IGNORED

Bumpy Blue Ridge Parkway

Venturous Randy

Took a ride yesterday with a friend on an RSTD on the BRP from about Fancy Gap in VA down to Grandfather Mountain in NC. It was an absolutely beautiful day, clear, with temps in lower 70's and very light breeze and very light traffic. We could not have ordered up a more perfect day.

The downside was after a while, I could not stand much of it any more. There are parts that are very rough with big pot holes, but in many places, especially at bridges, that will about launch you and your bike. The entrance to the newly built bridge going south as it crosses 421 should never have been approved as it is so mismatched that is literally crashes your suspension and launches you. There are many sinks, dips and pot holes that can almost wreak you if you catch then wrong.

I know we had a bad winter last year that did not help, but if you plan on spending some time on the BRP, take your back brace.

RandyA

Took a ride yesterday with a friend on an RSTD on the BRP from about Fancy Gap in VA down to Grandfather Mountain in NC. It was an absolutely beautiful day' date=' clear, with temps in lower 70's and very light breeze and very light traffic. We could not have ordered up a more perfect day. The downside was after a while, I could not stand much of it any more. There are parts that are very rough with big pot holes, but in many places, especially at bridges, that will about launch you and your bike. The entrance to the newly built bridge going south as it crosses 421 should never have been approved as it is so mismatched that is literally crashes your suspension and launches you. There are many sinks, dips and pot holes that can almost wreak you if you catch then wrong. I know we had a bad winter last year that did not help, but if you plan on spending some time on the BRP, take your back brace. RandyA[/quote']

So disappointed to hear that Randy. We are heading south from Front Royal right now and currently in Roanoke. So far the road has been outstanding, with only about a mile of one lane where they are completing a long stretch of new paving.

That's too bad. Hopefully it gets repaired ASAP.

In late May last year we rode the BRP from Linville, NC north to Roanoke, VA and the road was in great condition. Some bridge joints were a little rough but nothing memorable. Maybe I'm just too used to Canadian potholes.

Weather was fantastic but we were too early for the rhodadendrans (sp?) on Roan Mtn.

I am not saying that the entire section is like that, I am just venting that there are some spots that need some serious looking at. The BRP is a fantastic road and nothing like it will ever be built again. I feel very lucky that I live an hour or so away from many points and I have enjoyed it for about 45 years, ever since I was about 18.

My frustration is the bridges and small sink holes in the road that are not pot holes where the pavement is broken and gone, even though there is some of that too. The vast majority of the parkway is very rideable and enjoyable. I just wish these places could be fixed. To me, when ever you have places that literally crash your suspension and you bottom out or your bike completely leaves the ground while going the speed limit, it needs to be fixed.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a fantastic engineering accomplishment and most was built before we had much of the road building equipment we have now. It still fascinates me on how they did it.

RandyA

Randy,, are the bad spots something thats been building up for years or something as a result of this past bad winter? I know around here they are still trying to catch up with the devastation of the harsh winter and wet spring with both roads and houses...

wont be long and each state will be charging a fee to get on the parkway...even the brush is getting to high where one can not see anything..

Yes, you are correct. Some of the overlooks are nothing more than a pull off as you can't see the forest for the trees and bushes.

Randy,, are the bad spots something thats been building up for years or something as a result of this past bad winter? I know around here they are still trying to catch up with the devastation of the harsh winter and wet spring with both roads and houses...

A lot of the problems are those building for years. I believe some of the worst from Mt Mitchell to Asheville has been repaved. That part got really bad for awhile.

RandyA

Thanks for the info Randy! The wife and I, and another couple are planning to head down that way the weekend of the 13th. We've sorta talked about riding some of the BRP, but will now probably just do some of the lower end around Asheville. We're looking forward to this trip as we don't really have any plans other than the Moonshiner 28, just take it as it comes.

We just rode the entire Skyline Drive and BRP. Overall, we thought the roads were very good, and it is an amazing ride. But there are so many great roads along the way and through the Smokies area. Today, we stumbled onto the 35 mile "Back of the Dragon" ride from Marion, VA and learned there is also a 224 mile ride in VA called the Claw of the Dragon".

Just read a post that said Mr Tilley that owns HD dealers in Staesville and somwhere else up in NC was killed on BRP in a single vehicle accident. Wonder if roads were a factor there.

The crash happened at about the point of crossing I-26, the French Broad river and rt 191. This would be right before starting up the mountain from Asheville going toward Cherokee.

Could a bad place in the road have been a factor? That's a good question as there are some bumps that are pretty severe, at least on my bike's suspension.

RandyA

Beware I enjoy riding the Blue Ridge Parkway as good as anyone none the less this is a dangerous road especially now that it has so much maintenance work to be performed. I've seen cracks in the middle of the road where a M/C front wheel could easily drop-in, dips and holes that can launch off the bike. This road demands your 100% concentration, so don't get too wrapped up in the scenery and watch that rough road. Lost a good friend this past Friday, Don Tilley. I've also had other friends over shoot curves due to being inattentive. Don't let this happen to You!!!!!!:depressed: