IGNORED

clutch / brake res sight glass windows ?

Years ago the one in my Virago rotted. There is a retaining ring on the outside that taps in to hold it in place, and an o-ring or gasket for sealing. I replaced mine with a dime. Yes, a dime. Not much for seeing thru, but it's done the trick for 10 years and provided much amusement for my daughter.

Jeremy

Hi.

I have bought a replacement master cylinder on ebay. I'll swap out the one with the bad window and then do some experiments with it to see whats possible. Brake fluid is nasty stuff, I have some damage to my faring from a b/f leak. I some how doubt that plastic watch crystals would stand up to the b/f but a glass one would if I could get a good seal.

I'll keep the thread posted on what I find out.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Hi.

I have bought a replacement master cylinder on ebay. I'll swap out the one with the bad window and then do some experiments with it to see whats possible. Brake fluid is nasty stuff, I have some damage to my faring from a b/f leak. I some how doubt that plastic watch crystals would stand up to the b/f but a glass one would if I could get a good seal.

I'll keep the thread posted on what I find out.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

This subject has come up in the past. The window resembles, and has the consistency, of swiss cheese, but when coated with oil it becomes transparent again. I wondered if one could take some clear nail polish and treat the outside of the glass, and if it would take care of the problem??? I've never tried, but one of these days I'll try it on an old reserve, and the wife will be minus some clear nail polish....:whistling:

when coated with oil it becomes transparent again.

None of mine are transparent. They are all cloudy, except the rotten one which IS like swiss cheese!

A bit of research on Ebay turned up this: Mstr Cyl Sight Glass Lens Honda Shadow VT 700 750 1100

I have confirmed this kits use on my own V65 Magna and it works on all the mid 80s Honda V4s. It works on the mid 80s Shadows, Yamaha Maxims and Secas. If you want to give it a try on a different bike I have a liberal return policy.

I have emailed the vendor about his experience with Ventures but a quick comparison of the glass on my Maxim and the Ventures makes me think that if his will fit the Maxim, as he claims, then it looks like it should also fit the Venture.

I have also emailed a local jeweller about buying a few 5/8" glass watch crystals from him.

This forum thread was also interesting.

I'll keep this thread up to date with what I find out.

Cheers,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont.

Edited by 6m459
merged two posts into one

None of mine are transparent. They are all cloudy, except the rotten one which IS like swiss cheese!

A bit of research on Ebay turned up this: Mstr Cyl Sight Glass Lens Honda Shadow VT 700 750 1100

I have emailed the vendor about his experience with Ventures but a quick comparison of the glass on my Maxim and the Ventures makes me think that if his will fit the Maxim, as he claims, then it looks like it should also fit the Venture.

I have also emailed a local jeweller about buying a few 5/8" glass watch crystals from him.

This forum thread was also interesting.

I'll keep this thread up to date with what I find out.

Cheers,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont.

Great post Brian, Thanks for all you research. I'm going to check with my local watch repair shop too. This could be the answer to a very common problem with all the 1stGens. Originally the manufacturers probably used plastic because it was cheaper, and not as suseptable to damage as glass would be. Watch crystals look like the answer.:thumbsup2: