IGNORED

spark plug changes?

painterman67

I got a 2006 RSV & 16,000 miles on her, Still got same plugs in her! am going in for check up in Oct. 16,000 check up. it calls fot new plugs. If it running good i run it. Got a buddy thats got a 2007 RSV he went in for 8,000 miles check. they put new plugs in. So my bike is still running good with old plugs.

I hate to disagree with an earlier contributor to this thread and my apologies if I sound too contrary. I have a couple of motorcycles, a ski-doo and a 4 wheeler. I have put iridium plugs in all for which I could get a match. I have them in both my Venture and a '76 Triumph Bonneville. On both, the performance is quite noticeable. As for plug rotation, the Iridiums seem to last forever. The Triumph was hard on plugs and I didn't get a long service life (I suspect that oil was prematurely fowling them). I am still on the original Iridiums I installed. In short, I would liken Iridium plugs to platinum plugs on steroids. I recommend them to everyone. Yes, they are more expensive but as the old saying goes, "Ya get what ya pay for."

I hate to disagree with an earlier contributor to this thread and my apologies if I sound too contrary. I have a couple of motorcycles, a ski-doo and a 4 wheeler. I have put iridium plugs in all for which I could get a match. I have them in both my Venture and a '76 Triumph Bonneville. On both, the performance is quite noticeable. As for plug rotation, the Iridiums seem to last forever. The Triumph was hard on plugs and I didn't get a long service life (I suspect that oil was prematurely fowling them). I am still on the original Iridiums I installed. In short, I would liken Iridium plugs to platinum plugs on steroids. I recommend them to everyone. Yes, they are more expensive but as the old saying goes, "Ya get what ya pay for."

I think you'll find that your among a minority here, I have used Irridium plugs in one of my 1st gens and I gained nothing from them. There was no great fuel mileage increase or power that the bike didn't already have. It's good to hear that you believe it gave yours a boost, but many of us have not had the same result as you.....98 cents less than a buck

:2cents:

I think you'll find that your among a minority here, I have used Irridium plugs in one of my 1st gens and I gained nothing from them. There was no great fuel mileage increase or power that the bike didn't already have. It's good to hear that you believe it gave yours a boost, but many of us have not had the same result as you.....98 cents less than a buck

:2cents:

Well on this one I'm with "Thirdbike" not because he has a cool website name it is because my:

YAMAHA 1994 70 HP Outboard

YAMAHA 2002 9.9 HP Kicker Outboard

YAMAHA 2006 Rhino 660

ALL OF THEM now have the NGK-Iridium because they ALL Start Easier, need little or no Choke and can get them to perform quicker instead of the 2 to 5 to 10 minute warm up times based upon temperature. THIS SPARKPLUG ROCKS and is IMO well worth the $.

Since my 2008 RSV has less than 100 miles on it I will not be replacing the stock plug until the Owner Manual dictates and bet your sweet @ss I will be trying the NGK-Iridium.

Like Squidley said and I can confirm you WILL NOT GET More HP or MPG's so don't expect more HP or MPG just better PERFORMANCE during Start Up and Warm Up.

Edited by frogmaster

I use Iridiums and can notice a difference too... I'm with you Thirdbike..

Here's what I think about Iridiums..

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/page_img/iridiumix_banner.jpg

Iridium IX®

The Spark Plug Serious Enthusiasts Rely On

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/page_img/irix_motorcycle.jpg

Iridium IX Spark Plugs are the most technologically advanced high performance plugs available. Featuring a 0.6 mm iridium center electrode tip, they offer superior ignitability without sacrificing durability. The tapered ground electrode increases flame kernel expansion, while the superior heat range design is ideally suited to the demands of high performance environments. Specially designed to meet the needs of serious enthusiasts, Iridium IX Spark Plugs offer outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and long life. When you demand the most from your engine, rely on the proven performance of NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs.

NGK's new Iridium IX is the personification of these qualities and takes premium performance spark plugs to a new level. A level that is expected from the world leader in spark plugs.

The future has never looked so good.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/IridiumIXwithLeaderLines.jpg

I started out checking the plugs and replacing them at the recommended times but they looked brand new so I have been stretching it out. My bike has 66000 miles on it and the current plugs have about 20000 miles on them. It runs great and is getting some of the best mileage it has ever gotten.

I just replaced my original plugs at 11,000 miles ('07 RSV). When I took out the original plugs, i was happy to see that they looked great. But, I have to say that the bike starts easier now with the new ones in place...needs less (or no) choke to start it cold.

I change my plugs around 8,000 miles, and can feel the change every time. The plugs, when changed, look fine, but it is really hard to see any break down in them, unless of course they are fouled, or burned. I read of some not changing for 50,000 miles because the bike still runs, but really, how much is a plug? Try to change them at the recommended interval, I think you will feel a improvement in the way the motor runs.

I bought a set of NGK's after I bought my '87 4 years ago. The PO said he had them changed a few months earlier, so I put them in the tool box for later. Well, this August, I was prepping the Venture for a run to Montana, and said "Today's the day." Over 40,000 miles, the old NGK plugs looked good, gap was right, not sure why I changed them. Didn't seem to change anything in the way it runs. This winter, new wires & caps? Maybe. Tomorrow's the day...

8K miles is too early for me to replace a spark plug. But if that is what the MOM recommend on the Venture, then it really has to be done at the correct interval. I am sure that after 10K to 15K the spark plugs are still fine. For a peace of mind, I would replace the plugs.

I just replaced my original plugs at 11,000 miles ('07 RSV). When I took out the original plugs, i was happy to see that they looked great. But, I have to say that the bike starts easier now with the new ones in place...needs less (or no) choke to start it cold.

I know Spark Plugs 1 and 3 are easy to get to (closest to the seat), but how do you easily get to plugs 2 and 4 (front-left and right)? Did you remove the tank?:icon_smile_question