IGNORED

Who Makes do it yourself Trike Kits??

Reaney in NH

As far as do-it-yourself I think you named them all.

(Get in touch with Carbon-One) great guy and

he knows a lot about Tri-Wings!

The rest must be done by an authorized dealer.

I could be wrong those. the tri-wing was my thinking

for a long time though.

good luck on what you decide and keep us informed.

Jeff

My Research is coming up with the same info... Thank you

As far as do-it-yourself I think you named them all.

(Get in touch with Carbon-One) great guy and

he knows a lot about Tri-Wings!

The rest must be done by an authorized dealer.

I could be wrong those. the tri-wing was my thinking

for a long time though.

good luck on what you decide and keep us informed.

Jeff

I would say if you can use hand tools you shouldn't have a problem.The only thing that needs welding is the drive shaft.The wiring is straight forward.You will need to have it painted unless you are a painter.I will try and post some pics. on assmbly.Hope this helps.Jerry M.

I looked at Triwing's web site and it would appear that a unit will cost $6,500 (2008) price. This does not include the wheels, tires, and painting. So, I would say that we are probably in the neighorhood of $7,500-$8,000 to convert. My 89 has 37,000 miles on it. Looking at ads my 89 is worth somewhere in the $3,500 to $4,000 range. It is very clean and runs great. This would make the total investment at around $12,000. Is it worth it for a 89?

OK guys I'm back. :) Been off line for the last week.

Yep as stated above that's about the limit on options unless you truly do a one of a kind unit on your own.

As to whether any bike is worth the costs or effort only the owner can make that decision. I think it mostly depends on how much riding one will do as well as their fininacial situation.

Also on doing one yourself it does give you some personal satisfaction but if you think you'd be better off with a finished bike there can be some pretty decent trikes for sale if your patient.

Just some rambling thoughts here .

Larry

I'm interested in converting my RSV to a trike. Who makes Kits that I can install at home? Beside Triwing and Voyager?

Any input on things is appreciated.

Reaney..I looked for over a year for the same thing....Everyone here is quite right....Tri-Wing and Voyager is all there is at this time...I talked to C S C and MotorTrike and they both told me (maybe) next year.....but as i told CSC (maybe) doesn't help us now....:crackup:..On the Tri-Wing I've learned there is a little custom fitment to be done on the upper opening and trunk lid...Good Luck with yours...Carl

I took the plunge today and ordered the Triwing DX Sportster,it will be my winter project delivery will be first week of january,I will probably need lots of help from all you guys that have th Triwing Kit

Once you get the kit ordered drop me a line and I'll send out some pics of my build as well as tips to ease the construction.

I'll be taking my body off this winter and redoing a few things to make mine better as well.

Larry

Reaney..I looked for over a year for the same thing....Everyone here is quite right....Tri-Wing and Voyager is all there is at this time...I talked to C S C and MotorTrike and they both told me (maybe) next year.....but as i told CSC (maybe) doesn't help us now....:crackup:..On the Tri-Wing I've learned there is a little custom fitment to be done on the upper opening and trunk lid...Good Luck with yours...Carl

Thanks for the info. I will prolly convert my bike.. however, I won't be doing it for at least a year or 2.

In the mean time, I'm going to look for a wrecked trike... Maybe save some cash.

Thank you

Reaney,

Last year I bought a Voyager "Trike" kit. Like you, I searched/shopped for quite a while. I decided on the Voyager because of the larger wheels, and dual, adjustable suspension (both vertical shocks and leaf springs). I bought it used from a guy in NJ who still had it in the crate. He never even put it on his bike. Not sure why. Anyway, I only paid $2,000 for it ($4,100 new), and I had to buy a mounting kit from Voyager, because the original owner bought it for his Harley Road King. The frames are interchangeable for those two bikes, but not the mounting kits. The kit cost me another $530, which included shipping. Now, I am not a mechanic, but the instructions were very detailed, and easy to understand. They include ALOT of pictures, and come in a very sturdy binder. A friend who is also not a mechanic and I were able to fully assemble the Voyager, put the mounting kit on my 2000 RSV, and align it all, in less than four hours. The local Voyager dealer told me it takes him approximately 5 hours. No special tools were required, all done with typical hand tools.

