IGNORED

Looking for tips and tricks for touring

CMCOFFEY

Puc,

First glance, has me thinking you're a homeless guy. I wouldn't be able to sleep soundly in a parking lot. Then again, after 900-1000 miles, I just might...

:rotf::rotf:

Well put Barry!! THAT is what touring is all about for me,, its a flaw in my charector that has plaqued me for years,, when I am out on my bike I AM "homeless" in the sense that the road becomes my home... Last couple times Tippy has gone with me she actually CRIED when it was time to go "home",, she loves living on the road too..

It usually takes about three days of hard riding (isnt that funny,, I still remember my dad talking about horseback riding and needing 3 days to get "saddlebroke") for me to get to the point that I can sleep really really good just about anywhere..

After a week or so I even HATE stopping for gas,,, just LOVE watching the world go by.. WEIRD EAY...:confused24::confused24:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rotf::rotf:

Well put Barry!! THAT is what touring is all about for me,, its a flaw in my charector that has plaqued me for years,, when I am out on my bike I AM "homeless" in the sense that the road becomes my home... Last couple times Tippy has gone with me she actually CRIED when it was time to go "home",, she loves living on the road too..

It usually takes about three days of hard riding (isnt that funny,, I still remember my dad talking about horseback riding and needing 3 days to get "saddlebroke") for me to get to the point that I can sleep really really good just about anywhere..

After a week or so I even HATE stopping for gas,,, just LOVE watching the world go by.. WEIRD EAY...:confused24::confused24:

Not really weird, that's just PUC. I guess for me, not growing up like that, in fact it's quite opposite. In NYC, it's the concrete jungle. Always having 17 eyes open at all times, bc there is always waiting to catch ya napping....no pun intended. That too is a character flaw. Because I am much more stable and away from that scene, old habits are hard to die. I sure wish I can be more like some of y'all....but I'm trying

Not really weird, that's just PUC. I guess for me, not growing up like that, in fact it's quite opposite. In NYC, it's the concrete jungle. Always having 17 eyes open at all times, bc there is always waiting to catch ya napping....no pun intended. That too is a character flaw. Because I am much more stable and away from that scene, old habits are hard to die. I sure wish I can be more like some of y'all....but I'm trying

Heres an interesting thing that happened at that spot where I was laying on our tent in the picture above Barry..

We pulled into that spot - Severville (near Dolly World - Pigeon Forge) - rode from Michigan and spent the whole day touring the Red River Gorge (WOW) area on our way to hook up with you guys last year.. It was 2 or so in the morning when we pulled into town and found that little spot beside a gas station.. Dropped the tent on the concrete behind that building, flossed and brushed and crawled in the bag.. Last thing I remember saying to Tippy was I hope the cops dont kick us out or haul us in for vacrancy,, chuckled and fell asleep..

Next morning we walked over to the gas station,, used the potties, got the coffee and a donut, after paying I thanked the cashier for not calling the law on us.. He laughed and said they (the Police) had checked on us several times while we were sleeping to make sure we were safe.. He than said that a month or two before that a school bus load of kids heading for Dolly World had camped in that same spot :rotf::rotf:

Talk about southern hospitality!!!

I did Manhatten when my daughter was in Med School (Cornell) over on the east side.. I always said I wanted to go back, leave the bike and take a moped and Moped Manhatten dressed like a bag lady :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

She always yelled at me and said, DAD - you gotta knock off talking to people like ya do back home,, around here the only people that wanna talk to you are crazy,, dont even make eye contact.... I always LOVED NYC but your right,, things can go bad really fast in that jungle..

Here is another really interesting point that a lot of folks probably dont know.. I was camped on the prairie out in South Dakota. Got into a conversation with a cop out there the next morning (this was many years ago) about the "legalness" in doing so.. He told me in South Dakota that you can camp anywhere, side of the road, in the ditch, out on the prairie,, as long as its not fenced and its been mowed.. Apparently South Dakota recognizes their "state land" as land owned by the people of America not the "state" - use to be that way all over.... Man I love the west.... Utah, Montana, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico,, Wyoming,,,,,,, my heart throbs to go back at it......

Ride on brother!!

Puc

To answere a few questions, i do not have a trailer, but I am riding solo, so I do have a passenger seat begging for a large bag.

On another note, cowpuc, you are one crazy old man, i look forward to meeting you up there at the venture west meet.

To answere a few questions, i do not have a trailer, but I am riding solo, so I do have a passenger seat begging for a large bag.

On another note, cowpuc, you are one crazy old man, i look forward to meeting you up there at the venture west meet.

Thanks for the compliment Coffey,,,,, heyyy,, wait a minute here,,, I think he just unsalted me,,, who you calling old?? :stickpoke::backinmyday:

Want some sage advice from one crazy old man? Pay attention here Coffey cause I'm talkin to ya.. After ya cross the 55 year old point it is AMAZING what cha can get away with..:rotf: Its like the percieved threat to society that ya once were just kind of disappears,, its a LOT of fun...:bighug:One of my daughters bought me a copy of "Second Hand Lion" for Fathers Day one year (if you havent seen it, you should), gives it to me with a card that says "story of my Dads life" - Thanks Dad for teaching me to live life fully and to just be me...

Look forward to meeting you too Coffey!!!

I agree,, unless you dont mind people pointing and laughing a lot:rotf:

On the same token though,, if your going off roading on your Venture a trailer can really work against you.. Pretty depends on what you are looking for in your ride experience..:stirthepot:

Cowpuc

How do you keep that thing from becoming a sail or flapping apart in wind. That is one of the most creative packing jobs I have ever seen.

I have a you tube video that Tippy took of me on "Tweeks" (our bike) out on the Bonneville Salt Flats at 124 mph loaded up just like that,, rides great... :worthless:

I know it looks funny (get a lot of people pointing), unstable and wheelie prone (I love riding wheelies anyway but Tippy aint to fond of em) but its really very stable the way I have it set up.. What you see on the back is a little two man tent (I get em from Menards), a piece of 1 inch "egg carton" hospital foam on its floor, two sleeping bags zipped together laid on top of the foam, couple small pillows, 1 fresh change of dry clothing - fold the tent in half and roll it up.. It looks big and heavy but its surprizingly light, probably 25 pounds max..

Been riding cross country for many years and I have found,, for me,, this works AWESOME.. We spend alll day in the saddle,, chase the sun from up to down, pull into a Walmart parking lot at 2 a.m. beat tired from a 1000 mile plus day, stop the bike, unsnap the tent and unfold it and literally be on that Walmart lawn inside of a sleeping bag within 5 minutes of stopping the bike sleeping right next to the bike (cant set up a tent on their lawn - but in cases that we do set up the tent its no more than another 5 minutes even in the dark)..

When I ride alone I take that same tent package, leave my trunk at home and strap the tent on the riders seat to lean against,, that also works great.....

Probably all sounds crazy but welcome to "Cowpuc Logic"....:cool10:

Now that maintenance department (saddlebag on the right),, that sucker there tips the scales at over 60 pounds,,, wheelieing aint the problem bro,, fighting going in circles on loose sand is WAY more my concern :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I can't believe your trunk holds up. A few years back I carried a bike bag that was made to strap on the luggage rack on top of the trunk. I only carried my rain gear in it so I could grab it in a hurry when it started to rain. It was not near 25 pounds, just after a short time I had to replace the trunk because the added weight and wind caught by the bag eventually made the whole bottom of the trunk completely cracked and broke through.

Cowpuc

How do you keep that thing from becoming a sail or flapping apart in wind. That is one of the most creative packing jobs I have ever seen.

Pegasus,, Back in the late 80's while touring on my first 1st Gen (kids named her BG, loving called Beeg - short for Big Girl) I would carry the Sleeping bags rolled up and then placed in their own waterproof bags, the tent in its little bag, a sleeping mat in its own water proof bag and strap the stuff on top of both the trunk and on top of the saddle bags.. My daughter and I caught some HUGE winds while out in Glacier Montana that almost cost us our lives - it hit that hard - that fast.. I had way to much side area and top area that created major wind resistance.. I know it looks goofy but what you see in those pics are what I came up with many years ago, has served us very well, have ridin thru MANY Utah/Colorado Mountain thunder storms (you aint seen winds till you been in those mountain storms) and WE LOVE WYOMING - wind capital of the country too(gonna see if I can find one of my favorite pics that I snapped of Tippy while fighting Wyoming winds)..

The bike is amazingly stable set up like it is,, notice the rolled up tent on the back is within the "streamlining of the bike"... Head on and angle winds are NO problem, Cross winds effect it very little, not much more than riding the bike with two people on it with nothing more than stock bags.. This may also sound crazy but I know for a fact that the "Fixed Fairing" on these old 1st Genners are a big part of the stability of my set up.. I have actually tried doing something simular with a bat wing and the extended rear mounting like I have does NOT work well - mainly cause fighting cross winds out west becomes extremely arm/shoulder fatiguing as the added length seems to have a leverage effect on the wind against the fairing... Continue reading more below,,, if I aint got cha bored to death yet:rotf::rotf:

I can't believe your trunk holds up. A few years back I carried a bike bag that was made to strap on the luggage rack on top of the trunk. I only carried my rain gear in it so I could grab it in a hurry when it started to rain. It was not near 25 pounds, just after a short time I had to replace the trunk because the added weight and wind caught by the bag eventually made the whole bottom of the trunk completely cracked and broke through.

