IGNORED

Need advise on Passenger comfort

Okay, so before I get grilled I did use the search function but wasn't getting the answer I was looking for, and there very well may not be one.

So I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'10". I have an aftermarket windscreen which is wider and taller than the stock. My wife still seems to get buffeted by the wind. She wears a 3/4 helmet with a full shield. She tells me her head vibrates and it feels like it is being pulled up. She scrunches down behind me and of course that is fine, but not practical.

I was thinking if I could shave the passenger seat down a couple inches she may find it better.

Any suggestions from some taller passengers? :fingers-crossed-emo

Guest tx2sturgis

If you will reinstall the factory shield, which will be shorter, she may be more comfortable.

You could even trim the factory shield a few inches. Also, have her try a full face helmet if possible. Less exposed area underneath.

The tall windshield is making the buffeting problem worse, not better, by causing a low pressure area over her head and the wind from below is rushing in to fill that partial vacuum. You should be looking OVER the windshield when seated upright, and just through the top one inch when relaxed and cruising. If you wear a full face, you can trim the windshield even more.

If you try a shorter shield AND some lower fairing extenders it might make it quite comfy for her!

What have you got to lose except an unhappy pillion?

BTW...I would NOT shave the padding from the passenger seat...her bottom side will be sore after a short ride from bouncing against or contacting the hard plastic seat pan. Thats fine for bar-hoppers but a long ride out of town will NOT be fun for her.

:cool10:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I'm 5'9" & my wife is 5'3" on a gen 1 with the stock windshield and she has the same complaint. She found that absolutely NOTHING will keep her from feeling the wind. What she does is always wears he armored jacket & a full face modular helmet. She has a 1/2 shell but will only use it for quick local hops.

The modular is especially effective at highway speeds and in rain. She says she is completely insulated from the wind (she sometimes falls asleep back there)

Thanks for the advise. I am going to look into the modular helmet. I think the fit is good, since she takes a XS. I thought about her own wheels too, but she has never ridden before. I was actually looking at getting her a scooter so she can tag along with me.

bongobobny, I live in southern Ontario, about a half hour south of London.

Thanks for the advise. I am going to look into the modular helmet..

Check the weight on the modular helmets. Some are much more heavy than regular helmets.

I have two Scorpions and I get neck aches on long rides. :backinmyday:

Edited by Jimbob66

If you try a shorter shield AND some lower fairing extenders it might make it quite comfy for her!

Lower fairing extenders ? Where do I get those and where do they attach ? I think that may resolve a complaint I'm having with my passenger.

I have to agree with the many and say shorter shield. And also go with a full face/modular helmet, check stats and you will find about 75% impact on helmets in a crash are the chin area, things that make you say Hhhhhhhhhhmmmm.:whistling: The helmet will for sure lessen the buffeting and smooth the air flow.

That and remember we are on a motorcycle to feel that wind, I know the buffeting can be difficult so ride faster and cut some of it away.:stickpoke:

2nd gen RSV have 10 inch bagger shield. Wife is 5'6" wearing 3/4 with faceshiled - sometimes up and sometimes down. NO buffeting. Says she is comfortable with "wind in her face, after all, I am on a motorcycle"

by the way, I love the baggershield !

VentureFar...

Check the weight on the modular helmets. Some are much more heavy than regular helmets.

I have two Scorpions and I get neck aches on long rides. :backinmyday:

Good point Jimbo, that was the 2nd complaint the mrs had. She wound up getting a BILT Evolution modular from Cycle Gear. It's actually more balanced than her 1/2 helmet.

Try the HJC ones, they have a more rounded shape and thus give extra space for the ears. Great for folks who wear glasses. They are a bit noiser than one piece full face though. Look for the ones with the retractable sun shield.

:canada:

yeah what he said. Especially this part "Great for folks who wear glasses". Also, for those with big ears. :rotf:(thanks Dad for the awesome genetics!)

I have 6 helmets .. I use one. The HJC. Others make my glasses stab into my skull after about an hour.

Try the HJC ones, they have a more rounded shape and thus give extra space for the ears. Great for folks who wear glasses. They are a bit noiser than one piece full face though. Look for the ones with the retractable sun shield.

:canada:

yeah what he said. Especially this part "Great for folks who wear glasses". Also, for those with big ears. :rotf:(thanks Dad for the awesome genetics!)

I have 6 helmets .. I use one. The HJC. Others make my glasses stab into my skull after about an hour.

I will third that. And as far as the noise goes if you leave the shield open about 1/4" at the bottom cuts down on the noise alot and also stps any fogging.

Clearview makes a windshield with a slight unnoticeable bend outward at the top. Forget what they call it but I have it and it helps.

What he said! The Clearview will solve all your problems. :clap2: Put one on mine and wife loves it. No more buffeting. I ordered the XL. And they call the bend "recurve" and it works by forcing the air higher up. I also have the vent which puts air into your space which would not be there without the vent.

:farmer: