IGNORED

Forum Software

Freebird

Do you want the forum software updated?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the forum software updated?

• No, don't try to fix what's not broken
    • Yes, we want the latest and greatest

Some of you may have noticed a comment that Dingy made in a thread about my new Touring Hogs site that it is using newer software that what I am using here. The reason for that was simply because I had to pay for the new version when I started the new site. Actually they have an even newer version but I don't feel that it is ready yet and don't want to fight with the errors and etc. until it becomes really stable.

The fact is, this site is running VBulletin 3.8. The new Touring Hogs site is running VBulletin 4.1. There are some fairly significant differences in layout and etc. but really nothing major. It has some integrations with social networks such as Facebook that we don't have here. I actually have those features turned off on the new site. It also has a home page, CMS, that is included with the forum software. In my opinion, the home page isn't nearly as good as what we have here.

The main reason I have not upgraded the software here is due to the MANY customizations that I have done to this site. A lot of them would have to be totally redone and many would not work at all and probably not be done. I am keeping the Touring Hogs site much simple in regards to customizations. Only additions are things that can be done with add ons and NOT programming/template manual changes are being done. If I upgrade the software here, that is the same approach I would take because doing all the programming customizations is just too difficult and have to be re-done anytime there is a security upgrade and etc.

I want to give YOU the chance to state your opinion though. Do YOU want the forum software updated or do you prefer to keep it as it is now?

Thanks for your input.

The Touring Hogs site looks "pretty" but as you said, it doesn't really give us anything extra here.

I'm for leaving this forum the way it is, mainly so you don't have to go thru a lot of work rewriting customizations. Updating the software doesn't change the way we interact here.

I wont presume to speak for others but many of us have been on this site for a long time. In that time there have been a few changes, some hardly noticed, but mostly as Don saw a need or by popular request.

I think the site has been great as it developed and always remained easy to navigate and has a familiar feel after these last few years.

So for me, I'd like to see it remain as it is. Newer don't always mean better in my eyes. We have a custom built site here. Not many others like it out there.

:thumbup: Mike

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Guest tx2sturgis

I answered No in the poll, but truth is, I wouldn't mind a couple of features added...

First, a simple button somewhere in the top menubar for 'Your Posts'...it seems the other way, the menu is context sensitive and not always available. It's SO handy for reviewing recent posting activity.

The other option I have seen on other similar boards is a way for the user to change the color scheme...usually tan or silver or maybe shades of charcoal and/or black. Baby Blue gets kinda tiring. (yes I said that!)

It helps because the color change lets the user know when his/her browser lands on the page, that he or she is already logged in. Plus it adds a bit of 'pizzaz' for whatever thats worth.

But...a complete upgrade and lose all the farkles and bling? I dont think so Tim...

:happy34:

OK Brian, ask and ye shall receive. :)

I have added the "My Posts" feature towards the right side of the lower menu bar at the top. Right beside the "Log Out" button.

The color options can be done also but please give me a few days on that one to get them designed.

Guest tx2sturgis
OK Brian, ask and ye shall receive. :)

I have added the "My Posts" feature towards the right side of the lower menu bar at the top. Right beside the "Log Out" button.

The color options can be done also but please give me a few days on that one to get them designed.

Thanks Boss!

:happy34:

Gotta keep it simple for all the old folk around here :rasberry:. From what I have seen not that many wish to use the new stuff out there like facebook .... those that do seem to be on a page some place there anyway. This works... the "my Posts" is a good idea and thanks for adding it so quickly. I belong to a local forum that offers different colours ( that is Canadian for colors by the way) and the options are quite crappy when put in use. The blue may not be everyone's favorite but it works, it is clean and simple.

Thanks for asking Don.

I have just been here 2 years now and just starting to learn my way around. I don't want to start all over again. Now some may say the change wouldn't be that much or hard to learn. So I would ask then why change? If it is just to keep up with some Harley riders then you better go ahead and get the T- Shirt to match.

I've had enough of this forum the way it is, we need to upgrade to stay current with the rest of the world, soon anybody that lands on this site will just carry on to another because they will just think that all we have is outdated information. I know it's hard to accept change, but the world is changing constantly, so let's stay with it, before we get left behind.

I just can't believe how all you guys posted in agreement. Somebody had to step in and create a fuss.

Now back to your regular programming.

I've had enough of this forum the way it is, we need to upgrade to stay current with the rest of the world, soon anybody that lands on this site will just carry on to another because they will just think that all we have is outdated information. I know it's hard to accept change, but the world is changing constantly, so let's stay with it, before we get left behind.

I just can't believe how all you guys posted in agreement. Somebody had to step in and create a fuss.

And this is coming from a guy who rides a 1st Gen.

Irony anyone???

Doesn't come easy for some.

Sheldon: heh, heh

:rotfl:

True.... good point I had not looked at it that way. :thumbsup2:

I am for leaving it the way it is. I deal with software at work and am getting really tired of constantly having to keep up with changes and their subsequent fixes. Its gotten to the point where you spend more time learning the software than you actually do using it.

Edited by saddlebum