Bob, read above than continue here.. I too completely destroyed the under side of the rear trunk on Beeg by top loading my Trunk.. I had NO idea that the pretty little chrome carrier on top of the trunk on that Royale was just for looks,,,,, I thought it was a touring bike.... Anyway,, as mentioned above, carrying even a couple sleeping bags up there created so much wind induced movement bike it drove me crazy,, or crazyerr.. I made and have used thru 5 1st Gens now, a carrier that sits behind the rear trunk.. The carrier I made has two long arms that I attached to the lower frame arms behind the saddlebags - I used 2x2 aluminum angle for this arms.. I dug around in a bunch of bike rear racks I had, found one that had been on 71 Honda 750 I had chopped that really looked great (application wise).. I attached the rack under the trunk onto the trunk mount and on its end to the 2x2.. I have carried my "tent roll" like this now for about 700k miles of touring (5 bikes) and it works great,, looks goofy but fits my persona :rotf::rotf:..

The bed roll tucks nicely in behind the trunk and, if I aint in to much of hurry gettin up and going (getting chased out of Cemetary at 2 am with skeeters biting your face while the cops are telling ya to hurry up) it sets pretty well in the air flow across the trunk and bags..

When I fold the tent in half and roll it up, I tuck the bottom of the tent along the edges into itself.. I roll so the door of the tent is inside the bundle.. I also fold the floor edges inward,, I end up creating a very waterproof area by using the bottom of the tent on the outside of the package - unless you have been camping in Goat Head country out in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico.. I than use two bungees around the outside diameter of the bed roll and one long one around the length of the tent - very tightely so I can tuck protruding edges under it. I lay the tent on the rack with the seam facing rearward and attach it with regular motorcycle tie downs to the rack.. Next I take a "tour net" (came with Beeg) and drape it over the left side of bed roll (one gallon water jug hangs on the other side on a different little post I made for it).. I tuck wet towels, wash clothes, clothes in there to dry..

An interesting side note.. That tent floor and tent walls make the package amazingly waterproof,, I literally get more water inside the tent from condensation when sleeping it than I have ever gotten from it being on the back of the bike..

Decide on a destination,,,,, and then,,,,,, don't go there!!!!! well at least not yet,,, maybe sometime, but boy, that road looks interesting,, go there!!!

THAT,, that right there,, THAT THERE IS A FACT,,,, the magic of great motorcycling adventures begin with being lost!!

Decide on a destination,,,,, and then,,,,,, don't go there!!!!! well at least not yet,,, maybe sometime, but boy, that road looks interesting,, go there!!!

When I got my first motorcycle 30 some years ago, I would ride everyday after work. I had no destination or route. I would choose a direction, then pick interesting roads, one after another. I never knew where I was going to end up or where I was headed. I saw places in my area I would have never seen otherwise. It was the most satisfying riding I have ever done.

On a side note, I passed on a trip from Chicago to LA back in 1983 due to widespread flooding out west then. Funny thing, I rode in my Sister's car with her family to LA and never saw any flooding. I learned to never pass up a ride like that again. Now that we have a better motorcycle and the kids are grown, I am going to do a long ride. I hope the misses goes with me. She wants to but is afraid she can't sit for that long. Of course, we are not 20-something anymore. :backinmyday:

Hey Bob,, here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubdyZ9VP7qE, ya might get a kick out of this one too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9dMc2d9lMU,, and speaking of old beater bikes,, couple years ago we heard about the "Cannon Ball Run" while out at Sturgis - pre 1930's bikes going from NYC to Frisco.. We beat foot it homeward to find em and ride with em,, Tippy asked why I wanted to do that, I said cause sooner or later one of them ol bikes is gonna break down and there is always a chance I might get to work on one.. IT HAPPENED!!! I actually fixed a 29 JD for a guy!! Check this out..

When I got my first motorcycle 30 some years ago, I would ride everyday after work. I had no destination or route. I would choose a direction, then pick interesting roads, one after another. I never knew where I was going to end up or where I was headed. I saw places in my area I would have never seen otherwise. It was the most satisfying riding I have ever done.

On a side note, I passed on a trip from Chicago to LA back in 1983 due to widespread flooding out west then. Funny thing, I rode in my Sister's car with her family to LA and never saw any flooding. I learned to never pass up a ride like that again. Now that we have a better motorcycle and the kids are grown, I am going to do a long ride. I hope the misses goes with me. She wants to but is afraid she can't sit for that long. Of course, we are not 20-something anymore. :backinmyday:

Hi Money,, WELCOME!!

