IGNORED

looks like a blown freeze plug - pics too

went to prep the bike to trailer to maint day in Tomball, Tx and what did i find? green fluid on the clutch cover and an open hole on the valve jug.

tell me if i have guessed correctly and a freeze plug has blown out. the green stuff is anti freez (that didn't work).

then i guess i will need a freeze plug. how do you install a new one?

I don't know what is going on with my bike, but if all "junk" comes in three's, then i should be clear by now.

1 rear tire flat - new one bought and installed

2 clutch shifter problem - in process

3 freeze plug - in learning curve.

thanks

The open hole you have there is plugged by a rubber plug (look on the other jug of that side). Not sure if that is considered a freeze plug or not, I assume it is. Anyhow, purchase a new one (or find the one that fell out) and it just pops right in by hand. If it just fell out, I would buy a new one, shouldn't be too expensive.

Dave

Freeze Plug in LA>>>>

Hmmmm you would think that most of us living above the 44th Parallel would have seen this more often than not but we have not. Hope someone can clarify this or have better terminology than "Freeze Plug". I will be watching this (very curious) :icon_smile_question

The open hole you have there is plugged by a rubber plug (look on the other jug of that side). Not sure if that is considered a freeze plug or not, I assume it is. Anyhow, purchase a new one (or find the one that fell out) and it just pops right in by hand. If it just fell out, I would buy a new one, shouldn't be too expensive.

Dave

And the fins hold it in place...I would look around where you put the fins when you took them off...

well, well, an anti freeze cylinder drain plug that comes out with the fins. and i have the fins but not plug. i will have to look around the shop floor. i have swept once, but don't remember seeing something like that. i will check the trash can. i will presume it looks like its cylinder mates anti freeze cylinder drain plug that isn't a "freeze" prevention plug.

i can't order one as i need it for coming saturday. i hope the yammy shop has one.

Lake Charles has all the major automotive parts reseller stores, could it be a stock item in one of those?

looked in the trash, looked on the bike and looked around the shop floor. looked on the fin. looked on the other fin too, could not find it.

I did find a tire valve cap i lost a few months back.

i will have to get one through the yammy shop.

If they don't have it, i will see if one of you attending the Tomball, Tx maint day has a yammy shop with one.

this feels like one of those never ending sagas of one thing leads to another.

i have had my challenges lately and i really, really have had enough.

i can't order one as i need it for coming saturday. i hope the yammy shop has one.

Lake Charles has all the major automotive parts reseller stores, could it be a stock item in one of those?

My guess is that you will not be able to find it at an autoparts store since it isn't really a 'standard' plug of any sort.

A good Yamaha dealer ought to be able to get one to you next day or a 3-5 days out (max) IF they don't have one in stock. So, if I were you I'd be on the horn first thing tomorrow morning (if not go into your local shop) and see what you can do locally. If not, give a call to a shop that will be in the area of the M.D. and maybe someone can pick it up for you (if you don't go by yourself).

Good luck!!

Its black and hard to see. Looks real good between the exhaust and the frame under where the plug goes. It could be hiding there. BTW never start up your bike with the fins off It will pop a plug out in a heartbeat.

I called the lake charles yammy place & they said it wouldn't be here till next week. i told him i needed it for saturday. he said to call the DeRidder yammy place. they were just placing their order and said they felt soooo very confident their stuff will be here friday. i said i will gamble with that, so i plunked down my hard plastic and ordered it. we will see.

if all else fails, i can just take the one off another cylinder and ......:lightbulb:

i will go with what i got. i am only one man, part human and part animal.

If I have to, i will make a gasket from sheet gasket and permatex and fashion a freeze drain plug from some rubber blank stock.

Lowes or an auto parts store probably has some type of rubber plug that will cork it well enough to get you on the road until your part comes in from the dealer. Put a little permatex ultra blue on it, and cork it up. The fins will keep it in place. If it doesn't leak-it's fixed. Repair can probably be seen on an old MacGuyver episode using a booger and a piece of shoelace.

Its black and hard to see. Looks real good between the exhaust and the frame under where the plug goes. It could be hiding there. BTW never start up your bike with the fins off It will pop a plug out in a heartbeat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to the shop last night and did a look see. i did not have that nice noon time sunshine light, so i may have missed it on the bike. i went thru the trash can and scourered the floor to no avail. I did have to walk the bike out of the shop, turn it around and back in so it is facing out so i can load it up on the trailer. the drain plug may have fallen on the drive way. that will be a circus as we have that loose ground up asphalt stuff and a black rubber plug will blend right in. i will take a gander though. if found, i will have a spare.

the starting up with no fins is good info. kind of like watching out for the plugs when removing the fins.

dale don't let wes scare you about the "hammer". i have a 10# sleage with a 1 foot handle, that i can lay my hands on. but i also have a 20# slege with a 36" handle all ready to go, for the new meat that shows up at mx day. looking forward to finaly meet you.

reguards

don c. :big-grin-emoticon:

well, well, an anti freeze cylinder drain plug that comes out with the fins. and i have the fins but not plug. i will have to look around the shop floor. i have swept once, but don't remember seeing something like that. i will check the trash can. i will presume it looks like its cylinder mates anti freeze cylinder drain plug that isn't a "freeze" prevention plug.

Massey,

I have 3 of these in my toolbox if you need one you are welcome to it. I had an issue with mine and I wend ahead and changed all of them.

james