IGNORED

Trunk On RSTD

Guest Ironhead

Guest Ironhead

Has anyone put the trunk off a Venture on a RSTD? I am thinking the full fairing off a Venture would be a little more difficult?

I know, if I want a Venture buy one. I like the Red/Raven RSTD and don't think they make a Venture in that color combination.

Thanks,

Rick

You might be better off buying a harley king tour pack and mount that on the venture rack to your rstd like I did. have it painted to match your bike and it opens from the side and is bigger than the venture trunk. I added leds on the back and sides of the trunk and it came with a luggage rack which is nice too. Check out my bike.

Bob

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_110.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZN

I put a Harley Tourpak on my RSTD and love it. Mounts were a combination of Harley mount bracket, older Royal Star sissy bar mounts, and tube stock. I don't fabricate so had it built and chromed, wasn't cheap but if you can fabricate it's not a big chore.

Here's a pic...

i put a venture trunk on my rstd. it is a very expensive venture if you don't have a trunk. you will need the complete trunk and luggage rack off a venture. the rstd fender rails are almost the same but the mounting holes need a slight modification to bolt them on. heres a picture of mine. bill

Guest FFMCPres

How expensive is expensive? I've been kinda half way looking around for a Tour Pak or a Venture trunk but haven't had any luck. HD-wise, a lot of the stuff on eBay is either new ($!) or junk, and I haven't seen any Venture stuff come up. I wonder about the bolt-on sissy bar luggage rack and attaching something to it, but it looks like it raises up in the back (none of the dealers around me have one in stock to look at, and I don't want to special order one and not like it) and seems that I'd have to build some Jed Clampett affair to make that work...

And as far as modding the rail holes...better off to buy the Venture ones or can it be done without looking skeery?

Thanks!

PS: Your bikes look sweeeeet with the trunks!

How expensive is expensive? I've been kinda half way looking around for a Tour Pak or a Venture trunk but haven't had any luck. HD-wise, a lot of the stuff on eBay is either new ($!) or junk, and I haven't seen any Venture stuff come up. I wonder about the bolt-on sissy bar luggage rack and attaching something to it, but it looks like it raises up in the back (none of the dealers around me have one in stock to look at, and I don't want to special order one and not like it) and seems that I'd have to build some Jed Clampett affair to make that work...

And as far as modding the rail holes...better off to buy the Venture ones or can it be done without looking skeery?

Thanks!

PS: Your bikes look sweeeeet with the trunks!

i started out with the venture luggage rack off ebay with a cheap trunk. then decided to get a venture trunk. i bought it in pieces off ebay and bought all new hardware. took a year to gather all the parts. $1400.00 later i had a nice used trunk. i would say new with rack over $2000.00. would i do it again? not if i new what it was going to cost. may want to think about trading for a venture. the holes are there for the rack. i think one on each side had to be inlarged and a metric nut tack welded on the back side of the rail cuz you can't get back there to hold it with a wrench. no matter what trunk you use make sure it has a back rest and use the venture luggage rack. sell the oem rstd back rest, they go high on ebay and are butt ugly. you won't need it anymore any way. what ever you do, do it right and don't jury rig it to save money. you don't want to ruin the looks of a nice bike. bill

Guest FFMCPres

Bill,

Thanks for the reply! Yikes, 2 grand...I almost went with the Venture originally, but liked the lines of the TD since I'm a minimalist (wink!). I never ride with the OEM sissybar unless my wife or daughter is with me...you're right, butt-ugly!...but I was just trying to work with something I had first.

I agree; never scrimp or rig things. I had a little sideline doing classic/antique cars and some of the stuff I had to undo makes me want to write a book. Why, why, why, Delila? lol!

Anyway, looks like I'm going to live with overloaded saddlebags for now and keep my eyes open. 10 street bikes over 27 years in the saddle and this one is the best I ever had...I just can't justify trading up right now...

Thanks again,

Randy

Bill,

Thanks for the reply! Yikes, 2 grand...I almost went with the Venture originally, but liked the lines of the TD since I'm a minimalist (wink!). I never ride with the OEM sissybar unless my wife or daughter is with me...you're right, butt-ugly!...but I was just trying to work with something I had first.

I agree; never scrimp or rig things. I had a little sideline doing classic/antique cars and some of the stuff I had to undo makes me want to write a book. Why, why, why, Delila? lol!

Anyway, looks like I'm going to live with overloaded saddlebags for now and keep my eyes open. 10 street bikes over 27 years in the saddle and this one is the best I ever had...I just can't justify trading up right now...

