IGNORED

HID headlight installed

Still waiting for my HID to arrive. According to the company it shipped last Monday from Canada. Should be here real soon....

Hopefully things travel south across the border faster than they do coming north ;)

If you need help with the HID install etc, let me know.. I've done a few of them already.. =)

Its simply simple to do.. but there is a trick to some of it to make it even easier on you.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully things travel south across the border faster than they do coming north ;)

If you need help with the HID install etc, let me know.. I've done a few of them already.. =)

Its simply simple to do.. but there is a trick to some of it to make it even easier on you.

Have you installed on an RSTD yet? Figuring where to put the ballast or ignitor or whatever is giving me pause.

Dave

Still waiting for my HID to arrive. According to the company it shipped last Monday from Canada. Should be here real soon....

Same goes for me. They did send me an e-mail with the shipping status which said "DELIVERED"......duh....I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!

Boomer.....who has the pygmies watching the mail.

Have you installed on an RSTD yet? Figuring where to put the ballast or ignitor or whatever is giving me pause.

Dave

I dunno what you would do for a RSTD cuz this is he RSV forum? ;)

My buddy just installed one on his Kawi Nomad.. And he's impressed with the retina burn lol.. Joking.. Most of his components are out in the breeze so to speak but masked a lot of it by colouring the parts black etc..

Correction....Mine just arrived in the mail...WooooHoooooo......

Boomer.....who saved the Mailman from being sexually assaulted by the pygmies.

Mine came too........

Ruffy....who is himself a mailman and to stay away from Boomers house in the future.....:smile5:

Reading up on some of the Gen1 HID installs and they seem to have a computer issue with installing the HID. Any on the 2nd Gen?

Reading up on some of the Gen1 HID installs and they seem to have a computer issue with installing the HID. Any on the 2nd Gen?

Computer? On the 2nd Gen? I dunno..

I've been riding quite a lot now and haven't noticed anything amiss with it.. Plug and play..

Just be sure you don't any any modifiers on your lighting system, like modulators or such..

Im attempting to mount the kit now. It looks like Boomers Pygmies may have written those instructions though. It sure isnt the kings english. :smile5:

So that's what the little runts have been up to!!! I knew it wuz too quiet around here lately......

Boomer....who's gonna spike the coconut milk with laxatives and give the little "squirts" something else to do..............:innocent:

Im attempting to mount the kit now. It looks like Boomers Pygmies may have written those instructions though. It sure isnt the kings english. :smile5:

As far as my install went, not much need for instructions. Remove the old bulb from the bucket, install new bulb in the bucket. Plug into the old harness with the only plug that will fit. Find a place for the ballast and route its wires through the bucket and plug its connectors to the matching connectors. Find a hot for the red wire, find a ground. Ride.

Im attempting to mount the kit now. It looks like Boomers Pygmies may have written those instructions though. It sure isnt the kings english.

You noticed all those little typos as well? hehe

Hope you enjoy your light..

• 1 year later...
I have a question on the HID kits. Some are available in 35w and alsoa 55w kit. Is the 55w OK? Or will it tax the system too much. If it is not as taxing electricly isnt bigger better?

35W HID is the highest rating legal in the US.

There are other issues about DOT Approval as well, but most cheerfully ignore those in an attempt to see at night.

They get 50W with the same bulb, they just bump up the output from the ballast. That shortens the lifespan without adding a great deal.

A better way is to simply add one or two HID Driving Lamps.

I am considering changing out the driving/passing lamps any ways. They look so yellow next to the 80w100 bulb I am currently running. I am looking at going to clear non-fluted type halogen bulbs. I have looked at some HID types but the price is outa site. If I do go with the halogens I think I'm going to have to stay with 35w version to keep from overloading the circuit. I had found some halogens last night sealed beam type for around $8.

I am considering changing out the driving/passing lamps any ways. They look so yellow next to the 80w100 bulb I am currently running. I am looking at going to clear non-fluted type halogen bulbs. I have looked at some HID types but the price is outa site. If I do go with the halogens I think I'm going to have to stay with 35w version to keep from overloading the circuit. I had found some halogens last night sealed beam type for around $8.

HID Driving Lamps can be had from about $160 to $1000 a pair.

35W H3 Halogen bulbs cost around $3.50 from Amazon.

The difference, apart from cost, is really very simple. The halogen driving lamps let you be seen by others. The HIDs let you see where you are going, and everyone has different needs in this regard.

On the front of my bike I have a 35W HID Projector Headlamp, Bi-Xenon so I get Low and High beams. One pair of 35W halogen driving lamps, and one pair of HID driving lamps to come.

I can see, and be seen :)

I have a question on the HID kits. Some are available in 35w and alsoa 55w kit. Is the 55w OK? Or will it tax the system too much. If it is not as taxing electricly isnt bigger better?

Electrically the 55W is not an issue. The stock headlight is 60W.

I have no clue on the legal issue of 35W vs 55W. But I was thinking of upgrading to the 55W ballast, they claim 40% more light. Now I did notice that my system voltage became more stable while sitting a a red light idling with the brake on. that 25W savings made a big difference in idle voltage.

I will also be adding 2 35W HID driving lights. Since I got the HID headlight, I can not even tell when my driving lights are on.

Electrically the 55W is not an issue. The stock headlight is 60W.

I have no clue on the legal issue of 35W vs 55W. But I was thinking of upgrading to the 55W ballast, they claim 40% more light. Now I did notice that my system voltage became more stable while sitting a a red light idling with the brake on. that 25W savings made a big difference in idle voltage.

I will also be adding 2 35W HID driving lights. Since I got the HID headlight, I can not even tell when my driving lights are on.

Sounds like a plan, Jeff.

You get a lot of built-in redundancy too. Any one of those three lights is good enough to drive with, so failure of one, or even two, wouldn't leave you stranded

You might want to keep a pair of 35W halogens though. You can leave those on as running lamps in daylight because they massively increase your visibility to others.

For the HID Driving lamps I will get one spot beam, and one Euro beam. The spots send a good beam maybe 1/3rd mile straight up the road (and light up reflective surfaces much farther away than that), but are useless for cornering or seeing much to the sides (where the deer lurk). The Euro beam takes care of cornering and lights up the sides to a good distance.

Wire them so that they are triggered "on" by the High beam, but can be switched "off" independently.

There are few circumstances where you can out-ride a setup like that.

Just an fyi ... 35W HIDs generally consume about 42W for calculation, because most of the ballasts are rated at about 7W

I recently installed a 35 watt HID to my '86 venture along with a pair of CustomDynamic sunspot LED driving lights.... holy s..t is this bright. The HID has very nice light pattern with the ist gen headlight lense and the LED's fill in the road in front and side of bike. I am a happy camper. Compared to my previous 55 watt plus 2-55 watt drivers, I have unloaded my alternator by 100 watts.

Gary

HMMMM maybe I'll go with the 55w then. Like I said I'm currently running the Wagner 80w100 "off road" bulb now. So certainly if I go even to the 55w HID I'm lowering my draw right? The passing lights I dont see the HID's in my future, cost is prohibitive. LED's would be an option but cost is high there too and also reports of radio interfearence. I did find a pair of take off passing lamps from a HD that were of the reflector and bulb being seperate type. But I'm figuring the sealed beam type is least expensive. Will going to the halogen sealed beams get rid of the "yellow" beam? While 55w passing lights would be nice I'm thinking the load will be a bit much unless I run new wires. Also the load on the alternator would go up, no?