IGNORED

AIS Bypass on 2009 venture

I see no advantage to removing the AIS. Unlike some of the old air pumps on automobiles it takes zero power to operate. It does in fact reduce emissions with no adverse affect on the bike. The added weight is insignificant. So if you can help the atmosphere, required or not, at no cost to you why not do it. If you are getting excessive popping in the exhaust something else is wrong or the AIS is broken. An overly rich fuel mixture or exhaust leak are likely culprits.

The AIS is simply a siphon that siphons air into the exhaust. The engines exhaust is already hot and has unburned fuel in it. Given a little oxygen this wasted fuel HC & CO will burn in the exhaust pipe rather than pollute our atmosphere. The AIS valve is a simple vacuum operated valve that controls the amount and timing of the air entering the exhaust. It shuts the airflow off during deceleration, high vacuum. It also prevents exhaust from pushing back up into the air filter.

Mike

On my 05 I would get some popping on deceleration sometimes. After resetting the floats and bumping the pilot jets up one size it no longer did any popping. I also had better cold weather starting with less choke. Plug readings after the change still left a nice brown tan coloring on the spark plugs. I was using K&N filters as well so that may have influenced stuff too.

Larry