IGNORED

Cold Air Intake

Ok, got an idea. That could be trouble. We all know that cold air intakes make more HP that a stock intake, so with that in mind, I have a thought about using the air vent in fairing, with some ducting, to create a forced cold air intake back to air filter box. I know, I know, it's a big azz full dresser, but what the hell. More ponies are always good, especially on the cheap. Any thoughts????

NO. NO. NO. Don't do it. These carbs are very finicky when it comes to airflow. Just take the top off your airbox and you'll see what I mean. They need the restriction of the air box.

OK. I will hold off on that. It was just a thought. Ty for the advice Dawson. I'm new to this bike and need the help.

You're in the right place for all the help in the world. I am still a rookie compared to a lot of the guys on here, but learning. Just a little background on what I am was talking about, my first Venture is an 86 that had been setting for a couple of years and trying to tune it in was making me pull my hair out. I had the air box open and watching the carbs while working on it. They were popping and back firing like nobody's business. I gave up and closed it up for the night to keep critters out, came out the next day and fired it up to hear the sweetest running engine I could ask for. That was long before I found this group, $12 a year has saved me a fortune in time and parts not to mention the enjoyment of keeping up on here. I'm not gonna say you can't ram more air in there but rejetting the carbs and matching the exhaust to breathe that air will be a challenge. I bet somebody on here has tried it and hopefully they'll jump in and share the experience.

There have been posts about some drilling holes in the air boxes for more air only to have to seal them back up. I always like more ponies too but have come to the conclusion its got all I need. You might check out the V Max conversion some have done to gain a little power and then changing the gearing in the tranny to put the power on the road a little better. It's very interesting to me but at my age I don't need the temptation to ride like that, I have a weak level of self control anyway.

I was trying to interject a little humor with the NO.NO.NO, please don't take offense to that since humor doesn't show up well in printed word.

Ok, got an idea. That could be trouble. We all know that cold air intakes make more HP that a stock intake, so with that in mind, I have a thought about using the air vent in fairing, with some ducting, to create a forced cold air intake back to air filter box. I know, I know, it's a big azz full dresser, but what the hell. More ponies are always good, especially on the cheap. Any thoughts????

Hey Jimbo,

I put individual pod filters on each intake and removed the stock filter box. The pod filters had a low pressure drop and I was forced to put machined restrictors under each one (basically a big washer with a machined hole) to get the airflow correct. The bike totally rips and is running right at the correct fuel/air mix. I did temporarily install a fuel/air sensor in one pipe to see what was going on. Once everything was sorted out, I took off the sensor and gauge.

zag

IMG_4231-small.jpg

Hey Zagger. That bike is radical. I can't believe that's a Venture. I'm not looking to go anywhere close to that. Actually after reading all the feedback here, I've decided to leave well enuff alone. This bike is plenty powerful for touring, even with a full load. I prob should have carbs tuned though. Just not sure how to. Yeah I'm one of those. I do all my own mechanic work, if I can. Why pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up for free. ;). To be honest there just isn't any real good bike mechanics around here, except for the Orange county chopper guys. I basically want to keep the bike stock anyway. I'll do some electronic mods, but this bike is in good shape. What's that ole saying. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I wanted to change the fork oil last weekend but that allen nut is huge. I have to find the key some place.

Thanx again Dawson. Appreciate the concern. I am def heeding the warning.

I did want to know, what is the average fuel mileage on these bikes? I'm getting around 36 mpg

Actually there's a lot of evidence that the "COLD AIR INTAKE" kits do nothing for horsepower according to the dyno. For many its more noise must be more power! On some kits without adjusting all the other parameters a cCIA will actually adversely affect the power and drivability.

...I did want to know, what is the average fuel mileage on these bikes? I'm getting around 36 mpg

I've seen a few who said they get 40-42 mpg. Ive gotten as high as 39mpg(on one tank, tuned very lean), but average 36mpg +/- on my '83.

Comments:

-Tuning it lean doesn't necessarily increase gas mileage, but might be limiting the HP so there goes the gas mileage.

- Balancing carbs is not rocket science, all you really need is one vacuum gauge, although one gauge hooked to 4 individual tubes is better.

- Get the right size Allen on a 3\8" drive for best results, then use an air impact to get er done.

The only place a CAI (Cold Air Intake) can make any difference is at WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Any other throttle position ant it is the butterfly valve that is restricting the airflow. As mentioned unless you wast to mess with rejetting the carbs, do not mess with the air box or the air filter element in any way. Many have tried and most have failed. If you need / want more power, the easiest option (not really easy, just easiest) is the V-Max head and / or intake swap.

The size you need for that Allen on the top of the forks is 17mm. You can make your own out of a bolt and a couple of nuts, or get the set of hex bit drives from Harbor freight that goes up to 17mm. There are quite a few places that you can buy a 17mm hex bit.

Edited by Flyinfool

- Get the right size Allen on a 3\8" drive for best results, then use an air impact to get er done.

I have to say using an air impact driver on the fork cap is a dangerous idea. The threads are very fine and are extremely easy to cross thread. Using an air impact driver will make it very easy to create a new thread pattern. Once it is properly started the cap will go in very easy.

I have to say using an air impact driver on the fork cap is a dangerous idea. The threads are very fine and are extremely easy to cross thread. Using an air impact driver will make it very easy to create a new thread pattern. Once it is properly started the cap will go in very easy.

You are absolutely one hundred and ten percent correct,, OK maybe 150 percent. I was thinking the wrong nut. That top one is: handle with care, it was the bottom one that I was thinking about,,,, dumb me!!!! don't need to touch that one for an oil change.