IGNORED

Finally!

IronMike

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/Venture%202008/20140820_003515_zpsqmsn9hiz.jpg

BF Goodrich Radial TA Wal Mart tire. Everywhere I shopped asked why I only needed one front tire for my Dragster. LOL

BTW I put a Michelin Commander 2 Rear 130 90 on the FRONT!

I was all set to do this last fall, until I bought leftovers from a Trike conversion that had me looking at a Almost new Avon on the spare Rim I got, it was VERY VERY VERy painful to run that tire out! Hindsight I should have left it rot on the rim. I almost sold the bike for the poor handling and traction it had.

Ive ridden the Darkside on my Roadstar for about 60K miles so thats not new to me. But, this IS the FIRST time I have had two rims. So I had the old Avon and the new Radial TA on rims at the same time, so I decided to weigh them and see what the difference was. Worn Avon, 43 Lbs, New Radial TA 45. I was surprised. On my Roadstar the CT is much heavier than the Bike tire. Slips my mind but about 15LBS. I was happy this tire was so close!

The CT is slightly smaller diameter overall. For some reason this really helps the ride and handling. Like a LOT!

Running 35 and 35 PSI right now. Had it up to 100 for testing. good to go there for now. Balanced by Dynabeads. 3 ozs in both.

I can't believe the ride! I did same 100 mile loop and it really tamed the pot holes, bumps and RR tracks! Like a Caddy! It was a Joy to ride I could hardly stop!

I was thinking for a while that i would not like the CT on the venture, BOY was I WRONG!

I've only had two tires on the venture, both show some odd wear making me think alignment. But I have no Idea how to align this bike. The Roadstar is pretty easy. It's something I need the info on though to me sure. I don't want any odd wear going on with this set up!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/Venture%202008/20140820_003412_zpsaofb6djd.jpg

Only thing better than a Darkside Bike in the shop is TWO Darkside Bikes in the shop! Whooooooooooooooooo! Happy Dance! :cool10:

I have heard a lot of people going darkside on the Strat. Lots of tires to choose from the darkside tire database.

I got into it when I was laid off and was putting 20K a year on the bike. I was touring the US and wearing tires out too fast. BINGO!

Now a bike tire is dangerous to me. The traction a CT provides is like adding ABS and traction control.

I went to the darkside this spring..over12k so far, makes the bike a much better riding, and stopping bike..

all together I have done about 60k on the darkside with my voyager, and I will not ride a heavy weight cruiser with an MC tire.. I even pulled a fairly new tire off the venture because I hated the ride, and the ease to slide the back tire in emergency braking..

I know the sliding back tire thing. I had the RS on the dark side and hopped on the RSV and had a deal where everyone was going through the yellow light, then they decided not to since a COP was there, I slid about 30 feet and found a hole between two cars. The Bike tire actually made it speed up on the 911 stop. Same stop on a CT not even a peep.

I should have done like you, just went ahead darkside on this bike. Pawned the Avon off on someone else.

The BF Goodrich Radial TA is the best tire I've had on the Venture. The one I just replaced was down just past the wear bars when we left for the run to Nevada and Arizona. We made it there and back with no problems. The tire looked the same as when we left.

Good info Wizard, nice to know.

I have only worn out 3 car tires, and my experience has been I change it out at about 4 32nds just because it starts to not ride as nice. But this feature gives me plenty of planning time. And this is another key advantage of Darkside, you can always make one more trip without the worry of changing on the road.

Its raining here and my Darkside tire is calling me! LOL

The BF Goodrich Radial TA is the best tire I've had on the Venture. The one I just replaced was down just past the wear bars when we left for the run to Nevada and Arizona. We made it there and back with no problems. The tire looked the same as when we left.

How many miles did you put on the tire you just replaced? Was any of thoses mile in twisty mountain roads? If so... how did it feel? It is the handling on windy mountain roads that has me most concerned with the CT change. Since I pull a heavy tent camper... the CT may be a good idea. Thanks.

I don't know how many miles on the old tire. This time it lasted 2 years. Easily double any motorcycle tire I had on the bike. I'm 2-up on the Venture and got used to the tire in the twisties. I really don't think you'll have any problems with the tire pulling a trailer, but no experience. I feel more confident on the car tire, higher load rating, no cracks, easy to plug. Its just a better built tire than any motorcycle tire. Once the tire is broke in I'll lower the pressure to 28 lbs. The 1st 500 or so miles will feel like the tire is squiring around, but lowering the pressure helps when on the grooved highways.

IMHO the tire will with certainty outperform a bike tire under all conditions except above 90 MPH. It will certainly be more planted and sure footed while pulling a trailer. I also pull a 400+ LB Camper and a HF Tag along. There is a LOT more contact patch on the road at all times with a CT so it will really help stopping while turning and in windy conditions.

The combo I have works perfectly. The ONLY thing you MIGHT have to watch depending on the tire height, (Mine was slightly less than the Bike tire I took off) if you go too high and your trailer hitch draw bar sticks through the front or forward side towards the tire, you would have to trim it. Like I say, THIS tire give more room not less.

Took me a year or even more of studying the Darkside forums to decide, I seriously regret not doing it sooner. It is a subject to study up on though. You don't just do it.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

this guy has a gazillion miles Darkside, wrote several books all about his Darkside travels. Read what he has to say.

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

and of course watch some you tube that SHOWS you how it works.

It does not make any sense, but after 31K miles on my Comtrac I took it off and it still had the little nipples on the edges. Only the tread stays on the ground you do not get up on the edge of a CT.

Study up. Get a Darkside number!

• 1 month later...

Well I just put on a BF Goodrich Radial TA on this weekendand must say I'm pleasantly surprised! Smoother ride, very controlled, even in all the cornering I threw at it.

My only complaint came on the install. 115 lbs to seal the beads! And that was with a lot of lube, setting in the sun. That alone, I'll not recommend that particular tire. Hell of a job just to get it on. I wouldn't dare try putting it on with spoons. I was getting bummed it wasn't seating, but after it set awhile with that pressure in, finally pop, pop.

Almost 13K miles on the E3 I took off (it was DONE) with Ride-On in it. Ride-On was ONLY in the bottom of the tire, 2.5" to 3" wide area. No where else.

Couple more things, seeing as the tire is a little smaller tire diameter, I'd recommend having the 1" leveling links put on as I have. Stock links it would feel like it's setting on the ground!

Also, my speed reads way higher than actual now too. Going to check it with GPS soon. May end up putting stock shaft drive back in instead of the VMAX one.

Lots of pick-up and go though!

the high pressure to seat the bead is common, as the 3 I have ran, first one I almost gave up on then used rachet strap @ 90, second i got to seat @45 with some very slickery lube, the last one a local shop did it for me and was over 100 psi. love the way they handle, nexen, classic and kuhmo are what i have ran, will try goodrich next summer.

• 2 weeks later...
I never thought I'd say this, but.... I've been thinking about a car tire on the '04 with the Voyager Kit when the Avon wears out. I've read in quite a few places where the Voyager eats rear tires....

I can see a ct with the voyager kit.I had a sidecar on my 99 and was eating up a mc tire every 2500 miles.I put a ct on and the tire had 22,000 miles on it when I sold the bike and it still had plenty of tread left on it.I don't have any pix but I rode it to Vogel in 2011 with the sidecar and pulling a trailer.Talk about getting some looks on the road with that rig.

• 1 month later...