I have a severely disabled ten year old son who loves to ride on our RSV. However, he has no lower body control, so a couple of times, while riding he almost slid off the back seat. Now, with the Voyager on, I use a harness to secure him to the bike. And because of the outrigger system, as long as I am careful, I don't have to worry about the bike going over with the two of us on it. He LOVES it! A local metal shop helped me rig up a cargo carrier onto the ball hitch so we can take his folding wheel chair with us. As an added bonus, I can now ride in less than perfect weather, and again, as long as I'm careful, the chance of going over is greatly reduced. I've even used the bike when there was a few inches of snow on the roadway for winter-time Patriot Guard rides. Finally, the ultimate benefit. When my son is not with me, and the weather is good, it takes me literally, 2 minutes to remove the outrigger frame. Then I get to ride it like a motorcycle, not a "trike." Hope all this helps, Don from PA

Reaney,

Last year I bought a Voyager "Trike" kit. Like you, I searched/shopped for quite a while. I decided on the Voyager because of the larger wheels, and dual, adjustable suspension (both vertical shocks and leaf springs). I bought it used from a guy in NJ who still had it in the crate. He never even put it on his bike. Not sure why. Anyway, I only paid $2,000 for it ($4,100 new), and I had to buy a mounting kit from Voyager, because the original owner bought it for his Harley Road King. The frames are interchangeable for those two bikes, but not the mounting kits. The kit cost me another $530, which included shipping. Now, I am not a mechanic, but the instructions were very detailed, and easy to understand. They include ALOT of pictures, and come in a very sturdy binder. A friend who is also not a mechanic and I were able to fully assemble the Voyager, put the mounting kit on my 2000 RSV, and align it all, in less than four hours. The local Voyager dealer told me it takes him approximately 5 hours. No special tools were required, all done with typical hand tools.

I have a severely disabled ten year old son who loves to ride on our RSV. However, he has no lower body control, so a couple of times, while riding he almost slid off the back seat. Now, with the Voyager on, I use a harness to secure him to the bike. And because of the outrigger system, as long as I am careful, I don't have to worry about the bike going over with the two of us on it. He LOVES it! A local metal shop helped me rig up a cargo carrier onto the ball hitch so we can take his folding wheel chair with us. As an added bonus, I can now ride in less than perfect weather, and again, as long as I'm careful, the chance of going over is greatly reduced. I've even used the bike when there was a few inches of snow on the roadway for winter-time Patriot Guard rides. Finally, the ultimate benefit. When my son is not with me, and the weather is good, it takes me literally, 2 minutes to remove the outrigger frame. Then I get to ride it like a motorcycle, not a "trike." Hope all this helps, Don from PA

I have seen the Voyager kits and I think they are great if you are looking for a removable conversion kit. For your application it sounds perfect.

Personally I don't care for the way they look. If I go to a Trike... I want the real deal.

Thank you for your input.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I have been talking to Triwing with a view to ordering a sportster kit for my '02 Midnight Venture. They say it is strictky a bolt-on kit. So whats with the comment on welding the drive shaft? I'd like to know before I order.

Tri-winged mine too, you being in NH. if you want we could meet up sometime near Keene some weekend and u could look mine over before hand. I go up there for smokes once a month, if you're good with tools go for it. Doing the shaft reqiures a good machine shop to cut down and turn down the shaft, then a welder to weld the harden shaft and univerasal joint together. Pm me if u want to meet up, took me 10 days working mostly alone start to finish, will need a extra set of hands at times, but very doable.

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

I have been talking to Triwing with a view to ordering a sportster kit for my '02 Midnight Venture. They say it is strictky a bolt-on kit. So whats with the comment on welding the drive shaft? I'd like to know before I order.

Bought the kit, installed it with some custom touches and simply love it. Bought another kit for wifes bike too (1st Gen).