IGNORED

Would You Purchase this 86 VR for $500.

GolfVenture

I have the opportunity to purchase this 86 VR for $500. It was side swiped by a cager at an interection. The rider luckly did not receive any injuries and the bike did not go down. The front left fairing got hit and also took out the left side bag. He rode it that way for a while until he rode over something on the way to work. When his work day was done he found a large puddle of oil under the oil pan. So he figured what ever he rode over cracked the oil pan. It does not have rear fender and the crome below the left side bages. It is a VR and he said that the Cassette(probably works), Radio, CB, CASE, Electronic Cruise Control all work good. The Cruise Control does loose some and so he had to use the throttle to bring it backup to speed. He said that it ran great up to the day of the oil incident. It has about 85K miles. I have parts that I could use immediately, trailer hitch, passenger arm rest. Otherwise I think it would make a good parts VR for my 89. Oh the color is definately does not match mine. I recently purchased my 89 VR in June and so I'm just a rookie with the VR. I am willing and capabile of fixing things. Of course I will need my wife's support on this purchase. I was thinking that I could use the parts I mentioned then possible pick up the other parts and list it on Craigs list this spring and get my investment back. Maybe everyone could give an estimate of the value of the VR with all the issues repaired. Your thoughs would be appreciated. I will attach as many pictures as I can.

Key here is wether or not the main frame is still straight. Near as I can tell the damage looks similar to what mine was after my accident By the time I was done I spent $2200.00 rebiulding it. That was just the cost of material, including paint supplies, plus I replaced both tires purchased a used diff, rebuilt and installed it and put new brakes on it. The labour was my own time so if you have to pay labour you can add that to it.

Edited by saddlebum

Hey Brian,

Here is basically the deal here, for the $2500 to $3000 (cost to purchase plus parts) you are going to put into this bike to get it back to where it was before the crash, you could buy a pretty nice, fully functional MKII VR ready to ride for the same price. NOW, if you are looking for a "project bike" and believe me, this will be a PROJECT, you have found the right bike. I would try to low ball the owner if possible. The fact is, the front fairing halves are no longer being produced by Yamaha, so that means that you either totally "luck out" and find the front fairing and side bag from the same model year and color as this bike, used, or you buy a different year and repaint the entire bike. Or, option 3 is drive the bike with different color parts on it. Now, if you want to part this bike out, there is most likely $1500 to $2000 worth of parts on the bike. The pics weren't all that great but usually you can count on about that much from a VR that has had the front fairing "popped" on the one side. There is a fair amount of work to disassemble one of these bikes and there will be a bunch of parts that you will have trouble getting rid of, short of giving them away.

When taken apart, this bike will cover a 10' X 10' area pretty quick.

If I was going to "fix" this bike, I wouldn't pay $500.00 for it, but if it was a parts bike I would. I have an 86'VR and 89'VR here at the shop right now that started out looking as good or better than this bike, I have sold MANY parts off of them, and use other parts to make repairs to bikes that I work on. I have also given away a BUNCH of parts off of these bikes. Good luck with this project, which ever way you decide to go,:thumbsup2:

Earl

P.S. I took another CLOSER look at the pics that show the signal light and those vertical scratches on the left side fairing were put there by this bike being PUSHED ACROSS THE PAVEMENT on it's side! Unless of course the car that "side swiped" this bike hit the bike, then went VERTICAL! So either the owner is BSing you about the fact that it went down OR those scratches should be running HORAZONTAL! You NEED to be the judge of that!

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
TOOK ANOTHER LOOK AT THE PICS!

I have a spare oil pan (actually 2 of them) if you decide to go for it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. By looks of the damage I sort of doubt any frame damage, especially if the guy kept on driving it as is with no problem. Maybe replace the forks and triple tree to be safe (I have a spare triple tree too for shipping) but if it drives OK there is probably nothing wrong. From looking at the cosmetic damage all it seems to be is broken plasticon the side of the fairing mostly. You may need to replace the front fairing frame or at least straighten it a little. Yes, I have a spare one of those too...

As pointed out, you have waaaay more than $500 in parts!!

PS a possibility to Earl's observation is that it got hit on the saddlebag and went over causing the vertical scratches as it spun on the ground...

Edited by bongobobny

The big question marks are what happened to the engine, and did he run it after the 'big puddle of oil' was found?? And if he states that he didn't, will he guarantee it?? BTW how many miles on that motor? The front plastics can be either fixed or replaced. It might be a while until you locate something on Ebay. Pickin's have been pretty slim lately. Personally I don't think it's worth the $500 with what it needs and in it's condition, and you're going to bring it back to riding condition. If you plan on parting it out you will make a few bucks, but it'll be a lot of work... instead of play.... to mess with. And after the plastic has been sold you're going to end up with a pile of slow moving stuff. Offer him $200 bucks or walk....

Now that I've sleeped on it, I've decided to let this one go. I appreciate all your insites of experience and wisdom. I'll keep looking for that right parts bike and preferably one that is the same color as my 89 VR. My VR seems to be in really good condition and so I The other person who were in front of me probably came to the similar decision. I was wondering why the seller told me that he committed to the 1st person to hold it till Jan, then called my and told me that he had too many interested in the bike and so gave me the opportunitity. I see that the seller has not put it back on Craigs List so if anyone is interested I can give you his name and number, otherwise I expect to see it relisted in Seattle's Craigs List.

Thank You all again for all your help.

Happy New Year to All!

Brian