IGNORED

Burnt voltage regulator

Hi Guys,

I am asking help for a 2002 RSV Midnight. The problem happened like this. The bike was running very well when there was a fluctuation of the headlight strength. The Voltage regulator was replaced with a new voltage regulator and the problem disappeared and the bike was all good. After a few months of riding the new regulator caught fire burned and also burned the plug on the wiring harness. The harness was repaired (new plug spliced into the harness), 2nd new voltage regulator installed and compete check of charging system completed. All tests were in acceptable ranges. After almost a complete riding season the voltage regulator once again blew the main 30A fuse and melted (this time without burining the wiring harness). (The fuse blew first and the regulator was checked and was found to be warn). A new fuse was put into the fuse holder with the ignition OFF. The fuse blew again and the regulator then melted. I am at a loss. Could this be caused by a bad ignition switch. I do not want to just install another regulator and get stuck (again) on the road. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.