IGNORED

Amber Reflector in Radiator side cover

Looking to replace the reflector in the radiator side cover to one that lights up. Looking for an exact fit. Doug, DNA9656, suggested a search in ebay. I searched and this is what I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Rectangle-Reflector-Tail-Brake-Stop-Rear-Trunk-Light-Orange-Lens-for-Car-SUV-/201095020850?hash=item2ed2328132&item=201095020850&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Measurements are the same and back looks the same. Has 3 wires so thinking of using as running/directional. Has anyone purchased these or similar? Are there better options?

Looking to replace the reflector in the radiator side cover to one that lights up. Looking for an exact fit. Doug, DNA9656, suggested a search in ebay. I searched and this is what I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Rectangle-Reflector-Tail-Brake-Stop-Rear-Trunk-Light-Orange-Lens-for-Car-SUV-/201095020850?hash=item2ed2328132&item=201095020850&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Measurements are the same and back looks the same. Has 3 wires so thinking of using as running/directional. Has anyone purchased these or similar? Are there better options?

Linked item is shipping from China, long lead time.

I have gotten items much faster than stated lead time from China though.

Gary

I have been looking for something to go there, but I hate to pay $30 and wait a month or so.

RandyA

Price is $15 for two with free shipping. Amazon lists a similar item:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Rectangle-Reflector-Orange-Suzuki/dp/B00HQA0L6K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409330856&sr=8-3&keywords=Orange+12V+LED+Rectangle]Amazon.com: 2x Motorcycle LED Rectangle Reflector Turn Brake Tail Light Orange for Suzuki Ducati etc: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WKGcS8caL.@@AMEPARAM@@41WKGcS8caL[/ame]

Cost more but may be worth it to get it sooner.

These lights are VERY CLOSE in size but they ARE NOT an exact replacement; at least not on my 83.5/84 or the 85. You'll have to file an end and side slightly to get them to fit exactly, I believe it's because the black base is wider on the bottom (where the back/bottom of the light rests on the location than the black edge is as it rests against the lighting element proper. Anyway you'll see what I mean when you get your lights, I fit mine using my bench grinder, and btw they won't fit in the chrome cups on the saddle bags unless you do some really serious fitting so I took mine off and mounted the LED directly to the bag. You'll want to put some RTV around the wire hole to keep water out or use a grommet, I opted for the RTV, you'll have to drill 2 holes, one for the wire to enter the saddle bag and one to exit the bag into the LED. I connected mine in parallel to the running lights in the back of the bike and to the front running lights for the engine side cover LEDs.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0320.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0304.jpg

Edited by dna9656

I installed my front set yesterday. I enlarged the lower hole on the cover to allow the wires to feed through. I used a dremel for this and I also removed a little plastic from the corners to allow it to sit flush. I attached the wires to my turn signals to provide running lights and turn signals. Will post with pictures asap, have to get to work now.

Installed the front reflector light. Enlarged the lower hole so the wires would fit and sanded down the corners a little with a dremel. Wired them to the turn signals for running lights and turn signals.

I used a four wire trailer light plug that I bought at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and just cut off one of the wires. It's a little bigger then I would have liked but it's waterproof and does the job. Between the wire attached to the light and the wire from the plug, had enough to reach the turn signal wires and just spliced it in there and wrapped it in electrical tape.

1. Back showing the enlarged hole for the wires.

2. The trailer plug

3. Installed

Vito,

Question: How did you attach the little screw type plug that holds one side of the wire grill on the frame? Picture #1.

Drill a hole in the LED light or is that glued on? OR, is that a cover for the reflector???

Guess I should take mine apart and looksee!

david

Edited by videoarizona

Vito,

Question: How did you attach the little screw type plug that holds one side of the wire grill on the frame? Picture #1.

Drill a hole in the LED light or is that glued on? OR, is that a cover for the reflector???

Guess I should take mine apart and looksee!

david

I don't completely understand but the reflector is only attached to the cover with one bolt. Just remove the cover, unscrew the nut and the reflector comes off. That's all I had to do.

Does your side cover look like the one in picture 3?

I know part of my side cover is after-market but I don't think it changes anything.

I ordered mine last week and they came Sat, really quick shipping. I had the bike apart for some other stuff so I put them on yesterday. I used a round file to enlarge the hole for the wires and a flat file to make it fit fush.

I had the left side faring off, but did the right side thru' turn signal hole. I used bullet connectors for all the connections. Not quite as convenient, but still dis-connectable. I was wiring running lights into the lower "chin" so I ran that wire down with a female bullet connector in the middle and lower end of the wire. Turn signal wire I ran to the reflector. I put a ground for both lights on a spade connector under the lower radiator bolt.

It looks like you side cover is smaller than stock.

Todd, Hmm..I bought a white string of LED's that I was thinking of sticking under the fairing so it shines down on the front wheel and ground. Added visibility and can help me see the ground while parking. Good thought you have...I can do both at same time!

Ok...time to get to work...grins. :icon_lurker: instead of popcorn and Netflix!

david