IGNORED

Gas leak? Help!

DNBoll

Greetings all! I need some expert advise. Two days ago Mama & I dropped the 07 RSV (first time) No one was hurt & nothing was damaged. I didn't realize that they only went over so far. I'd guess about 45 degrees before the crash bars save the day. Anyway a passer by helped me get her back on the kickstand. She sure is heavy! Some gas leaked out while she was on her side. I believe it came from the hose connected to the carbs. I started her up and we rode home with no apparent problems.

Yesterday I went out to ride, started her up and let her run for a minute. Gas started leaking out below the radiator and inside the left cowling below the air cleaner. Seems to be coming from the hose from the carbs. It only leaked when the RSV was running. I was able to get it to my dealer. He just called me and said that nothing was loose. They blew out something connected with the carbs &/or floats and said it no longer leaks. They said it was probably bad gas and that I need a carb cleaning which runs about $350.00 for the RSV. I have about 7,300 miles on her now. I bought her used with about 5,800 miles on her. Is this normal for this bike? Is there something I can do before I commit to the carb cleaning ? I'm planning an 800 mile trip soon & I don't want any problems. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, DNB

There are overflow hoses that go up and dump by the air cleaner. If you're floats are stuck open it will leak there as well.

One thing you might try is using Seafoam (available at autoparts stores). Run the gas down to a couple gallons, dump the can in, let it run to get the seafoam gas into the carbs, let it sit over night, fill up the next morning. Should clean them out pretty well.

Pour half a can in every few months or so after that.

The previous comments are right on the mark. Although this is not unheard of, it isn't particularly common, either. I wouldn't pay a dealer $350 to clean the carbs! Just run some SeaFoam through it and enjoy the ride. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Give the Carbs Bowls a slight Hit with the Grip of a Screwdriver. There's a Float Valve stuck, probably due to the big Angle you have had her. Should be gone by then.

A complete Carb Cleaning is always a good Idea, but not necessary on a '07 Bike,

Thanks you all for the good advice. The dealer cleaned the bowls (he said), charged me 47 bucks & I was on my way. Dumped in a can of SeaFoam & took her around the block. She seemed to run realllllly goooood! Thanks again, DNB