I love your comment about passing up on the ride cause of conditions,, I have had the scenario happen you mentioned and learned some valuable biking tips from it,, never trust the weather man and if what they say is true, just ride around it,,, who cares if its a few States out of the way:rotf::rotf:

Please tell your wife that "Tippy" (my wife) just started riding serious cross country with me 3 years ago, before that she stayed home and watched 3 kids while I drove off and took a 4th one touring for a month during the summer.. Kids are growed and gone now so its her turn.. Tell her that Tippy said the best way to find out is start with short rides and work your way up..

Get her on something comfy Money, take lots of breaks along the trail,, ride for the enjoyment of just being together while doing the funnest thing known to man - chasing your shadow on a motorcycle!!

Best wishes!

Puc

Back in the 90's when I was still in the AF, my brother called me out of the blue. Had not heard from him in like 3-4yr. He says "you gonna be home in a couple weeks?" I said yea I'm not going any place. He tells me him and a couple buddies were riding out that way and he "might" slip by. :rotf: You kind of had to know him he was probably 50 at that time. Anyways he had picked up like a 650 Yamaha twin with a windshield and luggage rack. him and his buddies had got layed off for a couple months from automotive related industry. So he hit the road. Several days later he calls and says "hey were in XYZ and be in around dinner time" Sure enough here they come. It was cool he just packed a few days clothes and said off we go.

I know this isn't the type of answer you are looking for and, I don't know your age

but the longest trip begins with the first step .

I rode bikes since I can remember and my number one dream was to ride xcross country or better yet I was going to ride the three Americas even had the bike but war in central America in the early eighties stopped me ........... then time, money, jobs, children etc etc

finally after 30 years, I was going to go from coast to coast hitting at least part of route 66 this was the year!!! had the right bike and some time to spare don't have a lot of money but I don't need much ................

couple of months ago fell off my house roof and now 30 miles seems to be 1500 miles I have faith but I'm full of doubts as well and I don't know if I going to be 100% again, I'm 52 and not in the best shape so time is my worse enemy ........ I guess like one of our members says I can be use as a bad example lol

get some ridding and protective gear some basic tools (if you know how to use them) a credit card and a good towing service

(AAA motorcycle you can get 100 miles free towing I think)

this is a great country where there are good roads great service and great people everywhere.

the perfect time or the perfect equipment will never come.

just do it.

There was a couple of times Becky and I would spin a bottle to see which direction we would ride for the day...

I am 30 now, just barely broken in like my bike. So i still have the advantage of being young and adventurous without the painfully dumb part of youth.

30 y/o it is a great age!!!! but wait a minute!!!! I was 30 yesterday!!! wake up today and I'm 52 and mirrors aren't my friends anymore lol

best wishes man and remember

“The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude.”

“The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude.”

WOW - do I like that!!! That is sooo perfectly put Crazy...:thumbsup:

Craze, would you mind if I stole that line for my signature area here on VR?? I will gladly put your name on the end of the quote so as not to be declared a plagerizer.... I LOVE that line,, it is sooooooo true!!

Puc

Hey Don,, I go to add that into my signature with the rightful owners name attached,, the sites filter wouldnt let me put his name as stated... Had to change it a little but got it done!!

Thanks for the input!!

Puc

I'm 34 . 4 kids. Oldest is driving and youngest is able to microwave food.

My wife abd I are just beginning our motorcycle adventures. I have logged in 8 years experience on 7 bikes.

Yesterday was my first long solo ride. 280 miles. I don't know if I can do 400 plus mile days.

Just about 8hrs and I was glad I arrived home. I plan to take the wife on that ride, let's see if she can handle it

I've been reading many of the posts here on the subject of touring. I once took a 10 day mc camping tour of Banff and Jasper Parks in Canada with my woman on a first gen VR. We packed all our gear-for-two into the hard bags/trunk and tent gear on the cargo rack. Worked out that we did laundry every 3-4 days, stopping once for an overnight motel stay to dry our wet tent from a late summer rain torrent. If two of us could travel easily this way within the confines of the bike, you can too.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

There was a couple of times Becky and I would spin a bottle to see which direction we would ride for the day...

Tippy and I flip a coin for the same purpose on a regular basis Bongo,,, that spinning of the bottle has other adventure connotations not nessecarily fit for VR.. :stickinouttounge:

I average 300 to 350 a day while traveling' date=' all back roads, no highways or tolls:thumbsup2:[/quote']

I guess I may have been able to do more, if I had a destination. I already did 280 with no place in mind. Just got on a nd rode.still a little chilly later in the day abd early in the morning.

Definitely will be trying the beads abd sheep skin.as I think part of the discomfort was a sweaty rear end. Gong out to purchase sheep skin this weekend