IGNORED

Stereo Rear Speaker Upgrade?

Pilot

I have been toying with building a 40 watt stereo amplifier (2x20 watts) that uses the bikes fader control to control the amplitude (output) of and converts the rear speakers from mono to stereo on the RSV. Actually I have built the unit and I’m happy with the results so far but I may try and reduce the size of the unit.

All the bikes electronics remain intact and work as advertised; this unit only provides contollable stereo output to the rear speakers using the bikes fader control. If you turn the volume up on the rear speakers using the fader control on the bike you increase the amplitude of the rear speakers and visa versa. The base and treble control on the bike will control the base and treble on the front and rear speakers. The unit will fit behind the access panel of the trunk, which is located behind the passenger seat. You have to tap the front speakers and run wire to this location. If you don’t have volume on the front speakers you won’t have volume in the rear. The big problem was to build the circuit so you could not overload the input by turning up the front volume. You also have to run power and ground from a switched feed for power to this location. You can use the stock speakers because the power output is only about 11 watts actual per channel and the stock speakers are 14 watts. I can increase the output of the unit to about 100 watts per channel and still keep the size down so it will fit, but if I did this you would need to upgrade the rear speakers.

I have been in contact with a company that will build the component and enclose it in a watertight enclosure but the price is a bit high I think. In order to get the price down to what I consider reasonable I will need to order 1000 of them.

At present I am trying to get the price down to $130 to $150 delivered in the states. I don’t know that I can do that and keep the quality of the unit up. At present the unit would sell for about $180.00 plus shipping. So before I continue searching for a manufacture that will give me a better price I want to get an idea of how many people would like one.

Also what do you think of the price?

Thanks for you inquiries and input.

Jim,

Sounds like you have a good idea on your hands there. Price might be rich for some folks blood. Not being a smartass, just playing devils advocate. I know that there have been a few that have installed EQ's in the cassette deck area after it's removal. Added power and fader control, but I do like the idea of the intergration that you have come up with. It might take off like wildfire, I have been wrong in the past and surely will be more so ion the future.

Perhaps if you took pics of it and the installation process it might help folks visualize a bit better :confused24:

Jim,

Sounds like you have a good idea on your hands there. Price might be rich for some folks blood. Not being a smartass, just playing devils advocate. I know that there have been a few that have installed EQ's in the cassette deck area after it's removal. Added power and fader control, but I do like the idea of the intergration that you have come up with. It might take off like wildfire, I have been wrong in the past and surely will be more so ion the future.

Perhaps if you took pics of it and the installation process it might help folks visualize a bit better :confused24:

The unit is not in it's final package yet so pictures would only show you the circuit board and wires comming from the bike to my work bench. I am also thinking of building the units myself. If I did I think the price would be around $80.00 but the final package would not look professional, but then you won't be able to see it anyway. I'm also looking at other locations for mounting. I'm just in the preliminary stage at the moment. I'm thinking it would take me about a day to build one so people would have to order one and wait to get it and if I was overwhelmed with orders this wait might be long. Lots of problems to think about. The company I am in touch uses only handcapped people and I like that.

I totally understand where your coming from, I do like the idea of the handicapped workers, give them some self worth and something to strive for :happy34:

I'll be interested to see how it all pans out, I have had ideas that seemed to catch on like wildfire and quickly was overwhelmed :shock3:.....you just might be on to something here :)

Guest tx2sturgis

Hmmm....I have to say, in my opinion, that it may not be 'marketable'....

The wattage seems too low, the wiring requirements seem too complex, and the payoff is...well what is the payoff? I didnt even know my rear speakers WERE mono...and all that money and hassle installing it gets you... not much louder sound, maybe some stereo seperation, but who can hear the back speakers anyway, except for a small, skinny passenger!

I would think the better alternative would be to offer a 'plug and play' unit, maybe a powered subwoofer(mounted in the trunk!), or an upgraded speaker/amp combo....hey I'm not tryin to rain on your parade...but I think since you asked, you should get opinions from both sides.

I do applaud your willingness to tinker though. Have you seen this little amp?

http://www.mhinstruments.com/products/mini_amp.htm

Maybe something you do could be based on that little $49.95 amp...it has adjustable speaker level inputs and is 100 watts and quite small. I bought one originally to use on my Elelctraglide, but never did....I may use it in the fairing of my new Venture, to amplify the FRONT speakers. Actually I think the 'payoff' there would be money well spent.

Good luck on your project!

Hmmm....I have to say, in my opinion, that it may not be 'marketable'....

The wattage seems too low, the wiring requirements seem too complex, and the payoff is...well what is the payoff? I didnt even know my rear speakers WERE mono...and all that money and hassle installing it gets you... not much louder sound, maybe some stereo seperation, but who can hear the back speakers anyway, except for a small, skinny passenger!

I would think the better alternative would be to offer a 'plug and play' unit, maybe a powered subwoofer(mounted in the trunk!), or an upgraded speaker/amp combo....hey I'm not tryin to rain on your parade...but I think since you asked, you should get opinions from both sides.

I do applaud your willingness to tinker though. Have you seen this little amp?

http://www.mhinstruments.com/products/mini_amp.htm

Maybe something you do could be based on that little $49.95 amp...it has adjustable speaker level inputs and is 100 watts and quite small. I bought one originally to use on my Elelctraglide, but never did....I may use it in the fairing of my new Venture, to amplify the FRONT speakers. Actually I think the 'payoff' there would be money well spent.

Good luck on your project!

The more I think about it the more I agree with you. Even if I go with the 100 watt ouput IC's it is a lot of work and I don't think I will be able to get the price down much more. As I said I'm just tinkering because I got bored. I was just wondering what other people thought of the idea. I think the price is to high. It was fun doing it and figuring things out but I don't think it's going to be viable. I still like the idea of upgrading the rear speakers to stereo and I just may replace the cassette with a 4 channel equalizer to accomplish that. After all once you adjust the fader on the equalizer how many time do you need to play with it. Even adding the equalizer you will still need to run wires to the rear speaker pods to get stereo and you can't beat the price around $35.00 delivered for the equalizer.

Well off to the next idea as soon as I get one......:confused24:

How about an ejection seat for the passenger?:rotf::rotf::rotf:

• 2 weeks later...

I am not satisfied with the OEM audio system. I play music loud on all four speakers as I ride, and after 32,000 miles have no sound from the front speakers and poor sound from the rear. Is there a waterproof or weather resistant speakers available to use? Please advise.:(

The biggest thing to remember is that you have to have the power to push to the speakers or they will distort the louder you go. The stock amp on the bike doesn't push much, this is why some folks have gone with the EQ amp combo and matched up the speakers to the power output of what they purchased.

My next G2 will have a sterio upgrade, more than likely with some Boston acoustic speakers front and rear :happy34:

Just remember that not all speakers are created equal. When it comes time to buy them go with what other here are using and recommend. The equalizer is a good idea, one that I’m playing with but have not done yet.

I thought head unit drove the the rear speakers in stereo...

I'll have to play with the fader and balance controls on my bike when I get home tonight as I did not ride into work today....

More power to drive the speakers would be nice, but I am unwilling to give up any space in the trunk or bags, so the amp would have to be water proof and mount with the CB or inside the fairings.

Also the power of the amplifier must be rated at a THD of .01% or less........

What will the Dynamic Range be, I hope as near 120dB as you can get.

How do you plan on getting the audio out of the current head unit before it's amplifiers to minimize distortion?

What class of amplifier are you building? Class A I hope..... or AB at worst...

I would like to see a twin monaural independent construction also....