IGNORED

Transmission slipping from 1st to neutral

I have a 2012 Royal Star Venture. On three occasions the transmission has "mysteriously' shifted from 1st into neutral with no rider assistance. The first two occasions I was practically stopped but fell when the bike did not respond since it was in neutral instead of 1st gear which I had previously shifted to. The second time I broke my hip. Now, 7 weeks later I am leaving a parking lot with a steep incline and it does it again. I was in 1st and about half way up the embankment when I felt the loss of power and racing of my engine. I immediately "stomped" it into 1st and made it up the incline ok.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions!

Vedis:detective:

Sorry to hear of the broken hip...that can be tough.

It might be it was not fully shifted into gear and popped out under power. You might

give the shiftage linkage an inspection, make sure the swivels rotated easily and grease if needed

(some of the linkage is viewed from underneath the engine). Shifter

pedal height adjustment could also be a factor, if the toe is set too low.

Another thought....are you wearing footwear with a light sole as opposed to a boot.

Sometimes a sole that flexes can cause poor shifter engagement.

I had the same problem and it was the spring that holds the detent in place. If it is broken, you can feel that the linkage does not have the "click" when it goes into gear. You can check this by getting to the point where there is no binding to go into gear and you may have to rock the bike a little to get to that sweet spot. You will also be able to tell that it will come out of gear easy and without the click.

If this is the issue, you will have to take the cover that is over the clutch off and you will see it on the bottom left, up behind the clutch.

RandyA

you might be bumping the heel shifter and not realize your doing it.

Took a while to get used to the heel\toe shifter at first and found myself in neutral as a result on a number of times. Was lucky to not drop it. :shock3: Also noticed that shifting can get iffy or not as smooth if you let your engine oil get dirty or stretch too much between changes.

:canada:

Sorry to hear of the broken hip...that can be tough.

It might be it was not fully shifted into gear and popped out under power. You might

give the shiftage linkage an inspection, make sure the swivels rotated easily and grease if needed

(some of the linkage is viewed from underneath the engine). Shifter

pedal height adjustment could also be a factor, if the toe is set too low.

Another thought....are you wearing footwear with a light sole as opposed to a boot.

Sometimes a sole that flexes can cause poor shifter engagement.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I always wear a boot so that's at least one I can check off.:fingers-crossed-emo

First make sure you are not inadvertently bumping the shifter. Then warranty.

Mike

The first two times I wondered if I had gotten my big foot where it did not belong. I am accessing the "warranty" tomorrow. Thanks!:)

I have a 2012 Royal Star Venture. On three occasions the transmission has "mysteriously' shifted from 1st into neutral with no rider assistance. The first two occasions I was practically stopped but fell when the bike did not respond since it was in neutral instead of 1st gear which I had previously shifted to. The second time I broke my hip. Now, 7 weeks later I am leaving a parking lot with a steep incline and it does it again. I was in 1st and about half way up the embankment when I felt the loss of power and racing of my engine. I immediately "stomped" it into 1st and made it up the incline ok.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions!

Vedis:detective:

This is the first time I have made a post and so I definitely am in the uphill side of my learning curve.

All the posts that I have received have been very helpful. Thanks to all for taking the time to provide information!:301:

• 3 weeks later...