IGNORED

Do i need a transmission upgrade?

Tisunac

I've noticed recently that I have to release my clutch lever almost all the way before it engage in to the gear. No slipping, at least nothing obvious. Just as soon as you "touch" the lever it will disengage. I've been told that you cannot adjust the clutch on the Venture. Also, I've heard of upgrading the springs and plates with a different "kits"....

Long story short - do I want to do anything or leave it as it is?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the hydraulics had air in them it would release late, not early as he describes. The hydraulics are self adjusting, just like the brakes.

One thing to look for is that the master cylinder is not too full. As the clutch wears it actually returns fluid to the master cylinder (opposite of brakes). If it's full to the top it could be preventing the clutch from fully engaging.

Another thing you can check before dropping another clutch in it is,, there is a tiny little bleed back hole up in the clutch master,, its about the size of a hair (not mine,, I got that bald thing going on).. If that tiny little hole gets blocked the piston in the master cant bleed back all the way and will hold pressure on the clutch master keeping it partially disengaged.. I have actually had that sucker build up so much pressure from heat (in the desert/hot motor/HOT fluid) that my clutch would barely engage...

If thats not it,, could definitly be warn fiber plates..

Puc

Just cause my fingers arent tired yet,,, brake masters have the same thing,, tiny little bleed back hole can plug and can cause brakes to stick on,, exactly the same scenario..

Years ago I wrote a little tech article about that issue,, not sure but that may have ended up in the Tech Library somewhere,, if you wanted to get an idea of what I am talking about that article may be still accessable.. It would be under 1st Gens if its still there... If not,, I can take a master lid off and take some pics for you......

Hopefully I am making sense with this. That doesnt always happen:rotf::rotf:

Puc

Another thing you can check before dropping another clutch in it is,, there is a tiny little bleed back hole up in the clutch master,, its about the size of a hair (not mine,, I got that bald thing going on).. If that tiny little hole gets blocked the piston in the master cant bleed back all the way and will hold pressure on the clutch master keeping it partially disengaged.. I have actually had that sucker build up so much pressure from heat (in the desert/hot motor/HOT fluid) that my clutch would barely engage...

If thats not it,, could definitly be warn fiber plates..

Puc

You can see if it's open. With the cover off pull the lever gently. At the start of its travel there should be a spurt from the hole that will ripple the surface of the fluid.

Pull it more than gently and it'll shoot a jet into your face.

Just cause my fingers arent tired yet,,, brake masters have the same thing,, tiny little bleed back hole can plug and can cause brakes to stick on,, exactly the same scenario..

Years ago I wrote a little tech article about that issue,, not sure but that may have ended up in the Tech Library somewhere,, if you wanted to get an idea of what I am talking about that article may be still accessable.. It would be under 1st Gens if its still there... If not,, I can take a master lid off and take some pics for you......

Hopefully I am making sense with this. That doesnt always happen:rotf::rotf:

Puc

I can attest to that little bleed hole givin' ya grief.... had it happen on the snowmobile this past winter, drove us nuts till we found that it was plugged.

Picture it, flying down the trail, flames shootin out the vent :yikes: stopped for a look/see ,brake disk was so hot you could almost see thru it ! :doh: