IGNORED

Monsoon Rain - Bike won't run

bmiller

I am headed to Guntersville and encountered some heavy rain. Made it to Saskatoon Saskatchewan and stopped for coffee. Jumped back on fired up with some hesitation then started off. Did not make it a block and she quit. Turns over fine but will not start? Any suggestions. The tack was acting up bouncing all over before she quit, don't know if that means anything

Hey B, never owned or worked on a 2nd Gen but it sounds like a wet TCI connector.. Maybe just wet plugs plugs too.. Maybe a night to dry out will help, one of my favorite sayings is - things always look better in the morning.. If not, pull the plug terminals off the tops of the plugs and, blow em out and squirt em with WD-40 if ya can first.. If this dont help, pull the connector on the TCI (PAIN ON A 1ST GEN - NOT SURE WHERE THE TCI IS LOCATED ON A 2ND GEN) and dry it out, if you happen to have, or can get some dielectric grease - make a light smear on the connector to the TCI before snapping it back together - not heavy buy enough to help seal it - if it were mine I would then coat up the wires leading into the back of the TCI harness...

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about your bike will respond!!

Will be watching to see how this comes out!

Sorry ya got caught in the rain!

Puc

Great advise re things look better in the morning, that puts things into perspective!! I booked a room hung everything everywhere in the room that would support a wet garment and came for coffee at Timmie Ho's. As for riding in the rain that is part of going somewhere where I come from. I am hoping the overnight rest will dry her out and will be able to continue the journey tomorrow without to much delay!!

Puc, You nailed it, rolled my girl out into the sun first thing in the morning... (after attempting to start with no luck, several calls to local bike shops that were not open and a few harsh words) ..... let her sit for better part of an hour while I cleaned up the chrome etc. and presto she fired up. I spent a lot of time on the road today!!

Thanks for the assistance & suggestions!!

Bernie