IGNORED

What I learned and things I need

archeryguy

I took off on my RSTD to the Smoky Mountains for a week of riding. This was the first extended (multi day) trip for the RSTD. I quickly discovered a few things I need to upgrade/change on the bike, such as:

Seat - my seat is too small (or my butt is too big). My seat is not long enough front to back. It became VERY uncomfortable after 250+ miles but after 600+ miles in a single day. I began to wonder if I would ever be able to sit again. At 600+ miles even the seat beads were non-effective. Thus far my search for a larger (longer) seat has been unproductive. I can find wider seats but not longer ones. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Lighting - I need more lighting on the rear of the bike!! In the mountains with early morning fog (thick as pea soup), on a couple of occasions the folks behind me could not see me until they were just feet away. I'm thinking a set of Hyperlites may adequately address this issue.

Rider awareness - When riding the "Dragon" double yellow lines and curvers don't matter to some, so be prepared to be passed on the left and RIGHT by other bikers. Obviously the group I was with were not sport bike riders but we were not poking along either. Some guy blows by us passing on the left and right. Glad he was fast because if I could have got my hands on him, well I'd be in the pokey writing this.

Preparation - In six days of riding we encounted heavy rains on three of the days. It goes without saying good rain gear is a must! We found chartreuse colored gear was noticably more visible than any other color.

I had teh same problem with the seat and I decided to try and change my sitting position before I swap out the seat. On mine. i noticed when i sit closerr to the tank , the soreness doesnt become apparent so early.

I have been trying to find a longer harley seat as well and fitting it to my bike,

How is your seating position. do you find that you are sitting on the seat hump instead of the dip?

I had teh same problem with the seat and I decided to try and change my sitting position before I swap out the seat. On mine. i noticed when i sit closerr to the tank , the soreness doesnt become apparent so early.

I have been trying to find a longer harley seat as well and fitting it to my bike,

How is your seating position. do you find that you are sitting on the seat hump instead of the dip?

Yes, I do find I'm sitting on the hump instead of the dip. I have tried to "hug" the tank a little more but that has not worked for me.

I had the same problem on an 05 VStar 1100. I could ride about 200 miles before the pain was too much to handle. I bought a Mustang seat and found that I could easily ride a 600 mile day with very little discomfort. Not sure why the Mustang was so good, but it was an awesome purchase.

I have taken the seat cover off and shaved a bit of the hump with a sawzall. That help some as well. Soon I will be redoing it as well as adding ne foam so more saving will be getting done.

When i did mine I shaved the fiberglass seat pan and allowed the foam to just lay oner. keeping the original shape until i sit on it .

Hugging the tank is what helpped me a bit.

Definately try the Ultimate Seat. My brother gave me his when he bought a new HD and the difference was night and day. Just came back from a week+ in the Tenn/NC mountains and the seat was great....No monkey butt...

I dont have the RSTD but I do have some upgrade ideas for ya.

Rear Light going with Custom Dynamics LED board for the main light WAY brighter and you could also go with RUN?TURN?Brake for the turn signals also.

As for the seat I have met and talked with the owner of ultimate seats and he is a really nice guy. My father has one of his seats on his wing and loves it. Of course they dont make one for the venture so i have a corbin and love it. Everyone I know that has an ultimate loves them.

Good luck and yes watch out on the dragon. I was there this past saturday in the ran and guys still wanted to take it like a race track.

Ride Safe

Robert "TheKid"