Thanks again,

Randy

i kind of prefered the windshield myself and did'nt want to pay for the cb and some of the extras. so i went with the rstd. than i started traveling and really needed the trunk. sold my rstd and now riding an 08 wing with all the bells and whistles, go figure, but i do love it. keep watching ebay like every day. trunks are on there all the time off wrecked ones. they usually have no hardware cuz they reuse it when the fix the bike. all the new hardware, and there is a bunch of it, was over $800.00 with a 20% discount. bill

I have the Venture Trunk on my 98 Royal Star Tour Classic II. It was a direct bolt on and looks awsome painted to match the bike. Just to ease your concerns on costs I paid $500 for the complete setup wich included the trunk mount, trunk, speaker pods, backrest pad, upper rack and the grab bars. The only think I had to provide was some extra bolts. I found my setup on one of the star boards on Delphi Forums.

Here are some pictures just before painting it, I have not taken any since it was painted. I am hoping to add some to the album this week.

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg238/dcgtls/1998%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star/

• 2 weeks later...

First Post here. Will be picking up my RSTD (used '06 with 10,000 miles) tomorrow or Friday. Has anyone seen or used this trunk. Looks like a no brainer from a cost standpoint compared to other choices. Not my website, item, no affiliation. Looking for feedback. I suppose I could be first......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HD-HARLEY-Tour-Pak-Pack-Trunk-ELECTRA-GLIDE-ROAD-KING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ84146QQihZ020QQitemZ300257026043QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thanks,

ddog

Hi,

You might want to contact Lone Eagle - I'm pretty sure it was him I talked to when I was deciding on a trunk - convinced me not to buy the ~$110 type that is constantly on sale on eBay. Whoever it was I chatted with had tried the trunk and it was so flimsy his wife felt like she would fall through it when accelerating! I'll sniff around for the old posts / email but it may have been before the crash....

I went with a Harley TourPak and love it...shown on attached thumbnail this past weekend with a T-Bag designed to fit it and stuffed with about 40 pounds of stuff. This trunk is strong! And there are a go-zillion accessories for it becasue for some reason I don't understand, they sell lots of Harleys... :witch_brew:

That's really what I'm after, is how well is it made. It looks good in the pictures. I'm typically not one to go the cheap route and am aware of the you get what you pay for. The ebay link for that particular seller also has a link to a review of it from an online mag and the writer seemed to like it.

It would seem to me if they can crank out thin ones and sell them for 110, you should be able to produce one with twice the material thickness and sell it for 220??

The Harley Tour Pak does look nice, seems like your out around $500.00 minimum used to go this route without painting. Are they ABS or Fiberglass??

What about GIVI? DO they make a cruiser style trunk? I know they are popular with the FJR and ST11/13 Crowd.

ddog

The one I have is a 2006 model, it is some kind of plastic, I assume ABS. The 2006 and later have two sets of holes so the trunk can be moved by about an inch....

I am unable to find the posts / emails so far about the "flimsy" trunk, but it looks like is wasn't Lone Eagle, I found his from when I was deciding and I think my memory is incorrect....I'll keep looking.....

I have a 2006 rstd Looked for a trunk for about 6 months, Finally found one from a ventura , black same as mine . traded the sissy bar even up, had all rails and lugage rack as well . It bolted right on easy and looks great . Keep looking some one might want to trade,or sell, some don`t like the trunk I love it best thing I ever did and I got a good deal .Try some bike junk yards or banged up bikes... It is trully a beautiful thing when done, A try hybred

• 4 months later...

i bought the mutazu 110.00 trunk for my rstd and have found it to be plenty substantial, and much more comfortable than the postage stamp back rest that was on it. the abs is plenty think and the lock set works fine. the only thing i found suspect were the hinges but they're ok. i'm also adding a ultimate seat next week and will post pics when i get everything in place.

ride safe and be cool, thumper1

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking around on the internet. I believe the name was mutazu. go to their site and check them out. I don't know anything about the quality of the product, might be worth a try. Sorry didn't see thumpers post (even though it was right in front of me)!

If anyone is looking for a simple trunk rack that will bolt up to a RSTD take a look at the "Wompus" rack. Here is there site: http://www.wompusracks.com/ They make a rack for the "Royal Star Deluxe", it's for the RSTD. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the rack called "Yamaha Royal Star Deluxe". Then you can find just about any trunk and mount it to the rack!! A good site to go to to ask questions on putting fairings, saddlebags or trunks on anything is: http://forums.delphiforums.com/ultrastar/start These guys have all the answers and sources. Also you can visit one of there links: www.scootworks.com . They sell trunks and racks for the RSTD.

Dennis

Edited by dlhoulton

• 1 year later...

I had a Mutazu on my 06 for awhile but recently took it off. Not the highest quality but it worked fine.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/Tarl-Saxon/100_0439.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/Tarl-Saxon/100_0444.jpg