IGNORED

12 Gage 100 ft cord Times 2?

GolfVenture

I recently purchased a 14 amp electric chain saw with a 100 ft 12 gage extension cord. So far works great cutting up fire wood. I'd like to go into my property further to fall more trees.

My question is if I purchased another 100ft 12 Gage extension cord would that drop the amps in a way that would be harmful for the 14 amp electric chain saw?

UH-OH....Here we go again with an electrical question....lol

It's not the amps that'll drop, but the voltage, which will cause the amp draw to increase.

If you're running 200' of stranded 12gauge wire in your cords you should be fine. If you notice the saw starting to heat up, ...take a break and give it some time to cool and go again. IMHO, you have nothing to worry about.

:cool10:

(Waiting on the correction)

UH-OH....Here we go again with an electrical question....lol

It's not the amps that'll drop, but the voltage, which will cause the amp draw to increase.

If you're running 200' of stranded 12gauge wire in your cords you should be fine. If you notice the saw starting to heat up, ...take a break and give it some time to cool and go again. IMHO, you have nothing to worry about.

:cool10:

(Waiting on the correction)

NOPE!!!!

In this case you are exactly correct.

But I would still make the new cord a 10 gauge.

A 12 ga 100 foot cord at 14 amps will cause a 5.5 volt drop.

a 10 ga 100 foot cord at 14 amps will cause a 3.5 volt drop.

It is recommended to never lose more than 3% of your voltage due to wire length. You are well past that.

As mentioned, keep a close eye on motor temp, and keep the chain sharp, and go easy.

In general a 14 AWG cord is way way too small for any electric chain saw unless you are only using a 25-50' cord. The paperwork that came with your saw should clearly tell you what size cord you need for a specific length.

For example, I have a little 14" electric saw I bought to fill in the gaps the first winter I moved to the mountains - my gas saws were stuck back in Texas, and it was cheap form Harbor Freight (and works great). Anyway, it is rated at 9 amps, and the chart in the manual shows that it requires a 10 AWG cord for 100', and should not even be used with a 150' cord (probably because an 8 AWG cord is not only very hard to find, but almost impossible to handle!). Using a 14 AWG cord at 100' would seriously damage that motor if used for anything but twigs.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
more info