IGNORED

Shopping List

OK guys, here's the problem. Partly thanks to my spending a fair piece of last year on medical leave, my '96 TC needs it's carbs overhauled [damn gas!]. The Squidley checked it out at the Doodle's MD [on Fri] and said that there was was nothing we could do to it without the rebuild. He was already helping out on two 1st gens that were getting carb work done and said that I needed 4 of the rebuild kits similar to what they were using on the 1st gens. Only one problem. . .

I CAN'T FIND ANY!! :bang head:

The only kit I can find on that for my bike has the float gasket and needle set, nothing else! As my bike probably has the carbs that the Squid is the least familiar with [and for Brad, that's saying something!], I'm trying to put the kits together for him so we can get my bike back to a going concern again. I need a list of all the parts we need for this as I'm probably going to have to buy all 4 sets ala carte as it were. Considering what some of the online Yamaha sources are asking for just the darn o rings. . . . . .

:mo money: HELP!!

What about a complete swap of carbs if a set was found? I saw some for under $100. Now I just got to remember where. I think they were for a 1st Gen. Which I understand would make your bike much faster, because it would have 1st gen parts. :rotf:

Only one problem with a carb swap from any other RS/VR outside of the original RS years ['96 to '01 if memory serves] is that the carbs are different sizes. This is why mine are the least familiar to Squidley as they are 28mm and the VR/RSV/RSTD are either 32 or 34. One of the mods for this bike is a swap with the larger set, but according to Brad, they have to be machined to match up with the TC's set up. So this is not an option for me, so far as I know. I do know that the float gasket for my bike is completely different than the ones they were using Saturday at the MD.

As for my bike being faster with 1st gen parts on it?? :scratchchin: I bought this bike up in my home state of Illinois and rode it home with a small detour to Bogalusa and KBran's MD a few years ago. After a 1400 mile trip? Believe me, this bike is more than fast enough for this lil girl as is!!:bikersmilie:

..... I need a list of all the parts we need for this as I'm probably going to have to buy all 4 sets ala carte as it were. Considering what some of the online Yamaha sources are asking for just the darn o rings. . . . . .

In 1997 the amount of ethanol in the gas was far less than the increased percentage we are getting from the gas pumps today. Last summer the carbs in my 97RSTD decided to puke the gas. So, with the intent of migrating to non-oxygenated gasoline (zero ethanol) I completely tore apart my carbs, cleaned thoroughly, and replaced all rubber that had come into contact with the ethanol gasoline (except for the diaphragms). The diaphragms were inspected and one had multiple pinholes which needed replacement. I ordered that replacement from here: Sirius website ... If you mention you're a member of this forum you should get a slight discount. That site also shows the needle valve sets and float o-rings. Ask your local yamaha dealer if they will price match. Most of them will and you help keep the money in the community that way. For my 28mm carbs I used this site to obtain the part numbers: Yamaha Parts House To replace all the other rubber you will need items 6,7,30,and 44 from that diagram. I will leave the carb cleaning technique up to you.

If your 28mm carbs are not the MIKUNI carbs then I apologize and please ignore this post :whistling:

...edit.... sorry Brenda... for some reason the yamaha link always comes up with side cover assembly. find the button which says "change assembly" and migrate to the carburetors.. if you take the part numbers to your local yamaha dealer, they should be able to get the parts in within a week.. good luck, and sorry bout the side cover thingamabobbywhatchamacallitwrongpagethingy...

Edited by Sexagenarian