IGNORED

Cleaning varnish off of engine covers?

Ga Dawg

does anyone know of a easy way to get that varnish/clearcoat off of these aluminum engine covers? Mine is half off and not consistant. I have tried mineral spirits to no avail . When i get them cleaned and polished is there some material that can go back on them to keep them sharp? Please advise.

thanks!

scott

I did mine 2 years ago... I think I used paint stripper but can't really recall for sure. I polished the covers using a product called SolvAll Autosol. It's an aluminum polishing compound. Mostly I used a good buffing wheel on a drill plus a lot of "hand work" for the nooks and crannys. I didn't put anything on afterwards and they still look good. Takes a bit of practise with the buffing wheel and it does take a lot of work to get them buffed up to be "like chrome" but it's well worth the effort.

does anyone know of a easy way to get that varnish/clearcoat off of these aluminum engine covers? Mine is half off and not consistant. I have tried mineral spirits to no avail . When i get them cleaned and polished is there some material that can go back on them to keep them sharp? Please advise.

thanks!

scott

The best way I found was to take it to a chromer/polishing company and have it acid dipped then profesionally polished. It comes out looking like chrome. Check out my earlier post on "Poor Man's tips and fixes" Thread named "Making engine show ready" dated last spring.