hoo hoo.

And yes, you are also correct in that those riders that have a "need" for using the reverse, really do use it. I have used it on occassion, but I can live without it. In your case, the bike must have a reverse.

Now that you have been correct 3 times today, you can go back to bed, and dream about what yuou are going to be correct about tomorrow. No sense going to work, and making mistakes.:rotf:

What attracts me the most to the F6B is the all blacked out engine,

Miles you can't really see the engine so how do we know it's blacked out?:whistling:

Rick that is a good question. The answer is: When I take the plastic cowlings off to install the Nitrous kit, then I will take a good look at the engine.:rotf:

Nope, no cruise, and no reverse either. The bike is not a "Wing" ... it is a bagger with a goldwing engine and it's intended to target a specific market. I also think it's designed to get back that "Valkyrie" market.

Miles, (I'm jesting here) After you riding a non-cruise controlled Super Tenere from Washington to Brazil and back, shouldn't that disqualify you from discussing any logical reason for the need or no need of that feature with the rest of us cruise addicted brethren? LOL.

Or.....did you install an after market one before you left on the trip?

Miles, (I'm jesting here) After you riding a non-cruise controlled Super Tenere from Washington to Brazil and back, shouldn't that disqualify you from discussing any logical reason for the need or no need of that feature with the rest of us cruise addicted brethren? LOL.

Or.....did you install an after market one before you left on the trip?

BigLenny, riding a bike like the Super Tenere' would be unwise to install a cruise control, other than a simple throttle lock. When riding off road, down gravel roads for hundreds of miles, across creek beds, rivers, or hauling butt up the Haul Road in Alaska, it would be an error to switch the bike over to electronic cruise control, and then have to switch it off 3 seconds later. However, a good old fashioned throttle lock is an accepted idea, if a rider wants to lock the throttle open for a moment or two, while at speed, to adjust something on the bike, open a vent on their jacket, etc.

I did not have a simple throttle lock on the S10 either.

And BigLenny, I did not go to Brazil. I went to Bolivia and Chile', which is farther than making the shorter ride to Brazil. Thought you would catch me on that one...eh?:rotf:

As for use of an electronic cruise control on either an 1800 Wing, or any other bike, I only use the cruise control when I have a need to take my hand off the right grip for a moment or two., like...opening a vent on my jacket, throwing ball bearings at the car behind me :rotf:, or turning on my heated grips or heated clothing controls. Otherwise I use my right hand for the throttle control 99.314159 % of the time. :cool10:

(couldn't resist that one)

Back to you...BigLenny (still waiting for you to take that trip to Alaska)

Guest tx2sturgis

Yall should check out the Ural: gear driven reverse, and an $8 crampbuster throttle assist plastic thingy...

Poof! Instant cruise control!

:smile5:

BigLenny, riding a bike like the Super Tenere' would be unwise to install a cruise control, other than a simple throttle lock. When riding off road, down gravel roads for hundreds of miles, across creek beds, rivers, or hauling butt up the Haul Road in Alaska, it would be an error to switch the bike over to electronic cruise control, and then have to switch it off 3 seconds later. However, a good old fashioned throttle lock is an accepted idea, if a rider wants to lock the throttle open for a moment or two, while at speed, to adjust something on the bike, open a vent on their jacket, etc.

I did not have a simple throttle lock on the S10 either.

And BigLenny, I did not go to Brazil. I went to Bolivia and Chile', which is farther than making the shorter ride to Brazil. Thought you would catch me on that one...eh?:rotf:

As for use of an electronic cruise control on either an 1800 Wing, or any other bike, I only use the cruise control when I have a need to take my hand off the right grip for a moment or two., like...opening a vent on my jacket, throwing ball bearings at the car behind me :rotf:, or turning on my heated grips or heated clothing controls. Otherwise I use my right hand for the throttle control 99.314159 % of the time. :cool10:

(couldn't resist that one)

Back to you...BigLenny (still waiting for you to take that trip to Alaska)

Miles,

The whole time I was typing my "cruise control message", I had this little voice in the back of my mind asking me, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS! LOL. The instant I hit the submit reply button, I knew that I was opening a can of worms that you were going to smear onto my face with a very intelligent and appropriate response.

Thank you Sir. You did not disappoint.

Now, as for the Alaska trip question. We've decided it won't be this year, however, it is definitely in the vacation pipeline for us to do in the next couple years. When we do, I will certainly accept your kind offer of assistance.